A Realistic Look at our season so far (long)

Will the gold pads take us to the promised land?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
For a just-past-midseason update, 43 games in, we are currently 9 points behind our pace through the first 43 chronological games last season, and 3 points behind when matching same opponent and venue.

We ended last season in fifth place. While we are currently in fifth place, that's a bit of fools' gold since we have more games played than several teams below us in points. On a PPG basis, we are currently in 11th place, but I think we are poised to challenge CAL for first in Pacific and end up around fifth place again this year with a home heavy schedule and a little luck.

Edit: Karlsson is currently down 5 goals and 3 assists against same opponents and venues last year. I don't even want to look at the comparison to first 43 games last year. Still, I'll take a 30-ish goal pace.

Last edited:

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I am impressed by the way the team has fought back in this thing, given that terrible start. The current team we're seeing on the ice is back to that mix where everyone does their jobs and the effort is there shift to shift and wearing opponents down. Have to think they will finish strong, barring any more significant loss of playing time by key guys.

This team is simply a joy to watch. Whatever happens, it's going to be fun.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I got seriously worried when Lawless started talking about McPhee having assets and making moves this season. Please don't. I don't trust him not to make bad moves.

There isn't anywhere we could really upgrade much anyway unless you're getting a superstar winger, center or defenseman. Maybe a better backup goalie but that shouldn't take a big asset to rent for a season.

If he finds a way of moving Miller for a better top 4 RD (unlikely with Miller's injury and season) but beyond that, I don't see much making this team better. Certainly not anything the team should be trading more of our assets to get.

Our forward group is more than set with Pacioretty back soon (and even more dangerous if Haula comes back for the playoffs) and our defense could use a better RD to pair with Theodore so trading Miller plus for someone better and moving Engelland down to partner with Holden or Hunt getting the fewest minutes would be the only move to make.

But really, we don't need to burn more assets for rentals this season and with Glass and Brannstrom (not to mention Whitecloud and Bischoff) possibly Gusev or Panarin and Pirri emerging for the team we have a full roster next season already. Then Elvenes and Hague (maybe Morozov) the season after, there isn't much this team needs apart from superstar caliber players to take the place of players already in our top six forwards and top four defense. But those guys are locked up at a decent price point.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
The team has played more games than other teams which helps the point total, but this team has also played a ton of back-to-backs (4 in December alone) and a lot of road games. All that travel, the back-to-backs, and the short rest after making the finals must have affected the team.

The second half of the schedule looks much easier.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Agree with Vegan- I'm hoping GMGM doesn't blow futures to shore up what seems to be working pretty well right now. Player for player trades, okay. Something has to happen with the Pirri/Patches conundrum. One of them will be relegated to 3rd line minutes, which will pretty much squander their impact.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Remember when we all breathed a sigh of relief when we crawled up to take 2d wildcard spot? We are now 11 points above 2d wildcard. Stay tuned, we have a challenging swing ahead, sjs home, then 2 tough roadies, then 3 tough homes.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Remember when we all breathed a sigh of relief when we crawled up to take 2d wildcard spot? We are now 11 points above 2d wildcard. Stay tuned, we have a challenging swing ahead, sjs home, then 2 tough roadies, then 3 tough homes.
Chicago are tough? Not saying we should under estimate them, but I wouldn't say they were a tough road game

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Chicago are tough? Not saying we should under estimate them, but I wouldn't say they were a tough road game

Chicago is tough. We had a hard win in their house last year and barely won 8-3 in November.

Seriously, don't overlook that game. They have nothing to lose.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Chicago is tough. We had a hard win in their house last year and barely won 8-3 in November.

Seriously, don't overlook that game. They have nothing to lose.

Who are we playing tomorrow? I think I have tickets through a friend and I don't even know the opponent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad