A SERIOUS DEBATE: Cam Ward . . .

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Screw it. I'm optimistic. I forgot how much fun actually liking this team is.

He's back. He won't play this well for the rest of the year but the Cam of the last two years is gone, and the old one is back.

*ChuckW morphs into a unicorn and I ride on his back into a cloud*

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
When looking at the difference between unadjusted and adjusted save percentage this year, Ward's actually rises by a full percentage point, best in the NHL. Of course, we are dealing with miniscule sample sizes, but it shows that he's played even better than his numbers indicate.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
He's back! Until he lets in a "softie" that ALL elite goaltenders would stop every single time.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
he has looked vastly more comfortable in goal than i remember since he injured his back in the playoffs in 2009

Bingo. He's letting the game come to him again, he's not fighting it like he seemed to be doing for a while. This is by far the best I've seen him play since we had Barrasso as our goalie coach. And yes, I honestly do think the difference is the goalie coach.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Bingo. He's letting the game come to him again, he's not fighting it like he seemed to be doing for a while. This is by far the best I've seen him play since we had Barrasso as our goalie coach. And yes, I honestly do think the difference is the goalie coach.

As do I.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
He's made a lot of plays with his stick that have saved goals. Plays that previously he wasn't making. That's a big deal. As we've seen in the past, getting Cam on a roll and into s rhythm is paramount to his success. The temptation to overwork him is what follies though. Hopefully they give Khudobin the San Jose game. The Bruins feast on rebounds so that would be a bad matchup for sure.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not to mention Dobby played there for a while recently so they'll have a good knowledge of his tendencies and how to exploit them.

That and Ward has, at least in the past, had a reputation as being a Bruins killer.

bluedevil58*

Trade him.

GIF-chloe-concerned-confused-girl-kid-look-say-what-side-eye-side-eyeing-suspicious-think-thinking-GIF.gif

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I really hope he's found his game again. For all the **** he got on this board (and among other fanbases), I can tell you no one was harder on Ward than Ward himself during that stretch of poor play.

We've all seen what confidence (or lack thereof) can do to a player. He's riding high right now, and he mentioned after last night's game that he was "having fun" again.

If Khudobin can rebound (Ha. Puns.), Carolina might have a 1A/1B tandem we've long since desired

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Man, we are all giving one another one hell of a reacharound for a seventh place team.

You just wait till he returns a 2nd. Reacharounds for everyone! Francis sorta screwed up letting people get hope. Can't trade him now or he sends an inconsistent message. We wait for the inevitable return to **** and pray.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Rah rah rah go hcanes

Estaalo top five center

Kevnhendson top five smile

Camwardo top five goalie

Go team go

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
When looking at the difference between unadjusted and adjusted save percentage this year, Ward's actually rises by a full percentage point, best in the NHL. Of course, we are dealing with miniscule sample sizes, but it shows that he's played even better than his numbers indicate.

The adjust save% is interesting. I like it a lot for the low and medium zones. But for in close, it seems like the quality of shot is so varied and would depend heavily on style of play and defensive skill.

It'd be interesting to see if teams that play attacking hockey have worse save% in the high quality zones compared to teams that focus on clogging up the neutral zone.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I still say trade him. Glad he is playing well again, but now is the time to unload that contract.

I highly doubt anybody is going to take on his contract because of 5 good games, especially at this point in the season. There are only about a dozen or so teams that could even take on his contract and most of those teams don't want/need a $6.3M goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad