A Short But Sweet Stint As A Hawk

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
i remember the first year the hawks made the playoffs since the first lockout ended, and samuel pahlsson being a steady veteran presence. think he helped the young guys a lot that playoff.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Handzus for life (need to go back to the old avatar)

Most of mine were already mentioned (I also had an unhealthy liking of Berard back in the day, defensive inefficiency aside).

I know he was kind of here for two seasons, but I was a big fan of Jason Williams. He was awesome with Toews/Kane at the start of their rookie season.

But my favourite will always be Andrei Trefilov, who stopped Mats Sundin on a penalty shot with a minute to go to go at the Gardens to preserve his only win as a Blackhawk in what was probably the first live Hawks win I ever saw.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Ron Sedlbauer the original Cy Young of hockey.

He had the most wicked wrister I have ever seen, great athlete but wasn't that interested. Left hockey to run the family shoe biz.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Ron Sedlbauer the original Cy Young of hockey.

He had the most wicked wrister I have ever seen, great athlete but wasn't that interested. Left hockey to run the family shoe biz.

That's a bit before my time. I didn't know he ever played for the Hawks. What year?

Martin Riggs

You wanna see crazy?
Jan 27, 2014
LAPD- Homicide
Lang, Smolinski, and Williams are excellent examples. Liked all those guys. Even the over the hill Bondra. 1 of the only 4 guys to score their 500th career goal in a Hawk sweater too. (Hull, Mikita, & Goulet being the others)

Radim Vrbata is another guy who I'll mention even though he wasn't as good here as he was after he left. Maybe should've held on to him a little longer.

Just thought of another.. Anybody remember Jeff Hamilton?

Edit- Disgruntled mentioned Hamilton

FinnFan8

Expert Thread-Killer
Dec 7, 2015
SF, CA
Ville Nieminen, and his permanent, ****-eating grin.

Also for a slightly longer term, Jaroslav Spacek. I still remember that scoreboard video when players were asked if they prefered hotdogs or hamburgers. Spacek just said, totally deadpan, "BOTH."

FinnFan8

Expert Thread-Killer
Dec 7, 2015
SF, CA
Oh yeah, and then there was that exciting time where Theo Fleury hit NHL-rock-bottom with the Hawks... Short, if not sweet...

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Oh yeah, and then there was that exciting time where Theo Fleury hit NHL-rock-bottom with the Hawks... Short, if not sweet...

Shoot that reminds me of my second favourite Chris Simon for telling 12 year old me to f off when I asked for a puck during warmups in Buffalo.

What a team that was.

On a side note Wendel Clark lives in my condo and I've occasionally thought of lighting some money on fire and asking him to sign the charred remains (guess this my 'short but not sweet' post)

FinnFan8

Expert Thread-Killer
Dec 7, 2015
SF, CA
Shoot that reminds me of my second favourite Chris Simon for telling 12 year old me to f off when I asked for a puck during warmups in Buffalo.

What a team that was.

On a side note Wendel Clark lives in my condo and I've occasionally thought of lighting some money on fire and asking him to sign the charred remains (guess this my 'short but not sweet' post)

Those were such great years :shakehead. If it weren't for $8 student tickets and the ever-present possibility of the Hawks actually coming out to play against Detroit, I doubt I'd have hung with the team through the late 90s and 00s...

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
I was going to Michel goulet, but I forgot he was here for 4+ seasons. It sucks being old. One of my favorite players from when I had season tickets. Seriously though, my dad was so pissed when we got rid of Hasek, because he hated belfour and always said Hasek was going to be a beast

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
One more, John Tonelli (I think it was him) didn't play long for the hawks, but there was a sound bite they used to play on WBBM with him saying Hard Hawk Hockey that was awesome. Wish I could find it.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

What a team that was.

Chris Simon with Nylander was a monster combination in NHL Hitz.

Joemoe

Aug 3, 2015
I enjoyed Brad Richards past year with us, obviously isn't the player he used to be but he was fine for the 2 mil, probably my favorite moment was his goal versus the Rangers at MSG and Darling getting his first career shutout in that game.

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago
I enjoyed Brad Richards past year with us, obviously isn't the player he used to be but he was fine for the 2 mil, probably my favorite moment was his goal versus the Rangers at MSG and Darling getting his first career shutout in that game.

Was gonna say this also. I enjoyed B-rad when he was here. Esp the bromance him and Kaner shared.

FinnFan8

Expert Thread-Killer
Dec 7, 2015
SF, CA
Chris Simon with Nylander was a monster combination in NHL Hitz.

LOL. Nylander was so boss, though. He must have been immensely frustrated with those Hawks teams. Loved the times where he'd just circle and stickhandle endlessly just waiting for SOMEONE to get open.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
And if the Hawks had not choked the lead away in wcf game 7, Zus would have been remembered as a hero of the 2014 Cup run for his game 5 ot goal.

The Post-Traumatic Zus Disorder some Hawks fans still have is bizarre.

Are you kidding? Zeus's miscues and penalties were the biggest reasons we lost games 2 and 3 (were dominating game 2 until Zeus' blunder opened the floodgates). He was easily the worst player on the ice for either team in 3-4 of those games. So he scored a "game winner". Big deal. It wasn't enough to cancel out the futility we saw for the rest of that series AND the playoffs.

Q's stupidity cost us a Cup that season. One, he stuck with Zeus despite the better options we had available that season. Two, the reluctance to abort the box and flop PK strategy, which let Doughty have all the ****ing room in the world, led to some ridiculously easy LA PP goals.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I have to mention Turco. Not for his on-ice impact, mind you, but from his off-ice. Everything I saw and heard was how incredible of a team player he was despite really losing what was supposed to be his starting gig and I have zero doubt that he played a role in developing Crow into the goalie he is today.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Ville Nieminen

img-1288332865418.jpg

Service with a smile

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad