A SERIOUS DEBATE: 2017/18 Expectations

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I definitely think there is an urgency to make the playoffs this year, which is one of the reasons I started this thread. Looking at the division and roster though, I don't think it's a given that they will, but I do expect them to be in the hunt all year long though and with a few breaks, I think they can make it.

I think there's urgency for a few reasons. First off, RF and BP are now in year 4 of their tenure and they've had very little turn-over on the roster this year (in terms of player losses). For all the accolades the media and other fan bases give to RF and BP, it's time to show results. Secondly, the Canes themselves have set the expectations. Ya, I know every year a coach and GM says "Our goal is to make the playoffs", but I always viewed it as lip service in previous years. This year, with the off season moves they made, I think they fully expect to make the playoffs and have set fan expectations. Fail to deliver on that and it could even further suck the life out of the fan base. Thirdly, if the Canes want any chance of re-signing guys like Skinner and Faulk, they need to get to the playoffs. Lastly, if the new ownership deal goes through, IMO, it would be huge to make the playoffs right away.

The past 3 years, my overall view has been that it wasn't urgent to make the playoffs and it was best to be patient and build the team teh right way. This year though, I think there is an urgency.

I agree 100% with this sentiment. I think there is urgency and it is as real from the team's perspective as it is from the fan base's. We make the playoffs and guys like Skinner and Faulk might think twice about free agency and "the grass being greener".

That was supposed to be 60+ points. But I won't complain if he wins the Rocket Richard trophy too.

I think you'll see a fairly noticeable but incremental leap in Aho's points. I look for something in the high 50s. I don't believe he scores a ton more goals but tallies a few more assists. If the Aho/Staal/Lindholm line is a thing most of the season, I expect both Staal and Lindholm to be beneficiaries of those assists.

I was all in on the optimism thing last year (shocker, I know) and am even more so this year. My fear, like most on the board, is that Darling won't live up to expectations. I do, however, believe he'll be at least league average and that should get us 3 or 4 more wins. I also believe our line construction will provide many difficult match ups for a lot of teams and that will get us 2 or 3 more wins.

Finally, I think that the only team in the Metro, other than the Canes, that improved or stayed at the same level is Pittsburgh. Washington and the NYRs both lost key assets, but Washington had enough offense to sustain their scoring capabilities. As of right now, however, they only have 5 defenders under contract and there's not a lot of help down on their farm. The Rangers are probably going to be okay and that's who I think we'll battle if we're trying to get into the top 3 in the division. Personally, I see Columbus taking a step back. I think a lot rests on guys like Wennberg and Anderson taking the next step and even a guy like Sonny Milano edging his way into the line up....and I just don't see that as a sure thing. I think we're better than the remaining 3 teams in the division.

That's my two cents....I think we fight for 3rd place in the division, but have a solid shot at 4th place, likely scoring in the high 90s points-wise.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I think Columbus is going to be good for a long time. Great defense, and their forward group is so young and deep. They added Panarin in the offseason, which I think is huge, and then they've got guys like PLD and Milano coming up.

I'd take our defensive core (and prospect cupboard) over theirs, but honestly they are a lot like the Canes except they've shown the ability to succeed already. A great, young defensive group, and building a deep, young forward group without the perennial All-Star forward that traditional champions will have.

Not saying it's impossible that we'd finish ahead of them, but they are so similar to us except they've made the playoffs already. Also they have a real good goalie, whereas we might but we also might be close to worst in the league again.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think Columbus is going to be good for a long time. Great defense, and their forward group is so young and deep. They added Panarin in the offseason, which I think is huge, and then they've got guys like PLD and Milano coming up.

I'd take our defensive core (and prospect cupboard) over theirs, but honestly they are a lot like the Canes except they've shown the ability to succeed already. A great, young defensive group, and building a deep, young forward group without the perennial All-Star forward that traditional champions will have.

Not saying it's impossible that we'd finish ahead of them, but they are so similar to us except they've made the playoffs already. Also they have a real good goalie, whereas we might but we also might be close to worst in the league again.

AD, I guess we see things a little differently. I actually think Panarin, overall, is a downgrade from Saad. They've literally got 2 potential NHL forwards that MAY be NHL ready in their farm system, PLD and Milano. Bittner and Abramov have long term potential, but Bittner showed nothing at the AHL level and, while Abramov is a potential scoring machine, he's tiny and yet to play above the Q level.

I would not characterize their defense as great, nor would I say their defensive depth is a strength. While Savard, Jones, and Werenski (who I think is the real deal) are all pretty damn good, Jack Johnson has never lived up to his billing and is best described as unimpressively solid. Murray clearly took a step back last year and hasn't really lived up to his draft position's status either. After that, with the potential exception of Gabriel Carlsson, their defensive cupboard is bare.

Frankly, I think their success rides on Alexander Wennberg and his ability to become what he showed he might be last season. If he takes the next step, then the Blue Jackets are a tough out for anybody. If he doesn't then, I think they struggle.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah I definitely disagree. You forgot Bjorkstrand as far as NHL ready forwards go, and I think he could be a 15-goal scorer this year.

I agree that we have more in our system. But they're stacked at the NHL level, very deep in young forwards. Jenner, Panarin, Wennberg, Anderson. Then throw in PLD who's a year removed from being a top 3 pick. Milano will play this year, so will Bjorkstrand.

I do like our system better for the long haul. But this is a team that's got young talent and made it last year. Yes, we made some moves to get better, and yes, we are young. But we've got a lot of ground to make up on a team that should improve due to progression.

Now, I do think they were worse than the standings indicated last year. But they were good, and that shouldn't stop.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Now, I do think they were worse than the standings indicated last year. But they were good, and that shouldn't stop.

It will stop real quick if Bob comes back to earth...like he did the year before. They could easily slump this year or win the Metro...I have a hard time figuring them out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad