A Short But Sweet Stint As A Hawk

Martin Riggs

You wanna see crazy?
Jan 27, 2014
LAPD- Homicide
I'm gonna go back to 1994. Paul Ysebaert was a guy I liked right before we moved out of the old Stadium. I remember him being on Detroit and he'd always burn us so I was excited when we got him. Darryl Sutter hated him so he was promptly traded for Jim Cummins. He even went as far as mentioning in the paper that we would not win a Cup with Ysebaert on our 2nd line. Even though he put up ok numbers here. You now know everything about Ysebaert's short stint as a Hawk.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
I'm gonna go back to 1994. Paul Ysebaert was a guy I liked right before we moved out of the old Stadium. I remember him being on Detroit and he'd always burn us so I was excited when we got him. Darryl Sutter hated him so he was promptly traded for Jim Cummins. He even went as far as mentioning in the paper that we would not win a Cup with Ysebaert on our 2nd line. Even though he put up ok numbers here. You now know everything about Ysebaert's short stint as a Hawk.

Larms also :(

Was at the game when Larms broke Darryl's rookie goal record, when Larms got to the bench Darryl patted him on his helmet but some fans think he held a grudge against Larms because of and well after that.

Seems childish but who really knows.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
As did Vermette, though it took a while. And as it turned out Hawks needed Timo as well, with Rozy injured. Stan came out looking pretty good.

Yep a great move and Stan's gamble paid off, maybe he can do it again.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Players with some short term excitement back in the day that come to mind were Tonelli and Kravchuk.

Will never forget Foley describing Igor after scoring a big goal for the Hawks in the old barn, he then skated around the ice waving to the crowd who gave him a standing ovation which went on for some time.

Tonelli worked very hard when he came to play for the Hawks but was snake bitten until one night scored a big goal and again the stadium crowd stood for a very long time.

Wow the old barn gives me goose bumps just thinking about it, no fan that never experienced it will never fathom those long standing ovations, even the officials would stand there on the ice and wait until the crowd simmered so they could hear each other.

I recall many times the officials having to blow their whistle several times (not like today to warn players) while the crowd was on their feet as the players could not hear it.

Those things will never happen again anywhere, great memories. I feel very blessed to be a Hawks fan and even back then.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I liked Campoli. Wanted him back.

He actually was a solid bottom pairing guy for us. Fit the system well. Unfortunately he will always be remembered for that giveaway. And others might remember him after that for getting greedy feeling he was worth more than what the Hawks were offering him to bring him back.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Yea, he definitely overestimated his worth. But like you said, he was a good bottom pairing defenseman that fit our system beautifully.

Nobody remembers Alex Gonzalez muffing the double play ball. I get it.

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
I was always kind of a fan of Turco before he replaced Niemi. Was kind of broken up of losing Niemi, but Turco softened the blow for me. Think he ended up getting replaced that year mid-way through the season by Crow. Always seemed to handle it pretty well, and just seemed like a really nice guy.

Or there was that Hasek guy who turned out to be a decent goalie.

FinnFan8

Expert Thread-Killer
Dec 7, 2015
SF, CA
I find it interesting no one has mentioned Doug Gilmour yet.

Short in stature, but not in stint; he was here almost two full seasons. But a great guy and a stabilizing presence. Classic WWW-era move acquiring former greats in the twilight of their careers. Was sad to see him go, along with JP Dumont, one of my favorites back then. His career never panned out like I thought it would either...

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Short in stature, but not in stint; he was here almost two full seasons. But a great guy and a stabilizing presence. Classic WWW-era move acquiring former greats in the twilight of their careers. Was sad to see him go, along with JP Dumont, one of my favorites back then. His career never panned out like I thought it would either...

More like a season and a half, to me that is a "short" period of time..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad