Speculation: A Possible Larkin Trade Template.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
How many years do you want this rebuild to go on. At some point the trading for picks has to stop and work on getting the team together. If we traded Larkin what do you think that would do to moral. I love getting draft picks as much as anyone but I really think we have some players now that will vastly improve things

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Seeing the Mantha Deal was very interesting to me. And in regards to the possible lengthening of our rebuild window. It has made me ponder a Trade that off hand would be very good for us. While at the same time I absolutely do NOT want to trade Larkin.

But just for sake of fun conversation...

Lets say MTL comes to us with a really big offer (in the offseason), Similar to the Mantha deal:

To MTL
Larkin

To Det
Nick Suzuki (Similar production C, Younger)
3rd liner Lehkonen (A tiny cap dump type player is what I'm going for here who could actually play on our 3rd line)
1st Round pick 2022
2nd Round pick 2022

In a similar vain to the Mantha Trade. This would be viewed as a huge overpay by MTL.
On the Flip Side, Larkin is definitely a Better player now, and may infact always be a better player than Suzuki.

This is not so much a thread about Suzuki (He was the only C I could find younger than Larkin, with "similar" upside and production this year).

Its about the premise of downgrading Larkin to another young C, but adding a heck of a lot of draft capital.

If this deal(Or similar deal) was presented to US (HFBoards Armchair GM's)
Do we do it?

Value is fine.

However, I agree. You can't keep running the treadmill on a rebuild or you're Buffalo and you're rebuilding forever. I don't do it because Larkin is here, signed to a very reasonable amount for several more years, and we have a good amount of pieces on their way who should make an impact. If I'm moving Larkin, it's in a bigger package where we upgrade him to a better C, not downgrade him.

Reactions: BinCookin

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
This is insane lol. The only way we trade Larkin is straight up for Eichel or Drai McDavid? Ummm you do realize Larkin is a few tiers way down from these type of guys right?

The only way I trade Larkin is if it's somehow a big package for an actual 1C as opposed to the "can survive at 1C, but is really a 2C" like Ryan Kesler was and Larkin is. Larkin+ for Eichel is something I'd look at. The plus would obviously be pretty big, but there is no gain from trading Larkin for a guy in the same tier as him.

Reactions: njx9

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
The only way I trade Larkin is if it's somehow a big package for an actual 1C as opposed to the "can survive at 1C, but is really a 2C" like Ryan Kesler was and Larkin is. Larkin+ for Eichel is something I'd look at. The plus would obviously be pretty big, but there is no gain from trading Larkin for a guy in the same tier as him.
I agreed. Contrary to what most believe I would not just give him away. But if I can get someone better like Eichel I wouldn't hesitate. This team is really bad. No roster player is untouchable

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Trading all the "older" players like 25 year old Larkin is a great way to end up like the Oilers with a bunch of young guys and no vets to show leadership in the room. They'll get lit up.

I like the idea of having Larkin around (who learned from Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kronwall, and plenty of other guys who have had long, successful careers) to help guys like Raymond, Zadina, Seider, this years pick etc break into the league

This has nothing to do with trading Larkin, but I honestly see Nick Foligno being an Yzerman target this offseason.

Not sure he'd be too excited to come here considering he's never legitimately had a run for a Cup, but it's an addition that makes a lot of sense for Detroit, who will have a ton of kids in the line-up.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I believe Steve Yzerman said that if he named a captain, they were going to be here for a long time. Unless some team knocks his socks off with an overpay I don't think he will or should be traded. We can't just trade all our good players away, as even if Seider and Raymond become star players, they will be young and inexperienced and just learning the league, which means it is better to have at least a few good players around. No matter how good rookies are, they are still going to be rookies and will make plenty of mistakes, and need time to learn how to play in this league.

Reactions: kliq

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Am I the only one that thinks being a captain is overvalued? I don't think Larkin will be traded but being named captain would not even make an appearance on my list of reasons not to trade him.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Am I the only one that thinks being a captain is overvalued? I don't think Larkin will be traded but being named captain would not even make an appearance on my list of reasons not to trade him.

You might think its overvalued but I really doubt Yzerman does. Dont expect to see a Red Wing captain moved for a very long time. I think its part of the reason why Yzerman waited a year to name one, he didnt want to give it to someone he thought he might trade. Pretty sure Larkins work ethic is through the roof and thats exactly what you want to see in a rebuilding team with kids coming through. Youre getting 110% from him every single shift and every single game

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

To me, this depends on who that player is. In this case, I think he stays a while if not his whole career. If it is a more traveled player or 3rd liner type than I agree.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Seeing the Mantha Deal was very interesting to me. And in regards to the possible lengthening of our rebuild window. It has made me ponder a Trade that off hand would be very good for us. While at the same time I absolutely do NOT want to trade Larkin.

Lets say MTL comes to us with a really big offer (in the offseason), Similar to the Mantha deal:

To MTL
Larkin

To Det
3rd liner Lehkonen (A tiny cap dump type player is what I'm going for here who could actually play on our 3rd line)
1st Round pick 2022
2nd Round pick 2022

In a similar vain to the Mantha Trade. This would be viewed as a huge overpay by MTL.
On the Flip Side, Larkin is definitely a Better player now, and may infact always be a better player than Suzuki.

This is not so much a thread about Suzuki (He was the only C I could find younger than Larkin, with "similar" upside and production this year).

Its about the premise of downgrading Larkin to another young C, but adding a heck of a lot of draft capital.

Do we do it?

I am sorry but this is a "trade for the sake of a trade."

Reactions: mantha39

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't think Larkin gets traded unless Stevie picks up a legit 1C. The homerun scenario would be picking Wright AND signing Barkov next offseason, at which Larkin is expendable. Trade for a decent LHD, then boom playoffs.

Farfetched, but it's late and I'm still doing data transfers....

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The real question with Larkin is if he'll be willing to walk in free agency. I doubt it, I think he signs one more deal that takes him to ~30. If the Wings are still bad at that point, then I think he's dealt and/or walks. As @Gniwder points out, the likelihood of getting two centers who slot in above larkin within the next two years is pretty low. We can't let him walk for nothing, though. And I think the proposal by @BinCookin isn't far off the mark value wise.

Hell, I do think Yzerman would have a hard time walking away from that now if it's offered. Suzuki is looking like just as good of a stand-in as Larkin is, and if there is any team I could see falling apart and being a high lotto pick next year Montreal could make a pretty good case with their age and reliance on Price.

Reactions: ShippinItDaily

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

I think culture and history are really important to a team, particularly an original six team, even more so a team going through a rebuild. Even more important to a guy like Yzerman who was the Captain to lead this team out of the Dead Wings era.

Reactions: newfy

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I think culture and history are really important to a team, particularly an original six team, even more so a team going through a rebuild. Even more important to a guy like Yzerman who was the Captain to lead this team out of the Dead Wings era.

I mean, yes, but also if Yzerman gets a fantastic deal, he's not going to pass just because Larkin is captain. He's not going to seek out trading him unless Larkin asks or Larkin does something untenable... but he's not going to hold onto him because of the C either.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I mean, yes, but also if Yzerman gets a fantastic deal, he's not going to pass just because Larkin is captain. He's not going to seek out trading him unless Larkin asks or Larkin does something untenable... but he's not going to hold onto him because of the C either.

Sure sure, I don't think the C prevents him from being traded but Yzerman giving him the C signals that he doesn't intend to any time soon.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

To MTL
Larkin

To Det
1st Round pick 2022
2nd Round pick 2022

Do we do it?
Like everyone, I'll say that I don't see Larkin getting traded. He's the heart and soul of this team, our 1C, captain and known for having a great work ethic. He's the perfect guy to help bring rookies into the NHL.

That being said, if Montreal offered Suzuki + Lekhonen + 1st + 2nd for Larkin, I'd do it immediately. I think Suzuki is going to be a better player than Larkin and getting more picks is obviously great for the rebuild-especially from Montreal who could flounder and get a reasonably high pick. I can't see Montreal offering that deal. I'd do it.

I still think it's just fantasy though. I don't see Larkin getting traded.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Wasn't that Holland's reason for re-signing Helm and Abby?

I like Larkin, but he's not some sort of generational talent that's going to bring the Wings back to glory. Heck, even Stevie wasn't, those teams won the Cup because Mr. Ilitch wanted to win before he died and threw a ton of money into free agents before the salary cap.

Continuity means nothing when the team is losing. Right now the culture is all about losing, (not Larkin's fault but) why would we want to continue that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad