Speculation: A Solution at LD, MDZ?

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Just noticed the main board had a thread talking about how Michael Del Zotto is a scratch for their game against Montreal and very well may be moved.

While MDZ might be a little bit of a reclamation project, he would certainly be an upgrade over.... what ever it is we have at LD behind Toby.

What do you guys think? What would you give up for him?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Just noticed the main board had a thread talking about how Michael Del Zotto is a scratch for their game against Montreal and very well may be moved.

While MDZ might be a little bit of a reclamation project, he would certainly be an upgrade over.... what ever it is we have at LD behind Toby.

What do you guys think? What would you give up for him?

Honestly? I think we are good at D. I think we have the guys to win back there. If anything we need a little subtraction.

IF we were to add someone, IMHO it would have to be a defensive stud. A legit top 4, physical guy who owns his end of the rink. Those guys are not easy to find. I still think we have some rough pieces and with the additions of Ellerby and Pardy and the return of Redmond and Trouba coming back soon, we have a much more balanced D corps.

We could stand to trade Buff, Stuart and Postma, though our depth could be challenged if we did that.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Honestly? I think we are good at D. I think we have the guys to win back there. If anything we need a little subtraction.

IF we were to add someone, IMHO it would have to be a defensive stud. A legit top 4, physical guy who owns his end of the rink. Those guys are not easy to find. I still think we have some rough pieces and with the additions of Ellerby and Pardy and the return of Redmond and Trouba coming back soon, we have a much more balanced D corps.

We could stand to trade Buff, Stuart and Postma, though our depth could be challenged if we did that.

The bolded are fringe NHLers. Trouba plays the right side primarily. The left side is quite awful in my opinion(behind Enstrom of course)

The Jets are 5th in the league in turnovers, that has to be in part due the lack of solid puck movement from the D.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
The bolded are fringe NHLers. Trouba plays the right side primarily. The left side is quite awful in my opinion(behind Enstrom of course)

The Jets are 5th in the league in turnovers, that has to be in part due the lack of solid puck movement from the D.

yah I'd be very willing to move soemthing liek Postma/Redmond + w/e for MDZ but i have no idea whats reasonable.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I'd love to have MDZ as the #4 but the question is what do you give up? Certainly not a forward or prospect. Unless they're looking at Buff or Bogo for MDZ+, with the plus in the latter particularly being an overpayment, I don't see what we could give up for him that wouldn't hurt us. On the other hand, I'd be pretty ecstatic if we got MDZ plus a good forward for Buff and filled in some major holes.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Redmond, I'd like to keep him to see if he can make a comeback, they can have Thor and a couple 7-8 D men or not interested.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Offensive defensemen is not an issue. What is an issue is the lack of a pure shutdown, defensive defenseman to play the other teams' star players with Bogo.

Until we have that we can have a D including Campbell, Gardiner, Schultz, Byfuglien, Enstrom and Franson with Oduya in the press box but we'd still never keep the puck out of our own end enough to win.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I like MDZ quite a bit and think he could fit in well here. The only question to me would be the price. Him and Clitsome competing for the spot seems beneficial to the team.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Offensive defensemen is not an issue. What is an issue is the lack of a pure shutdown, defensive defenseman to play the other teams' star players with Bogo.

Until we have that we can have a D including Campbell, Gardiner, Schultz, Byfuglien, Enstrom and Franson with Oduya in the press box but we'd still never keep the puck out of our own end enough to win.

Best way to keep a puck out of your end is to keep it in your opponents end. :dunno:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Best way to keep a puck out of your end is to keep it in your opponents end. :dunno:

Which in order to happen you have to retake possession first. If all you have is PMD you're going to get run over by any top team in the league that can protect the puck.

I'm well aware of the Corsi influence in hockey now, but lets not that make us forget that you still need to build a TEAM to win. Not just really good at one thing.

Honestly, tell me that list of awesome PMD and our crop of forwards with Pavs in net wouldn't get LIT THE **** UP by any top 5 team.

You still need to defend to win. And sometimes you need physical, smart players to win battles and neutralize other teams stars.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Ugh, as both a Rangers and Jets fan, I hate when there's speculation of a trade between them. :cry:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I don't see who we would trade for MDZ. I know they have interest in Postma but that's out.

I'd rather go for a pure physical/shutdown guy like Coburn or hit it out of the park in a guy like Edler. MDZ is worse than both IMO.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Which in order to happen you have to retake possession first. If all you have is PMD you're going to get run over by any top team in the league that can protect the puck.

I'm well aware of the Corsi influence in hockey now, but lets not that make us forget that you still need to build a TEAM to win. Not just really good at one thing.

Honestly, tell me that list of awesome PMD and our crop of forwards with Pavs in net wouldn't get LIT THE **** UP by any top 5 team.

You still need to defend to win. And sometimes you need physical, smart players to win battles and neutralize other teams stars.

Excellent post....the shutdown d-man is criminally underrated..

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Best way to have a good Corsi team is to accumulate good players.

Shutdown, puck moving, whatever... these are just describing how players do it, not whether they do it well or not.

There are shutdown guys who promote possession and shutdown guys who anchor it.
There are puck moving guys who promote possession and puck moving guys who anchor it.

Also, curious as to why players are all offensive or defensive and cannot be most. Most defensive guys are named as such just because they are not very good at creating offensive opportunities so they are used defensively. Actual players who are highly talented at reducing scoring chances, suppressing shots against and not having any offensive talent is quite rare.

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Best way to have a good Corsi team is to accumulate good players.

Shutdown, puck moving, whatever... these are just describing how players do it, not whether they do it well or not.

There are shutdown guys who promote possession and shutdown guys who anchor it.
There are puck moving guys who promote possession and puck moving guys who anchor it.

Also, curious as to why players are all offensive or defensive and cannot be most. Most defensive guys are named as such just because they are not very good at creating offensive opportunities so they are used defensively. Actual players who are highly talented at reducing scoring chances, suppressing shots against and not having any offensive talent is quite rare.

This all seems true. I think many of the skills used to create offense at lower levels can be applied on the other side of the puck. My example was an extreme one obviously. I just wanted to hammer home that I think our defense's biggest hole is a high end defender in front of our net.

Being less than a 20 point defender isn't a necessity to being a good defensive defenseman. But it kinda is once you take availability of defenseman who create offense AND are rock solid in their own end. Those guys are basically top pairing defenseman, right? We don't have any player that fits this mould despite having 3 borderline top pairing guys already, a guy we hope could be in Trouba.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Ellerby is 24. He's still young in D years and from what he's shown me he is more than a 'fringe NHL'er' . He may only ever be a 5 - 6 guy but he definitely belongs here.

Calling Redmond a fringer is a little harsh considering he's played less than 10 games in the NHL. Let's see him play a little more before we condemn him. He has shown a LOT of resilience and battle to get to this level and something tells me he's one of those guys who will not be denied.

Stuart is fading fast and I agree he's a pressbox guy. Postma? Who knows. He might excel on a team with less offensive guys. Pardy has been very good for us but judging by his history he is a tweener at this point.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Jet I love your avatar. Combines my favorite two things: internet memes and consuela. She's also useful for ridiculous trade proposals.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
has anyone seen Del Zotto play much? I can't remember the last time I watched the NYR. They always struck me as a pretty dull team..Lundqvist and not too much else..

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Jet I love your avatar. Combines my favorite two things: internet memes and consuela. She's also useful for ridiculous trade proposals.

Might be my favorite secondary cartoon character ever. Her answers seem as nonsensical as Noel some times so I thought it fit haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad