GDT: A Song of Snow and Fire: Avalanche (7-3-2) @ Flames (7-5-1). 7PM MT, Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Had a friend over for TNF and the game was such a blowout... Switched over to the Flames and that was a 4-1 blowout. Watched IASIP and came back to 4-3 and then the world started to make sense again. Blessed be everyone.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
The only time I have witness such epic terribleness and epic amaizinglyness were the 1922-2018 Stanley Cup champions.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Gio not having to babysit Hamilton = PPG Gio

Brodie lets Gio play his offensive game because Brodie actually plays defence so Gio doesn't have to do every thing on his line. Brodie is so damn underrated by Flames fans. Brodano is back.
It's also the system. Just look at how much Hamonic is getting up in the play this year. The defence is no longer being neutered offensively.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Dq-CZQ8U8AEzugG.jpg

Beautiful

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Man, how do you even pick three stars for this?

Instead of picking three stars, here is the one supermassive blackhole:

GiordanoMonahanValimakiBacklundTkachukFrolikNealBennettBrodieLindholmAnderssonRyanGaudreau

You might think you're 3 goals up on us, but nothing escapes, not even Varlamov, or light.

What is this, our fifth comeback win this year? Lol the main boards are gonna hate so hard.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's legitimately a better player than he lets on. But being stapled to Gaudreau has let some bad habits creep in.

No doubt about it. I've been saying it for years. When he's forced to play with Johnny he seems to be always chasing the play - he doesn't have the pace to have success at that speed.

But on his own line he's able to dictate the pace more. So instead of chasing he's driving, which also means he's moving his feet a lot more. He's not one of those guys who can do everything at top speed - but at 80% he's extremely effective.

Gaudreau plays the game so quickly you can't afford to not be a great skater as his C. Gaudreau excels in the high pace give and go game. Yeah, he's able to dangle and set guys up back door but he's always been at his best when he's only holding the puck momentarily. When he's forced to do more puck carrying he becomes an easier target and isn't able to get lost in coverage. Lindholm and Bennett are much more natural partners for a guy like Gaudreau.

Would love to see the following lines:

Bennett - Lindholm - Gaudreau
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Dube - Monahan - Neal
Ryan - Jankowski - Czarnik

That essentially gives you:
1 first line
2 solid 2nd lines (a checking line and a scoring line)
1 3rd line

That also puts Gaudreau on his off side, which I think will make him a much bigger shooting threat and allow him to set up more plays on his forehand when he pulls up at the blue line or cuts across the middle.

Neal and Monahan have also looked good together at times, and I think Dube would excel with 2 great goal scorers on his line.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That tends to be the case every time him and Gaudreau are broken apart. But then the coaches go right back to keeping them stapled together.

Obviously they work well together but the team is better off by having multiple line drivers.

Yep. I don't think you'll see quite the same production levels from Monahan on his own, but you'll see a much better player and the overall team production would see a big bump, especially if you drop a guy like Bennett on the top line. He'd go from a 25p player to a 60p player overnight, just like how Lindholm has gone from a 45p player to a PPG player.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
No doubt about it. I've been saying it for years. When he's forced to play with Johnny he seems to be always chasing the play - he doesn't have the pace to have success at that speed.

But on his own line he's able to dictate the pace more. So instead of chasing he's driving, which also means he's moving his feet a lot more. He's not one of those guys who can do everything at top speed - but at 80% he's extremely effective.

Gaudreau plays the game so quickly you can't afford to not be a great skater as his C. Gaudreau excels in the high pace give and go game. Yeah, he's able to dangle and set guys up back door but he's always been at his best when he's only holding the puck momentarily. When he's forced to do more puck carrying he becomes an easier target and isn't able to get lost in coverage. Lindholm and Bennett are much more natural partners for a guy like Gaudreau.

Dube - Monahan - Neal

1 first line
1 3rd line

That also puts Gaudreau on his off side, which I think will make him a much bigger shooting threat and allow him to set up more plays on his forehand when he pulls up at the blue line or cuts across the middle.

Neal and Monahan have also looked good together at times, and I think Dube would excel with 2 great goal scorers on his line.

Gaudreau has been tried a handful of times at RW when that was a huge hole for us. Never seemed to work out. I wouldn’t touch the forward lines to be honest we’re one of the highest scoring teams in the league right now even though our power play has been iffy

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Dube - Monahan - Neal

1 first line
1 3rd line

I don’t mind these lines, but swap Tkachuk and Dube. Then sign me up.

Reactions: DomBarr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad