A SERIOUS DEBATE: How will this team get better?

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I'd do Tlusty plus a 2nd if they could buy low and they got a good review from Paul Maurice. Best part is it'd actually help the tank this yearm

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Probably not, but they're either going to have to pay Tlusty or replace him (which probably won't come within), and that won't be cheap to do itself. If they could somehow jettison salary elsewhere (Liles), then it could make some sense.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
^they need to be using liles' money on defense. like on sekera or his replacement. it shouldn't cost $5m+ to replace tlusty. (even if it did, they would be better off just not replacing him and focusing on defense).

you can't have kane here without getting rid of one of the other high paid forwards.

going beyond the salary issue, i'm puzzled as to how kane fits here with the rest of the forwards. staal, staal, lindholm, semin, kane, skinner? it seems like more of the same issue with the tunnel vision and lack of playmaking talent from our top 6. the only thing that makes sense stylistically is skinner 4 kane.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Yeah, I suppose Sekera's/replacement is pretty much going to blow the budget this off-season. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to play to the cap?

Speaking of that, man, this would be perfect to play around with in Capgeek's armchair GM thing. Oh well.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
I'd do Tlusty plus a 2nd if they could buy low and they got a good review from Paul Maurice. Best part is it'd actually help the tank this yearm

Maurice has been Kane's HC for just a little over a year and he has healthy scratched him multiple times...there's no need to ask for a review.

Putting that aside...if you add Kane to the Canes, next year they would have ~$58.5MM in cap payroll committed already with 9 forwards, 3 d-men, and 2 goalies under contract.

If their internal cap stays close to what they have this season, they'd have ~$7-8MM to sign at least 3 forwards and 3 D-men.

As things sit now, there isn't a fit.

^they need to be using liles' money on defense. like on sekera or his replacement. it shouldn't cost $5m+ to replace tlusty. (even if it did, they would be better off just not replacing him and focusing on defense).

you can't have kane here without getting rid of one of the other high paid forwards.

going beyond the salary issue, i'm puzzled as to how kane fits here with the rest of the forwards. staal, staal, lindholm, semin, kane, skinner? it seems like more of the same issue with the tunnel vision and lack of playmaking talent from our top 6. the only thing that makes sense stylistically is skinner 4 kane.

Without a Kane trade, they have ~$13-14MM to sign 4 F and 3 D...allocate, conservatively, $6MM to Sekera and they now have that same $7-8MM to sign 4 F and 2 D...much better off in that scenario.

RE Skinner for Kane: I like Kane's game a little better...but not enough on a risk adjusted basis to like that trade.

Last edited:

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Skinner's skating separates him from the rest of the league. That's mainly why I'd be hesitant to make that trade. It's also the reason why he's already sustained 3 concussions because he's relied more on his athleticism and skill more than his hockey IQ. Kane's similar in that regard, hence the reason why he's out for the season with a shoulder injury.

Word on Kane is that the Jets GM is looking for full value despite his issues, and that a one-for-one swap is likely all but out the door until the offseason.

Last edited:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Maybe this doesn't fit here, but I'm putting together a mock trade deadline, and looking for someone to be the pretend Hurricanes GM. If you're interested, PM me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad