Salary Cap: a quick updated look at the cap for next year after the signings and recent trades

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Kelly is the perfect Bruins. Chiarelli and clode love the guy. Great defensively, horrible on offence and defends the awful system to the media. No way they move him.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I have a 12 man forward group/6 dmen/2 goalies here in this chart. the guys who are signed add up to 65.08 million dollars

riley smith 3.425/Patrice Bergeron 6.5/brad marchand 4.5
brent Connolly rfa/david krecji 7.25/louie Eriksson 4.25
david pastrnak .925/ryan spooner rfa/milan lucic 6
brian ferlin .925/chris Kelly 3/maxim Talbot .875

dougie Hamilton rfa/zdeno chara 6.917
dennis Seidenberg 4/joe morrow .863
kevan miller .85/torey krug 3.4

tukka rask 7.5
niklas Svedberg rfa

adding two bodies to sit in the press box would take the number to around 66.5 mill and if the cap is around 72 mill that leaves us around 5.5 mill to resign Hamilton/Connolly/spooner/Svedberg

I think it looks like at least one core member of the team will have to be moved and replaced with someone that is making around 2 mill per year less

of course if the cap is higher than 72 mill than we get a little wiggle room, but if we suffer overage penalities again than we loose that wiggle room.

I guess good news for those who wanted to see more youth/speed injected into the new lineup? Bad news for those who were still wanting to see some miracle pulled off that would lead to soderberg or even boychuk returning?

my personal take on this lineup is I think chiarelli is doing some good work up front to maintain a 4 line depth chart that looks pretty good on paper to me. goaltending should be taken care of for years to come. my one big concern is that defense is starting to look extremely paper thin vulnerable. have to pray that Hamilton/krug take huge strides of improvement very soon

EDIT I SEEM TO HAVE TUKKA RASK DOWN AT AN EXTRA 500K ??? SO THAT FREES UP 500K MORE WIGGLE ROOM

That defense is brutal,
and you can't pay almost 5M to your 4th line when you are in a cap hell, I can't understand how chia can't see that. I'd love us to get a new GM who's first question is what the ...... were you doing, trading great players over 4th liners.

Thanks to our 4th line we are going to be even worse next year, they'll probably trade eriksson to save cap so we can keep that 4th line.

With Chia we are going to be a very average team next year, with that lineup I can't see us making the playoffs. Florida is going to be a lot stronger next year, their top players are 19.

AGAIN I would try to trade Lucic++ for hall and save 1M in the future, and then they would probably trade eriksson for kassian to add lucic size and save 2.5M in cap, there's 3.5M savings, then you trade kelly for pick to ottawa, don't care how bad the pick is and let ferlin play, that's 2.1M savings and now we have saved 5.6M.
Then you try to trade Seidenberg and sign a new top4(4-5M) D and then you can add another forward with 4-4.5M

Last edited:

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Kelly is the perfect Bruins. Chiarelli and clode love the guy. Great defensively, horrible on offence and defends the awful system to the media. No way they move him.

Horrible system who made us a top 5 team for the goal scored in the past couple of years. To say that this system is preventing offense to occur is simply not accurate and definitely not supported by numbers or facts.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
The plan is simple. Suck enough to draft someone that can help right away like Pasta and upgrade the defense.

Zacha Krejci Pasta -> the czech connection
Marchand Bergeron Smith
Lucic Spooner Connolly
Paille Campbell Talbot ???

Chara Dougie
2nd pair
Krug Mcquaid

Rask
Someone

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
The plan is simple. Suck enough to draft someone that can help right away like Pasta and upgrade the defense.

Zacha Krejci Pasta -> the czech connection
Marchand Bergeron Smith
Lucic Spooner Connolly
Paille Campbell Talbot ???

Chara Dougie
2nd pair
Krug Mcquaid

Rask
Someone

Campbell and Paille are not coming back, and Kelly is still under contract. Talbot was brought in to be the new cheaper Campbell, and Paille's services are probably no longer needed. Also Eriksson is going to be starting on the team next year, barring some epic Eberle deal at the draft.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Campbell and Paille are not coming back, and Kelly is still under contract. Talbot was brought in to be the new cheaper Campbell, and Paille's services are probably no longer needed. Also Eriksson is going to be starting on the team next year, barring some epic Eberle deal at the draft.

I think Talbot was brought in to be a cheaper Soupy and we see Chia move Kelly in the off season, and I say that as an unapologetic Kelly backer

I wouldn`t be one bit shocked if we see Kelly, Loui and/or Seids elsewhere next year

My likeliest of candidates gone between that trio is Loui and Kelly

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Have to ask again that why didn't chia trade soda when he knew how much he's going to pay for krug+smith, that deal destroyed our chances of re-signing soda and ottawa is just 3 points behind us,

Vermette got 1st+prospect and anaheim would have payed to get him.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Have to ask again that why didn't chia trade soda when he knew how much he's going to pay for krug+smith, that deal destroyed our chances of re-signing soda and ottawa is just 3 points behind us,

the outrage from the fan base here if Chia had of traded Soderberg with an injured Krejci and an untested NHL playoff player in Spooner being asked to carry the load for a 1st round pick and a prospect would have been even greater than it already is here

I am guessing Chia has a plan for Soderberg and I`ll bet that plan is he`ll be on the opening day roster of 2015 for the Bruins

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
the outrage from the fan base here if Chia had of traded Soderberg with an injured Krejci and an untested NHL playoff player in Spooner being asked to carry the load for a 1st round pick and a prospect would have been even greater than it already is here

I am guessing Chia has a plan for Soderberg and I`ll bet that plan is he`ll be on the opening day roster of 2015 for the Bruins

Tend to agree regarding Soda. The more it goes, the more Lucic seems to be a goner. If not, it's someone else from the core who's going out. Smith, Krug extended, Soda will be extended... If you consider this + our need for a top 4 D-man, shedding Kelly's salary not going to be enough.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Tend to agree regarding Soda. The more it goes, the more Lucic seems to be a goner. If not, it's someone else from the core who's going out. Smith, Krug extended, Soda will be extended... If you consider this + our need for a top 4 D-man, shedding Kelly's salary not going to be enough.

Loui and Kelly or Kelly and Seids = 7 million I think Trapper??

Many say NTC`s/NMC`s are killers but I`ve never viewed them that way, they are restrictive in their nature but....

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

i would have been pretty happy to b honest.

to get soda on the opening day roster is going to be interesting, depending on who goes..... and for what

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Loui and Kelly or Kelly and Seids = 7 million I think Trapper??

Many say NTC`s/NMC`s are killers but I`ve never viewed them that way, they are restrictive in their nature but....

Pardon my extremism, but to me, it's: Loui, Kelly,Lucic and Seidenberg who would be gone. You trade Loui + Kelly for cap Space; Lucic for a young top 4 D-man (+ prospects/picks) and Seidenberg to open a roster + saving on cap space. So, it's 7+6+4 in cap space savings minus the D-man salary. Of course replacing Lucic will be a top priority so... if you pay 10 per for the D-man and the other forward to replace Lucic(5per average), Bruins will have roughly 7 per to replace Loui and extend Soda. It's more then enough but I'm not a cap expert so...

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Two things have really stood out to me when looking at what some people have penciled in as the lineup.

1. Lucic on the 3rd line-this can't happen, he makes way too much money, if he is on the 3rd line he needs to go and I am fine with him on the top line. If they aren't going to use him in the top 6 they need to trade him for someone who will be in their top 6 or better yet, a #2D.

2. Krug on the bottom pairing-he also makes too much money on his new deal to be on the bottom pairing but this time it is where he belongs and the Bruins can't afford to have him eating up that much cap space when they need at least one experience top 4 D and maybe two. I know about the power play and all that but I will take the old Bruins who couldn't score on the PP but were the best 5 on 5 team over this mess any day.

There are just too many holes in this team to pay that kind of money for what would be two of the highest paid depth players in the league along with Eriksson. Way too much money tied up in the bottom half of the roster and if Soderberg re-signs they will have even more money tied up in the bottom half.

I like all of those guys but with a salary cap that is just too much to pay the bottom half of the roster with too many holes to fill.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I thought I read lots of it might be wisest to trade soda now and retool in the offseason when this is clearly not our all in year.
Last season it would have been a different story.

I just wish Chia would realize that we have to get rid of kelly, campbell, paille and seids so we don't have to trade our younger/better players to make cap space, this team isn't good enough and keeping our old/expensive 4th line does nothing good for us.

And his deadline actions makes me even more nervous. Seemed like he was only after +30y players and in the end he wasn't really trying to acquire D help when it's clearly our biggest weakness.

I would try to trade Lucic++ for hall and save 1M in the future, and then they would probably trade eriksson for kassian to add lucic size and save 2.5M in cap, there's 3.5M savings, then you trade kelly for pick to ottawa, don't care how bad the pick is and let ferlin play, that's 2.1M savings and now we have saved 5.6M.
Then you try to trade Seidenberg and sign a new top4(4-5M) D and then you can add another forward with 4-4.5M

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal

If Soderberg stays, Spooner has to be traded no?

I completely agree, he would never be a seller being in the playoff hunt, not only would be much harder to make the playoffs but it would have been a PR nightmare. But personally, i dont like that plan.
We'll see how much he gets but right now, i dont see how you can keep him here.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Two things have really stood out to me when looking at what some people have penciled in as the lineup.

1. Lucic on the 3rd line-this can't happen, he makes way too much money, if he is on the 3rd line he needs to go and I am fine with him on the top line. If they aren't going to use him in the top 6 they need to trade him for someone who will be in their top 6 or better yet, a #2D.

2. Krug on the bottom pairing-he also makes too much money on his new deal to be on the bottom pairing but this time it is where he belongs and the Bruins can't afford to have him eating up that much cap space when they need at least one experience top 4 D and maybe two. I know about the power play and all that but I will take the old Bruins who couldn't score on the PP but were the best 5 on 5 team over this mess any day.

There are just too many holes in this team to pay that kind of money for what would be two of the highest paid depth players in the league along with Eriksson. Way too much money tied up in the bottom half of the roster and if Soderberg re-signs they will have even more money tied up in the bottom half.

I like all of those guys but with a salary cap that is just too much to pay the bottom half of the roster with too many holes to fill.

I can see the lines for next year like this:

Marchard/Bergeron/Smith
Lucic/Krejci/Pasta
Erikson/Soda/Connelly
cheap option/Talbot/Ferlin(other other AHL option, Griffith etc.)

And I'd be happy with that. It means that Kelly has to go and likely Spooner. If we can trade picks and prospects for a 4th dman I'm pretty happy rolling with that group next year assuming connelly is the real deal and Pasta becomes a star.

Krug, IMO, is the best 6th Dman in the league because of what he brings offensively and he's not horrible defensively, albeit not great. He's definitely not a top 4 dman though as I think you'd agree with. That, to me, is the biggest hole on this team and needs to be addressed in the off-season. They should have enough to make a very good deal for someone. I would expect that Chara and Hamilton are back, along with Seids, and Krug/Miller are your bottom pair.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site

I can see the lines for next year like this:

Marchard/Bergeron/Smith
Lucic/Krejci/Pasta
Erikson/Soda/Connelly
cheap option/Talbot/Ferlin(other other AHL option, Griffith etc.)

And I'd be happy with that. It means that Kelly has to go and likely Spooner. If we can trade picks and prospects for a 4th dman I'm pretty happy rolling with that group next year assuming connelly is the real deal and Pasta becomes a star.

Krug, IMO, is the best 6th Dman in the league because of what he brings offensively and he's not horrible defensively, albeit not great. He's definitely not a top 4 dman though as I think you'd agree with. That, to me, is the biggest hole on this team and needs to be addressed in the off-season. They should have enough to make a very good deal for someone. I would expect that Chara and Hamilton are back, along with Seids, and Krug/Miller are your bottom pair.

I think we pretty much agree. The thing with Krug is that I view him as a luxury if they don't have 4 top 4 D. He is someone who might be able to be moved to a team that is willing to give up a solid stay at home D who only puts up 18 points but is a fine #4 defender even if the deal would need to be tweaked it seems like something that could be done since Krug is such a good bottom pairing and PP guy. I think it is of the utmost importance that the Bruins improve their D for next season. Morrow may be one guy but they will still need another.

Even with that said, I am not against keeping Krug if they can find a way, I just don't think he is as important as any top 4 defender even with his great offensive stats and they really must have 4 top 4 D if they want to be one of the best teams.

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Riley Smith 3.425/Patrice Bergeron 6.5/Brad Marchand 4.5 (14.425M)
Brent Connolly rfa/David Krecji 7.25/Louie Eriksson 4.25 (11.5M)
David pastrnak .925/Ryan Spooner rfa/Milan Lucic 6 (6.925)
Brian Ferlin .925/Maxim Talbot .875/? (1.8M)

Dougie Hamilton/?
Johnny Boychuk/Joe Morrow .863
?/Torey Krug 3.4

Tukka Rask 7.0

Total on the books would be 45.913

With a 72M Salary Cap it would leave 26.087 to spend

Un-load Chara,Sieds and Kelly for picks or prospects

Brett Connolly 1.5M
Ryan Spooner 1.5M
4th line RW 1.5M
Dougie Hamilton 5M
1st line D 5M
Johnny Boychuk 5M
3rd Line D 2M
Miller .800

Better Back-up For Rask 3M
I believe he would be much more effective if he played in the 60 game range

For a total of 25.3M add to the 45.913 for a total of 71.213M

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Because Cam and the ownership want to make the playoffs. No chance that was Chia's call (not saying he didn't agree with it, he probably did... but that was a FRANCHISE call, not the decision of 1 person).

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Because Cam and the ownership want to make the playoffs. No chance that was Chia's call (not saying he didn't agree with it, he probably did... but that was a FRANCHISE call, not the decision of 1 person).

Must be another good asset management.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Claude and management love Kelly. And to be honest I appreciate what he brings to the table. Is it worth 3 mil per, no, but still a good contributor.

The good news is he has had a decent season, and with one year remaining I can see a few younger teams interested in adding his veteran presence. Whether he would go to a young rebuilding team is debatable. But unlike the summer of 2014, I think he is movable this off-season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I'd rather have 1 weaker season and retool than have 2-4 average years with limited playoff games.

Retooling will help them to get more money in the playoffs in the future.

And still if they lose soda for nothing it will be another huge mistake from our management.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
And most of that space will be going to re-sign Dougie.

Kelly and probably Seidenberg are going to have to go. Anyone else is either too valuable or not worth moving.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Lucic 6-Spooner 1.25- Pastrnak .8- 9.05
Eriksson 4.25-Krejci 7.25-Connolly 1.25- 12.75
Marchand 4.5-Bergeron 7-Smith 3.45- 14.95
Ferlin .8-Khokhchalev.8-Talbot .8 -2.4
Griffith .8

Hamilton 5-Boychuk 5
Morrow .8-Chara 7
Mquaid 2-Krug 3.2