A SERIOUS DISCUSSION - Riley Nash

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Ok, but it still makes no sense to me. Gerbe is FAR more accomplished and proven in the NHL than Nash, I can't even see how one would say otherwise. But even if I just look a the last couple of years where you are talking about Nash's consistency, Nathan Gerbe has played more games, been healthier, and has outproduced Nash both of those two years.

Again, my point is that Gerbe hasn't proven a thing except that he's been more inconsistent over his longer career and has never played a full season until this past year.

Nash is showing a steady, improving trajectory. My overall point is that Nash, not Gerbe, is the piece of this proposed 3rd line that represents stability.

I like Gerbe and I'm the optimist of the board. I think this 3rd line is going to prove a lot of folks wrong (I think they will put up solid offensive numbers). I'm not so sure that this line will even be a thing. If Boychuk does what I believe he can, then the 3rd line might contain a Jiri Tlusty instead.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Again, my point is that Gerbe hasn't proven a thing except that he's been more inconsistent over his longer career and has never played a full season until this past year.

Nash is showing a steady, improving trajectory. My overall point is that Nash, not Gerbe, is the piece of this proposed 3rd line that represents stability.

Ok, we'll just disagree on this and that's fine. To me, a guy with multiple seasons under his belt and has multiple seasons of better production is more proven than a guy who has not quite 1 full season (73/82 games) and 1 not quite half season (32/48 games) and isn't as productive, but each to their own. If Nash can put a few more seasons under his belt and improve on his performance/production, then great, the Canes need that.

I like Gerbe and I'm the optimist of the board. I think this 3rd line is going to prove a lot of folks wrong (I think they will put up solid offensive numbers). I'm not so sure that this line will even be a thing. If Boychuk does what I believe he can, then the 3rd line might contain a Jiri Tlusty instead.

You are probably right. I'm not sure what the lines will be honestly since Peters is insistent on having 3 scoring lines. As was said earlier, Boychuk really is a key. If he shows he belongs and can be a viable top 9 NHL scorer, it opens up so many more options.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I haven't liked Nash's play in the past but admit he has been playing well. I'll gladly eat crow if he has seriously turned into a competent NHLer and continues to contribute.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I really don't disagree too much with my initial interpretation of his skillset. He's being given as much ice as he can handle right now and he's playing good hockey. But as mentioned, not overly impressive in either end of the ice. He's the best natural center of what's left on the roster right now.... but that's damning with faint praise.

Ideally I would love to see him with Terry and Boychuk when everyone gets remotely healthy. I liked the potential of that line because of the experience those guys have playing together and knowing how each other play.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Thus far I stand very corrected, and I'm quite pleased about it. Hopefully he can keep it up. The best part is, it's not just his production, he looks better most of the time.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I said before that I'd eat crow if Nash ever became more than a tweener and he has certainly played well so far. however, I'm going to have to wait for a while yet before I take the first bite. it's just too early to say much of anything about anyone. besides, he almost got killed last night......

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He also got abused on Columbus' second goal. I'm still not sure he's defensively capable enough to play center.

Yeah, that's a valid concern and only time will tell. I wouldn't base if off of that 1 play though, as every NHL player gets abused defensively at one time or another in this league. Chara got abused by Ray Whitney for instance, yet at the time was the best defender in the league. I like what I've seen from Nash so far and I think he's playing on a line 1 or 2 above where he should be. Ideally, should be getting 3rd line minutes and last night, he had the most shifts (31) and largest TOI of any forward on the team.

On the flipside, I've been pleasantly surprised by how solid Rask looks defensively.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I know, you're right, but it's a reservation I've had for awhile. He's looked passable for most of the year, but that was pretty weak.

Also, speaking of Rask, he leads the team in shots on goal.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I thought it was a pretty great move by Foligno. The weird response from Sekera made it a more dangerous attempt than it should have been though.

In general, however, Riley probably needs to be reevaluated completely given what appears to be increased size/strength/speed (if these things aren't being imagined).

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I said before that I'd eat crow if Nash ever became more than a tweener and he has certainly played well so far. however, I'm going to have to wait for a while yet before I take the first bite. it's just too early to say much of anything about anyone. besides, he almost got killed last night......

If his name was Nashov or Nashevsky you probably would've fried that sucker up yesterday. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad