Speculation: A Pretty Long List of 'Own Rentals' (those that have walked to UFA). Trending...

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Can't see Kyle firing his boy. He gave him the job without any other interview. They are tied together at the hip. Sheldon goes down, and Kyle does too.

Kyle's too stubborn and fixated in his ways to consider another coach.
Ya I thought about that after I typed it……but let it fly anyways. Lol
Normally that’s the order of operations but nothing with the Leafs have been normal since Shanny seemingly abandoned a steady methodical rebuild for this aberration of a high speed rebuild mess

Reactions: geo25

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
Dubas needs to show he’s willing to trade a guy on the last year of his deal to establish his credibility.

Right now every player knows they can just ride out their contract racking up numbers on a good team, hit UFA and get a sweet deal. There’s no risk of getting traded with a year left which means there’s also no incentive to re-sign earlier.

Dubas has no idea how to create leverage or more importantly the illusion of leverage.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Dubas needs to show he’s willing to trade a guy on the last year of his deal to establish his credibility.

Right now every player knows they can just ride out their contract racking up numbers on a good team, hit UFA and get a sweet deal. There’s no risk of getting traded with a year left which means there’s also no incentive to re-sign earlier.

Dubas has no idea how to create leverage or more importantly the illusion of leverage.
I cant argue with this. Agents voted him as the best gm to deal with. He had all the leverage witb Marner but totally caved. He's more about his own theories based on no nhl success than looking at all possible options

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Can't see Kyle firing his boy. He gave him the job without any other interview. They are tied together at the hip. Sheldon goes down, and Kyle does too.

Kyle's too stubborn and fixated in his ways to consider another coach.

Unless he turns out to be a slime ball and throws his buddy under the bus to save his own ass.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
The Leafs have signed John Tavares and TJ Brodie in FA, and they'd be the two best players on the OP list if they were walking from TOR.

I agree with many other posters in saying that it's not the players walking that's the issue since TOR is a playoff team every year. It's the lack of playoff success and the fact that additions have been made that haven't resulted in success, leaving us short assets from both trades that didn't happen and the cost of additions. And even with this being true, the prospect pool is still in a great state.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The reason Dubas' will fail is because he can't admit he is wrong and has no foresight. That p.p was horrible and we did zip. It's a major weskness.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
If I was in charge, I would have put Marner on the market the minute the season ended, but giving him away for nothing would be completely absurd. If you think we wouldn't get a ton back for him in a trade, you're just wrong. Sorry but this notion of addition by subtraction is nonsense.
Presuming the Leafs still want to win now and therefore only want an NHL roster player(s) in return (so no futures, no retained salary, no taking on expiring contracts), how many teams would a) be willing and able to fit Marner's cap hit until 2025, and b) offer something the Leafs would accept? That's gotta be a VERY small list of teams. Might be zero.

Reactions: egd27

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
The reason Dubas' will fail is because he can't admit he is wrong and has no foresight. That p.p was horrible and we did zip. It's a major weskness.
with the offense they have, why should they have brought anyone in for the PP? also, why is it the GM's fault if the PP isnt as good as it should be? they have enough good players for the PP.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Presuming the Leafs still want to win now and therefore only want an NHL roster player(s) in return (so no futures, no retained salary, no taking on expiring contracts), how many teams would a) be willing and able to fit Marner's cap hit until 2025, and b) offer something the Leafs would accept? That's gotta be a VERY small list of teams. Might be zero.

Of course we can take futures as part of the return, the asset type we get doesn't matter that much as they can always be trade later for whatever we decide our current needs are.

Marner would be very attractive to to team that values real dollars over cap space. There are a number of such teams, not sure how many but definitely more than zero.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
this is the dumbest thread
teams at the top of the standings don't trade away players at the deadline ...... period. it doesnt happen.

stop playing hindsight 20/20 and armchair GM on your playstation

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
teams at the top of the standings don't trade away players at the deadline ...... period. it doesnt happen.

Why so angry?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Yeah, let's pretend like the Blackhawks and Penguins didn't constantly trade their expiring contracts that they couldn't re-sign.

And those teams actually had real success.

The Leafs, on the other hand, are hoarding all their players and getting discarded in the opening round.

Reeks of desperation.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I believe what you stated was that getting rid of Marner would be addition by subtraction which implies that he has negative trade value. Now you want Eichel for him, sounds like you think Eichel has negative trade value as well.

For the record, I completely disagree. Marner and Eichel are both very valuable commodities, both would fetch a huge return in a trade and the concept of addition by subtraction applies to neither of these players.

As I've said elsewhere, it's not Marner for Eichel, it's Marner for a disgruntled Eichel, with a serious injury requiring surgery the day another team picks him up meaning he'll likely miss this season bringing him right to his NMC before you get a chance to evaluate. Personally, I think Marner has more value right now because of these intangibles. In other words, this could be a great opportunity to leverage Buffalo's awkward position to move Marner, send a message to the lineup and grab a likely superior player that has something desperately missing in this lineup: giveashitness.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
As I've said elsewhere, it's not Marner for Eichel, it's Marner for a disgruntled Eichel, with a serious injury requiring surgery the day another team picks him up meaning he'll likely miss this season bringing him right to his NMC before you get a chance to evaluate. Personally, I think Marner has more value right now because of these intangibles. In other words, this could be a great opportunity to leverage Buffalo's awkward position to move Marner, send a message to the lineup and grab a likely superior player that has something desperately missing in this lineup: giveashitness.
We're not moving Marner for a worse player, that's a worse fit, that comes with a significant injury risk, and the idea that Eichel somehow cares more is hilarious.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Not sure why you're quoting me - I was discussing the concept of addition by subtraction with someone else and I don't believe that concept applies to either Marner or Eichel.

As for what you're saying, I've said before that Marner for Eichel is something I'd be very interested in but that would depend on Eichel's health situation. If we're relatively certain that he'll eventually be back to 100% then that's one thing, if it's not clear that he'll ever fully recover then there's no way I'd entertain the idea of giving up Marner for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Not sure why you're quoting me - I was discussing the concept of addition by subtraction with someone else and I don't believe that concept applies to either Marner or Eichel.

As for what you're saying, I've said before that Marner for Eichel is something I'd be very interested in but that would depend on Eichel's health situation. If we're relatively certain that he'll eventually be back to 100% then that's one thing, if it's not clear that he'll ever fully recover then there's no way I'd entertain the idea of giving up Marner for him.

I used you as a convenient segway to keep my Marner for Eichel agenda alive :}

Reactions: Gary Nylund

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

To be fair, I've seen a lot of posters say these things at the time, and not just with hindsight.

The beauty of this place though, is that those posters are called stupid and not real fans.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I used you as a convenient segway to keep my Marner for Eichel agenda alive :}

I have so much to learn ...

To be fair, I've seen a lot of posters say these things at the time, and not just with hindsight.

The beauty of this place though, is that those posters are called stupid and not real fans.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The rule for many people seems to be that if someone has an opinion different from yours, then you get angry, insult them and question their right to share their opinions.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Unless he turns out to be a slime ball and throws his buddy under the bus to save his own ass.

Not a slime ball move at all to change a coach after two years. Keefe certainly hasn't earned any security and it is easier to change one coach than 20 players. That is always the last bullet in a GM's chamber and Babcock was arguably Shanny's kill.

Dubas' vision of a Leaf's powerhouse led by four high scoring forwards has been the road map since he started. He had to overpay for them and his lineup building had to evolve but he was still inching ahead, even in spite of the flat cap. This will be his hill to die on and Keefe would just be a bit of egg on his face as KD is often apologetic but never actually admits to doing things wrong. “The lesson I take from that is better aiding players in their adjustment to the organization” was the Barrie explanation right? If you don't really admit to a mistake then you never make the mistake right? His core is his core and the coach will go before any of them. However I can't picture this lineup having a bad enough regular season and another weak playoff will likely be clearing all the decks before they can sacrifice the coach.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Not a slime ball move at all to change a coach after two years.

He already changed his coach after a season and a quarter to bring in his idea of a solution. Never should have hired Keefe in the first place.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
If the reports are true that the Kraken are very interested in snapping up Rielly up around the 9.25 million dollar mark trade this guy at the TDL for players to plug into our team and a first.

We have been pushing our chips into the pot year after year with little success. It’s time to walk away from a potentially disastrous AAV and restock the cupboards and potentially add depth throughout the lineup. Some may looking at that as diminishing our chances but I think it’s smart to ensure we stay competitive. That first could be used to either draft for the future or sign a player from team X who wants to move on.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
with the offense they have, why should they have brought anyone in for the PP? also, why is it the GM's fault if the PP isnt as good as it should be? they have enough good players for the PP.
There was no adaptation or attempt to change.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Dubas will be gone before Rielly can walk so this will be the next GM's issue to deal with .
Won't happen sire. They are filming the new series also featuring our beloved leafs. Dubas's job secured for this one also. It was always sure and clear to me and many others, this job and deal was something different and special. He would not have gotten fired no matter what happened during our seasons. Just like it did also. Special thangs. Still: No fired. Won't happen now cause of the tv-series neither. Wait, learn and see sire. I know bout life sire.

Reactions: shortfuze

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad