Post-Game Talk: A Quick thread

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
If I had to guess, it would be that it seems like Ekholm and Bouchard get all of the McDavid minutes. Plus, prior to last year, Nurse at least got some looks on the PP. Now all of his scoring is at even strength.
Kane has a similar problem offensively. Used to almost alternate PP time with Hyman, but since getting his wrist cut and the Oilers going historical with Hyman he only gets the occasional sniff in the final 40 seconds.

Granted, Kane is good on the PP whereas Nurse is very average there.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It's a chicken or egg argument...Skinner started looking a lot better when the team was not playing mickey mouse D in front of him, the two go hand in hand. Skinner has struggled at times but other goaaies have too and it has not led to a team to weaken on effort..That is a poor example of leadership imo, which is counter to your point.

Can you even read..not once did I say they were the issue..only that they themselves can still improve...people like you who put words in peoples mouth belong on ignore. They are leaders..so they get all the glory and are beyond criticism? That is a sheeps mentality.
Agree about your point. Goaltending is critically interdependent on the team's structure and commitment in front of them. The Oilers have struggled forever to carve out a consistent, high level and repeatable systemic quality of team defending. It was Tippett's first principle on the job that they needed to work on goal suppression and it continued to be elusive.

Incredibly Woodcroft and this team's leadership group all identified team defending and goal suppression as its overriding priority after the Vegas series. All spoke from the same song sheet, big taddoo about all players reporting two weeks early, and then this team starts the season with a prolonged fire drill that put this much hyped season on life support less than a month into it.

This team needs better, more consistent goaltending but it will also only be as good as the team defending in front of it. There's been a lot of promise shown under the new, new, new coach and his d-coach but the execution on-ice is where success or failure will unfold. The truly elite Cup teams figure out the team defending thing as a critical component of the winning mix during the marathon second season.

Reactions: guymez

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Mcdavid and drai themselves need to mature more imo..They are often guilty of not covering the middle and lapse on defense. Not winning a cup until that changes. They were some of the worst offenders in the early season fall. They are the leaders , so surely some of it is on them, when the team at times looks like one of the worse in the NHL.
No argument there. Just not sure they get it though Or will at the time of the next contract discussions.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Connor and Leon are ready to win a Cup now.

It's the management that is light years behind them because they suck.

Every regular season is basically the same thing for us for the last few years ... wild ups and wild downs because the defense isn't very good, the forward depth is often lacking (how long are they going to look for a 2nd line RW?), and most especially they can't find a starting goalie who isn't 40 years old.

But we have red hot upswings too especially when Connor is cooking at 2 PPG+ for stretches.

That's why the team is up and down "like a toilet seat" (to quote Holland himself). That's not on Connor and Leon, any two "leaders" in the NHL would be subject to the same wild swings with poor defense and poor goaltending behind them.

Instead of a "normal" regular season, we get this up and down ride every year.
Conner looks like he’s ready. Drai is fighting it though. And no, even Conner being ready is fairly recent. Aand yes they would be ready if somebody else was doing the hard minutes. Is that what you mean?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Conner looks like he’s ready. Drai is fighting it though. And no, even Conner being ready is fairly recent. Aand yes they would be ready if somebody else was doing the hard minutes. Is that what you mean?

They've been ready in the playoffs since 2022, the management team they have is not ready, they are the ones dragging this down.

Can't find a goalie, can't draft, having lots of problems with effective defensive and forward depth.

We lost last year to Vegas pretty much 100% because the GM set off a chain reaction by signing Campbell and sewered our goaltending for the playoffs which caught up to us.

That decision by our GM and his scouts pretty much cost us a Cup Final most likely. Maybe a Cup. With a decent goalie in net could we have beat Florida in the Finals? I think quite possibly.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
nOt ReaDY fER a CUp ... neEd tO Do MoAR

leon.jpg

Connor-McDavid.jpg

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I just realized, the hell is going on with Nurse? On pace for his worst season points wise in a long time.

View attachment 789911
He's been playing heavy minutes with some of the struggling forwards. His most common forwards he's played with are Kane, Drai, Hyman, Foegele, RNH, McLeod, Brown and then McDavid.

Seems like Kane and Drai are really struggling playing top competition. When they get out there with Nurse, they've been getting murdered.

1703452864989.png

22% GF/29% xGF with them and 66% GF/56% xGF without them is pretty wild.

Reactions: Coffey

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
If people are gonna harp on coaches for line decisions, we should be able to praise them for doing things right.

What's right about it? Woody put Mcleod and McLovin in the top 6 several times and ppl cried.

Woody demoted Kane for Foegle too.

One thing that has always been comical to me is ppl commenting on lines. It's nothing morr than a discussion of hypocrisy

Give it a 5 game losing skid and the same ppl will be blasting the same decisions

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think it’s because he usually plays with the middle six whose 5v5 scoring is way down?
Much like how the Oilers aren't scoring as much and the shooting percentage is down, so he's not getting extra assists, as you said, but he'll adjust to the mean, imo, as the team does.

Points down or no, Nurse is playing better this season than last

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It's a chicken or egg argument...Skinner started looking a lot better when the team was not playing mickey mouse D in front of him, the two go hand in hand. Skinner has struggled at times but other goaaies have too and it has not led to a team to weaken on effort..That is a poor example of leadership imo, which is counter to your point.

Can you even read..not once did I say they were the issue..only that they themselves can still improve...people like you who put words in peoples mouth belong on ignore. They are leaders..so they get all the glory and are beyond criticism? That is a sheeps mentality.
I agree with you in that the consistent, responsible play and work ethic starts at the top and our best players/leaders are often the most guilty when defensive break downs occur. When they put the detail into their games defensively and limit their bad turnovers we tend to win more games and our goalies seem to stop more pucks. This team will be at its peak when 97 and 29 commit fully and consistently to a more balanced game because scoring a 150pts a year doesn’t have the same effect on team success when you’re giving up as much 5v5 as they do at times.

Reactions: guymez

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Agree about your point. Goaltending is critically interdependent on the team's structure and commitment in front of them. The Oilers have struggled forever to carve out a consistent, high level and repeatable systemic quality of team defending. It was Tippett's first principle on the job that they needed to work on goal suppression and it continued to be elusive.

Incredibly Woodcroft and this team's leadership group all identified team defending and goal suppression as its overriding priority after the Vegas series. All spoke from the same song sheet, big taddoo about all players reporting two weeks early, and then this team starts the season with a prolonged fire drill that put this much hyped season on life support less than a month into it.

This team needs better, more consistent goaltending but it will also only be as good as the team defending in front of it. There's been a lot of promise shown under the new, new, new coach and his d-coach but the execution on-ice is where success or failure will unfold. The truly elite Cup teams figure out the team defending thing as a critical component of the winning mix during the marathon second season.
perfectly summed up. They need a more reliable goalie option but they can improve their goaltending by limiting high danger chances and in my opinion more importantly they need to reduce the severity of the breakdowns leading to some of the highest quality chances possible. When we have break downs it tends to lead to the type of chances that most goalies are going to struggle to stop.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What's right about it? Woody put Mcleod and McLovin in the top 6 several times and ppl cried.

Woody demoted Kane for Foegle too.

One thing that has always been comical to me is ppl commenting on lines. It's nothing morr than a discussion of hypocrisy

Give it a 5 game losing skid and the same ppl will be blasting the same decisions
I think you missed the point

Seems like you’re looking for something that isn’t there.

Woodys goto at the end of his tenure was McDavid and draisaitl together.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He's been playing heavy minutes with some of the struggling forwards. His most common forwards he's played with are Kane, Drai, Hyman, Foegele, RNH, McLeod, Brown and then McDavid.

Seems like Kane and Drai are really struggling playing top competition. When they get out there with Nurse, they've been getting murdered.

View attachment 789971

22% GF/29% xGF with them and 66% GF/56% xGF without them is pretty wild.
Drai lines have been getting constant diet of a lot more ownzone faceoffs and they've had Brown so should be considered shorthanded..

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
The other funny thing about this is no one will admit it now but the 2005-06 Oilers had plenty of questioning of their leadership, Pronger especially had a bit of a rough start that year and then they had gone to the Olympics and Canada lost and there was a group of people blaming him as one of the major reasons why.

I remember being told "this Pronger guy doesn't have it, career choker, won nothing in St. Louis, sucked for Canada in the Olympics, won't do anything with the Oilers".

lol. Well 4 months later ... funny how a Dwayne Roloson added changes the equation quite a bit.
And Markannen(?) took them to game 7 of the finals.
Yes Rolly was a major factor but the way the team played D was the biggest change.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Drai lines have been getting constant diet of a lot more ownzone faceoffs and they've had Brown so should be considered shorthanded..
Yeah. I'm not a big fan of the usage.

Kane-Drai-Brown have a 34% offensive zone faceoff % and 23.3% xGF [:oops:] when they're with Nurse. When away from Nurse, it's a 65% offensive zone faceoff % and a 72% xGF.

Seems like they might want to try another line in those situations.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I think you missed the point

Seems like you’re looking for something that isn’t there.

Woodys goto at the end of his tenure was McDavid and draisaitl together.
Woody tried a zillion combos, and this place was filled with whining no matter what.

RNH-Drai-Yamo was a phenomenal line. Then when reunited they weren't. Losing tends to do that

And no, Woody wasn't ONLY reliant on a Mcd-Drai line. Many a games those 2 started apart and the team was playing like absolute garbage regardless

Like I said, this board cries about lines when they are losing and praises those exact same decisions when they win

Just a matter of time before pages upon pages are typed on here calling Knobby a moron who only plays vets and makes stupid line decisions.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I don’t know why any Oiler core player would say cup or bust when this iteration of the team has yet to win a single conference final game.
I personally interpret the "cup or bust" mantra as meaning...

Drai and McD are gone unless this teams goes to the Cup finals.

I think that's the true feeling there... if this team can't get to that next big step... the BIG 2 are gone.

"Cup or bust" doesn't necessarily mean that this team as contructed IS ready and able to get to the Cup Final.

• Haha

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I personally interpret the "cup or bust" mantra as meaning...

Drai and McD are gone unless this teams goes to the Cup finals.

I think that's the true feeling there... if this team can't get to that next big step... the BIG 2 are gone.

"Cup or bust" doesn't necessarily mean that this team as contructed IS ready and able to get to the Cup Final.

It wasn’t some veiled threat by them, this is Leafs type of nonsense. Nice lump of coal though

If they expect to make the Finals within the next couple seasons, sure. But they were referring to they feel they could win the Cup this season, which was a stupid comment and it just painted a target on their backs

Reactions: TB12 and guymez

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It wasn’t some veiled threat by them, this is Leafs type of nonsense. Nice lump of coal though

If they expect to make the Finals within the next couple seasons, sure. But they were referring to they feel they could win the Cup this season, which was a stupid comment and it just painted a target on their backs
Well I don't view it as a "threat"... just the fact that they likely feel if they can't get traction here and can't push the team to a Cup Final while being probably the best performing playoff duo since Gretzky/Kurri era days.,. then they may never sniff "true" success in Edmonton and that would be a huge factor in deciding whether to re-sign in Edmonton as their prime years are now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad