Salary Cap: a quick updated look at the cap for next year after the signings and recent trades

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I have a 12 man forward group/6 dmen/2 goalies here in this chart. the guys who are signed add up to 65.08 million dollars

riley smith 3.425/Patrice Bergeron 6.5/brad marchand 4.5
brent Connolly rfa/david krecji 7.25/louie Eriksson 4.25
david pastrnak .925/ryan spooner rfa/milan lucic 6
brian ferlin .925/chris Kelly 3/maxim Talbot .875

dougie Hamilton rfa/zdeno chara 6.917
dennis Seidenberg 4/joe morrow .863
kevan miller .85/torey krug 3.4

tukka rask 7.5
niklas Svedberg rfa

adding two bodies to sit in the press box would take the number to around 66.5 mill and if the cap is around 72 mill that leaves us around 5.5 mill to resign Hamilton/Connolly/spooner/Svedberg

I think it looks like at least one core member of the team will have to be moved and replaced with someone that is making around 2 mill per year less

of course if the cap is higher than 72 mill than we get a little wiggle room, but if we suffer overage penalities again than we loose that wiggle room.

I guess good news for those who wanted to see more youth/speed injected into the new lineup? Bad news for those who were still wanting to see some miracle pulled off that would lead to soderberg or even boychuk returning?

my personal take on this lineup is I think chiarelli is doing some good work up front to maintain a 4 line depth chart that looks pretty good on paper to me. goaltending should be taken care of for years to come. my one big concern is that defense is starting to look extremely paper thin vulnerable. have to pray that Hamilton/krug take huge strides of improvement very soon

EDIT I SEEM TO HAVE TUKKA RASK DOWN AT AN EXTRA 500K ??? SO THAT FREES UP 500K MORE WIGGLE ROOM

Last edited:

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
hockeybuzz already has our situation updated with the two newest contracts. They have us at 61.6M, with 58.9 as salary cap payroll (I assume that means without bonus figures?)

Of course that doesn't include Savard, Miller or Morrow; but it does include the 10 signed forwards.

I've tried to attach a screenshot, but no idea if I did that right. :laugh:

here is the link though;
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=BOS

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
hockeybuzz already has our situation updated with the two newest contracts. They have us at 61.6M, with 58.9 as salary cap payroll (I assume that means without bonus figures?)

Of course that doesn't include Savard, Miller or Morrow; but it does include the 10 signed forwards.

I've tried to attach a screenshot, but no idea if I did that right. :laugh:

here is the link though;
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=BOS

looks like they aren't adding in the contracts for kevan miller/joe morrow but I think both have spots to lose and id be surpised if they weren't part of the opening night lineup.

for what its worth your screenshot worked great, thanks for sharing for those here who are missing capgeek. I personally pulled the numbers down from nhlnumbers. theres still a couple sites that make an effort to provide contract info for those of us geeky enough to care about such things

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Sorry, I don't want Miller as anything more than a 7th defenseman. He was good during last years run but he really hasn't proven much to me, I much prefer McQuaid, I doubt it takes more than 1.5 million or so to sign him.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Sorry, I don't want Miller as anything more than a 7th defenseman. He was good during last years run but he really hasn't proven much to me, I much prefer McQuaid, I doubt it takes more than 1.5 million or so to sign him.

Another team might be willing to through 2+ at him.

Bruins shouldn't but another team might. He's a good player, just with our cap constraints, not the best way to invest money.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I have no question that we can make it under the cap with the current roster. I just wonder where the improvement will come from. Pastrnak and Connolly should be impact players, but is that enough?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

for argument's sakes... we decide to pull a boychuk move and deal lucic and his 6 mill {im going to say Anaheim might be interested if they fall flat on their face again this playoff push as they went after kesler to get 'bigger/tougher' so its clearly something on their mind. Suppose we can grab Nick Ritchie back and maybe a second this year if they still have it... and then a conditional first rounder down the road if lucic resigns with them. value wise the deal would make most bruin fans shudder because they say we aren't getting back anything to help right now and lucic is a huge fan favorite but this type of move would do wonders for clearing up the cap jam we are in and lucic isn't a core player most nights due to his inconsistent play.

Ritchie is a prospect that I don't think would be ready for the nhl for a couple years so I would propose we then make the move to get kassian out of Vancouver or we spend some money on one of chris stewart/or matt belasky in ufa to stop gap the team's need for a big rugged forward while we wait for Ritchie to develop.

this type of adjustment up front would clear up enough cap room to bring back mcquaid as a bottom pair dman and might even clear enough space to allow us to go after a guy like dion phaneuf to upgrade over dennis Seidenberg

so the choice would break down to something like either
lucic/Seidenberg/some kid dman/assorted draft picks
stewart/phaneuf/mcquaid/Ritchie

I think something like this would be doable and I personally would vote to take the upgrade in 3 positions even if it cost us a sizable downgrade from lucic to a cheaper 'third line power forward option'

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Sweet, that defence looks amazing. Going to be an awesome year. How could it be bad with no proven first line right wing, a soft forward corps, a defence that has Joe morrow and Dennis seidenberg as your top 4 dmen and a bottom pairing of krug and miller? Plan the parade.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I have no question that we can make it under the cap with the current roster. I just wonder where the improvement will come from. Pastrnak and Connolly should be impact players, but is that enough?
Not even close. This team will actually be worse. Especially if clode is still coach.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014

Miller's shoulder problems tell me he should change his gym routines. You can train but your muscles need some elasticity. In Miller's case he might need to change something for him to be more durable.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Sweet, that defence looks amazing. Going to be an awesome year. How could it be bad with no proven first line right wing, a soft forward corps, a defence that has Joe morrow and Dennis seidenberg as your top 4 dmen and a bottom pairing of krug and miller? Plan the parade.

Exactly. I don't get where the excitement for next year's team is coming from as they line-up right now.

Let's bring back the majority of the same team that is fighting for the 8th seed while the teams that are nipping at our heels will undoubtedly be better next year (Florida) as their youth gets more and more experience, and expect different results!

I don't think that adding Connolly alone, and swapping Campbell for Kelly, Paille for Talbot, Caron for Ferlin, Soderberg for Spooner, McQuaid for Miller, and Bartkowski for Morrow, is going to propel this team from 8th to legitimate contender.

This is insanity.

Iceage

Jun 26, 2013
Exactly. I don't get where the excitement for next year's team is coming from as they line-up right now.

Let's bring back the majority of the same team that is fighting for the 8th seed while the teams that are nipping at our heels will undoubtedly be better next year (Florida) as their youth gets more and more experience, and expect different results!

I don't think that adding Connolly alone, and swapping Campbell for Kelly, Paille for Talbot, Caron for Ferlin, Soderberg for Spooner, McQuaid for Miller, and Bartkowski for Morrow, is going to propel this team from 8th to legitimate contender.

This is insanity.

Did the original post indicate that projected lineup woul be contenders? I must have missed it.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Did the original post indicate that projected lineup woul be contenders? I must have missed it.

I've seen such around the board since the deadline, not that it matters as I was emphasizing what the poster that I quoted said (I have a general distaste for the way that management is building the team going forward). The idea is to be a contender every year, as realistic as possible, right? That starts with maximizing personnel / assets and contracts with a cap in place.

My post was in no way a shot at Opie.

Last edited:

David Krejci*

Puke. People don't realize, the defense is the real problem here. This team is built on defense and goaltending. The forwards are good enough IF you have a real defense. But our defense is a joke. We lost to Montreal because our defense is god awful.

Even with Lucic, Krejci, Iginla, and Marchand being complete no shows, we still could've won that series if our defense (MILLER AND BARTKOWSKI) didn't commit some of the worst giveaways in the history of sports. If Chiarelli did his fing job and actually replaced Seidenberg when he went down with someone who was actually a competent option on the blue line, instead of once again clawing for spare parts at the bottom of the scrap heap.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
theres been a few cases recently on other teams where some young dman comes out of no where and becomes a factor... im not saying we will be able to find this type of surprise to upgrade our own team, but its not impossible.

we got the kid in university who has been impressing {sorry too lazy to look up his spelling}

we got joe morrow who has been heralded for awhile now as being something with the potential to be pretty decent.

of course we all love dougie Hamilton's combination of size/skill and the kids is wicked book smart so theoletically he will be able to learn the game and become something pretty special for us.

Seidenberg has looked gassed this year but hes really not that old and he is a physical workout stud. maybe this year was a lost cause for him but we can be hopeful he will bounce back

as for chara... the nhl has never seen anyone his size age before... no one knows the rules how fast he will or wont drop off the cliff. he looked damn good last year. this year he has been hurt.

our defense isn't automatically doomed to suck but I think theres definitely very fair question marks that can be raised. sadly our money is allotted here...

chara is being paid as a number 1
Hamilton will be getting paid as a number 2
Seidenberg as a number 3
and krug as a number 4

we will have around 20 million spent on our top 4... the money is spent and the choices are made

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm not sure, but I do believe their cap will be reduced by 850k to account for bonuses that Hamilton will likely hit this year. Because they used Savard's LTIR, that means they are over the cap this year and any bonuses come due on next year's cap. I don't think there are any other bonuses though.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
We have to sign a legitimate top 4 defensemen this summer. Preferably right handed.

Lucic-Krejci-Connolly
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Smith-Spooner/Soderberg-Downie
Talbot-Kelly-Ferlin

Chara-Hamilton
Morrow/Bartkowski-Top 4
Krug-Miller

Trade Eriksson and Seidenberg to open up salary, both easily replaceable players. I'd kill to have Boychuk back at 5 million. Highly doubt that happens, but I've seen stranger things. That roster looks pretty solid if you ask me.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
We have to sign a legitimate top 4 defensemen this summer. Preferably right handed.

Lucic-Krejci-Connolly
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Smith-Spooner/Soderberg-Downie
Talbot-Kelly-Ferlin

Chara-Hamilton
Morrow/Bartkowski-Top 4
Krug-Miller

Trade Eriksson and Seidenberg to open up salary, both easily replaceable players. I'd kill to have Boychuk back at 5 million. Highly doubt that happens, but I've seen stranger things. That roster looks pretty solid if you ask me.

The leading forward in ice time on the Bruins, who is 2nd on the team in scoring (behind only Bergy), is easily replaced? lol please do tell us where you're easily replacing that? Where is the magic RW beanstalk that produces that for us at a good cap hit?

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Saw Alberta started thread...somehow knew we'd find a "Kassian for Eriksson" reference in here.

How about move Kelly in the offseason...$3m savings...use that money to get a 2nd pairing dman. The Bruins have scored more goals-per-game than the Habs this season. The Bruins are regularly in the top 5 to 10 offensive teams in the NHL (even though their almost always in the bottom 5 in PP opportunities). The problem is keeping the puck out of the net. The blue line is the issue.

With Talbot locks up cheap for next season, Kelly is a luxury this team can no longer afford. He is the asset that needs to move to open up cap space. Talbot makes him expendable.

Lucic Krejci Pastrnak
Marchand Bergeron Connollly
Smith Spooner Eriksson
(-----) Talbot Ferlin

Chara Hamilton
Seidenberg (Kelly's $3m)
Krug Miller

*Morrow

Last edited:

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I'm guessing – pending playoff performances – that it's quite possible Soderberg gets traded with maybe some picks/prospects for a #4 Dman.

If Spooner keeps playing well, that opens the door for a youth movement up front led by Pasta, Spoons, Connolly and Ferlin. Smith is still pretty young too, and can improve.

Lucic - Krejci - Connolly/Pasta
Marchand - Bergy - Smith
Eriksson - Spooner - Pasta/Connolly
Talbot - Kelly - Ferlin

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Hell no! I don't see how Ritchie helps this team improve. He's not even as NHL ready as Connolly who just broke his hand for 6 weeks. Great move Chia!!

If we move Lucic it better be for NHL-ready help. A Taylor Hall swap was rumored a few months back. Even if we have to add, I'd rather make a move for an impact player like that who can help right away.

Of course the other pink elephant in the room is that Seidenberg looks washed up, Chara looks slower, and we still have no idea if Hamilton is ready to be our #1 Dman but he needs to progress big time. Also we are still a top 4 defenseman short of competing consistently. That needs to be addressed in the offseason.

so the choice would break down to something like either
lucic/Seidenberg/some kid dman/assorted draft picks
stewart/phaneuf/mcquaid/Ritchie

I think something like this would be doable and I personally would vote to take the upgrade in 3 positions even if it cost us a sizable downgrade from lucic to a cheaper 'third line power forward option'

If we could move Kelly to another team and not have to eat his contract, I'd drive him to the airport myself!! Unfortunately Chia has shown himself incapable of making this very basic and obvious move. Which perhaps means that there are either A) no takers or B) Chia is refusing to move Kelly because of blackmail pictures (the Jordan Caron effect) or because Clode has expressed a desire to keep him (the love to keep overpaid over-the-hill veterans effect).

Saw Alberta started thread...somehow knew we'd find a "Kassian for Eriksson" reference in here.

How about move Kelly in the offseason...$3m savings...use that money to get a 2nd pairing dman. The Bruins have scored more goals-per-game than the Habs this season. The Bruins are regularly in the top 5 to 10 offensive teams in the NHL (even though their almost always in the bottom 5 in PP opportunities). The problem is keeping the puck out of the net. The blue line is the issue.

With Talbot locks up cheap for next season, Kelly is a luxury this team can no longer afford. He is the asset that needs to move to open up cap space. Talbot makes him expendable.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
We need a #3 defenseman... bad. Hopefully by next year Seids and Chara are both completely 100%, I highly doubt either of them especially Chara are right now, but still... Even with a massive step from Hamilton that's still pretty brutal. Morrow deserves a full-time job and hopefully he gets it. He didn't look completely out of place in our top 4.

Part of me really wishes we traded Soderberg. I have a feeling he's going to walk for nothing. This was a seller's market and we should have taken advantage. Will be interesting to see if they get a definite 1st line RW or go with Pasta... Not sure I want to throw him into the fire that fast. But we have a pretty deep and very young winger core next year.

LucicBergeronNeely

Apr 13, 2010
17 - 46 - 88
63 - 37 - 18
21 - 34 - 14
25 - 23 - 68

33 - 27
44 - 47
86 - 45

?

Total would be $60,580,000. This would leave us about $11.5m to sign 14 ($1.5), 27($5), 34 ($4) and a backup goalie ($1). I would rather try for a roster like this then risk losing 34 or having to trade 21.

I would love to see 51 on the team so I would be trying to move 23 to accommodate that. I also wouldn't mind seeing a new D on our back end and would consider moving 33 or 44.

In the end, we aren't in that bad of a situation thanks to the nice deals on 88 and 14!

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
I have a 12 man forward group/6 dmen/2 goalies here in this chart. the guys who are signed add up to 65.08 million dollars

riley smith 3.425/Patrice Bergeron 6.5/brad marchand 4.5
brent Connolly rfa/david krecji 7.25/louie Eriksson 4.25
david pastrnak .925/ryan spooner rfa/milan lucic 6
brian ferlin .925/chris Kelly 3/maxim Talbot .875

dougie Hamilton rfa/zdeno chara 6.917
dennis Seidenberg 4/joe morrow .863
kevan miller .85/torey krug 3.4

tukka rask 7.5
niklas Svedberg rfa

adding two bodies to sit in the press box would take the number to around 66.5 mill and if the cap is around 72 mill that leaves us around 5.5 mill to resign Hamilton/Connolly/spooner/Svedberg

I think it looks like at least one core member of the team will have to be moved and replaced with someone that is making around 2 mill per year less

of course if the cap is higher than 72 mill than we get a little wiggle room, but if we suffer overage penalities again than we loose that wiggle room.

I guess good news for those who wanted to see more youth/speed injected into the new lineup? Bad news for those who were still wanting to see some miracle pulled off that would lead to soderberg or even boychuk returning?

my personal take on this lineup is I think chiarelli is doing some good work up front to maintain a 4 line depth chart that looks pretty good on paper to me. goaltending should be taken care of for years to come. my one big concern is that defense is starting to look extremely paper thin vulnerable. have to pray that Hamilton/krug take huge strides of improvement very soon

EDIT I SEEM TO HAVE TUKKA RASK DOWN AT AN EXTRA 500K ??? SO THAT FREES UP 500K MORE WIGGLE ROOM

Bruins will definitely have to take some hard decisions. They absolutely need to upgrade the top 4 at D. I wouldn't bet my house on seeing Lucic/Louie on our roster next year. You shed these two salaries and gain 10.2 M. Of course, in the case of Lucic, we would have to calculate the players coming back but still... the Bruins can get, at least, 5 per of extra cap space. I wouldn't mind to see Seidenberg traded elsewhere. I love the guy and he's been very serviceable for the Bruins but reality is: we have to many 4-6 per contract on this team. Kelly is also a guy that I would move. With Soda and Talbot, we don't need him; he's redundant. In the end, the Bruins to add a top 4 D-man and work very hard to improve depth at the blueline by adding prospects and drafting well in the next upcoming draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad