Speculation: A Possible Larkin Trade Template.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Seeing the Mantha Deal was very interesting to me. And in regards to the possible lengthening of our rebuild window. It has made me ponder a Trade that off hand would be very good for us. While at the same time I absolutely do NOT want to trade Larkin.

But just for sake of fun conversation...

Lets say MTL comes to us with a really big offer (in the offseason), Similar to the Mantha deal:

To MTL
Larkin

To Det
Nick Suzuki (Similar production C, Younger)
3rd liner Lehkonen (A tiny cap dump type player is what I'm going for here who could actually play on our 3rd line)
1st Round pick 2022
2nd Round pick 2022

In a similar vain to the Mantha Trade. This would be viewed as a huge overpay by MTL.
On the Flip Side, Larkin is definitely a Better player now, and may infact always be a better player than Suzuki.

This is not so much a thread about Suzuki (He was the only C I could find younger than Larkin, with "similar" upside and production this year).

Its about the premise of downgrading Larkin to another young C, but adding a heck of a lot of draft capital.

If this deal(Or similar deal) was presented to US (HFBoards Armchair GM's)
Do we do it?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Trading all the "older" players like 25 year old Larkin is a great way to end up like the Oilers with a bunch of young guys and no vets to show leadership in the room. They'll get lit up.

I like the idea of having Larkin around (who learned from Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kronwall, and plenty of other guys who have had long, successful careers) to help guys like Raymond, Zadina, Seider, this years pick etc break into the league

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
No thanks, Suzuki had 4 points less then Larkin in his first season. Suzuki's sophomore years is on a similar trajectory as Larkins sophomore season. Lehkonen is meh plus a 1st and 2nd round pick. Pretty much what Mantha got and Larkin's value should be twice that of Mantha. Larkin was heading to his 24th birthday and heading to his 6th season. Suzuki will be 22 late August heading into his 3rd season so Larkin already had far more experience then Suzuki at the same age. Sorry i don't see Suzuki as a major upgrade over Larkin just don't

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Larkin won't be traded.

But I do wonder what Yzerman's plan for Bertuzzi is. He was only signed to a 1 year deal and he is a RFA in the offseason. When Yzerman talked about the core players at the press conference on Monday he did not mention Bertuzzi's name.

Reactions: golffuul

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Larkin won't be traded.

But I do wonder what Yzerman's plan for Bertuzzi is. He was only signed to a 1 year deal and he is a RFA in the offseason. When Yzerman talked about the core players at the press conference on Monday he did not mention Bertuzzi's name.
He could. And I definitely think Bertuzzi is gone.

Reactions: golffuul

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Larkin won't be traded.

If what Kyper said is true, He said that Zach Werenski is heading home to Detroit possibly as a UFA or trade wise. I'd so something around Larkin for Werenski. Larkin should get twice the return that Mantha got. And that was a pretty nice haul.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
If what Kyper said is true, He said that Zach Werenski is heading home to Detroit possibly as a UFA or trade wise. I'd so something around Larkin for Werenski. Larkin should get twice the return that Mantha got. And that was a pretty nice haul.

Do you think you are even getting Zach Werenski's attention if you trade Larkin out of town? The one thing that probably would convince Werenski to NOT come home would be shipping his extremely close friend out of town in the process.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Do you think you are even getting Zach Werenski's attention if you trade Larkin out of town? The one thing that probably would convince Werenski to NOT come home would be shipping his extremely close friend out of town in the process.
So both are UFAs in 2023, We deal Larkin for Werenski then lock up Werenski long term and Larkin comes back home in 2023 win win. :naughty:

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
It's been reported that Larkin is one of three players Yzerman deemed untouchable. Also, why would we go a few years with no captain then name a captain and promptly trade him? Not happening and not interesting. Would be a bad look for the organization.

Reactions: David D

Christoph53

Jan 28, 2021
I don't think Yzerman is going to trade his newly appointed 24yo captain, who's the best player on the team.

I imagine there would have to be an absolutely ridiculous offer on the table to consider it.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I think it's gonna take an equal like-player or a bigger package than the one we saw with Mantha to get Larkin out.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Very much enjoying the recent posts talking about trading Larkin, Bertuzzi, and Erne in an attempt to get younger.

Really revitalizing my hatred of this place.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
The only way you maybe get Larkin shipped out of town is if Stevie gets offered an absolutely ridiculous deal where he gets an equally good young center in return. Like straight up for Eichel or the Oilers lose their mind and deal one of Drai or McDavid. Larkin isn't the guy you deal for futures, especially not after naming him captain.

Bert, Fabbri, and Vrana are all guys I could see shipped out over the next few seasons. Solid wingers but not ones you build around. Bert in particular is a guy I think you could get a massive haul for at the deadline. His injury and Vrana's meh season I think help keep them a bit better cost controlled so I think both will be resigned. Fabbri is probably dealt at the deadline next year and maybe one of the two other guys if Raymond and or JB look ready for a top 6 spot the following year.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I would agree with some others that Larkin is staying and if anyone is moving, it will be Bert who could be used to get in on Werenski before he becomes UFA. I think Columbus will be motivated to commit to one of Jones/Werenski, this summer, and sending Hronek and Bert the other way is probably a solid starting point for a Werenski deal. I'm not super sold on the timing of Werenski coming here, this summer though. While I would love to get Werenski here, I'm not convinced there is a good time to bring him here other than as a UFA. So I'm kind of torn on the whole thing. I think a lot of it will depend on how Vrana and Panik fit in, as to how we proceed in acquiring players to move us forward. My concern is how all the salaries will line up if certain players exceed expectations and arrive earlier than anticipated.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Larkin is worth astronomically more than Mantha. He's not getting traded because he's going to be here when we're good again and he'll be a key part in that happening.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It is too early to move him given the lack of center depth in the organization. Absent a huge overpayment you don't move him until you know for a fact you will lose him in free agency. That day may very well come, but it isn't today.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

I know Larkin is miscast as a top center and that's fine for now. But it makes no sense trading him when we have nothing behind him.
Larkin and Werenski want to play together preferably in Detroit. It makes zero sense to trade one for the other.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Sure if he made it to free agency, But how many times do players of Werenski's caliber ever make it ti free agency?

How many times do players of Larkin's caliber ever make it to free agency? I guess my point is if you are going to trade Larkin for Werenski, only to sign Larkin (theoretically) in the same free agency class, why would you not just wait and sign Werenski?

The bigger point is that if you are truly interested in going big game hunting in Werenski, you have to figure out how to do that without Larkin. It could be based around Hronek though, as much as that would chap some asses around here.

I could see Brandt Clarke if we are picking mid top 10. Trading a package including Hronek+more and going after Werenski.

Effectively converting Hronek to a better and LHD to solidify your top end D. Drafting and bringing in Clarke to be your depth RHD offensive defenseman. I don't know what that would look like in total. This would only be possible if said rumors have any merit and Werenski has quietly made his desires known in Columbus.

Reactions: ricky0034

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
The only way you maybe get Larkin shipped out of town is if Stevie gets offered an absolutely ridiculous deal where he gets an equally good young center in return. Like straight up for Eichel or the Oilers lose their mind and deal one of Drai or McDavid. Larkin isn't the guy you deal for futures, especially not after naming him captain.

Bert, Fabbri, and Vrana are all guys I could see shipped out over the next few seasons. Solid wingers but not ones you build around. Bert in particular is a guy I think you could get a massive haul for at the deadline. His injury and Vrana's meh season I think help keep them a bit better cost controlled so I think both will be resigned. Fabbri is probably dealt at the deadline next year and maybe one of the two other guys if Raymond and or JB look ready for a top 6 spot the following year.
This is insane lol. The only way we trade Larkin is straight up for Eichel or Drai McDavid? Ummm you do realize Larkin is a few tiers way down from these type of guys right?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad