A Penguins Rebuild Idea.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Oh I wouldn't say high end blueliners are undervalued at all in comparison to high end forwards. They're probably as valuable or more so than centers, and way above wingers, I'd guess.

I have to wonder just how involved Mario is anymore. I don't think Burkle was ever really involved, but haven't there been reports of Mario considering selling off the majority of his stake in the team in recent years? Dude's got his Cups as a player and owner, and he's loaded. Can't imagine he's really too interested in being around for another rebuild with no Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin on the horizon. :laugh:

I'm agreeing with you on this one. I think in all truth a guy like Letang currently is worth more $$$ than either 87 or 71. They just don't get paid as much because reasons. I wouldn't extend Letang at what he's currently worth though.

Good point on Mario. His holy quest was to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh. Having succeeded, he really doesn't need to keep owning the team any more if he doesn't want to.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm agreeing with you on this one. I think in all truth a guy like Letang currently is worth more $$$ than either 87 or 71. They just don't get paid as much because reasons. I wouldn't extend Letang at what he's currently worth though.

Good point on Mario. His holy quest was to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh. Having succeeded, he really doesn't need to keep owning the team any more if he doesn't want to.
Yeah, I mean I fully expect the team to sign Geno and Letang to whatever they ask--term and AAV--next summer. Not particularly in favor of that, as I'd rather the team start stockpiling high picks/prospects for the rebuild instead of pushing it off another few years while these guys talent their way through the regular season, but have no real hope of competing in the playoffs.

But they're big names that sell tickets and jerseys, so from a business point of view, I don't doubt we'll keep 'em around for another few seasons of victory lap hockey.

Last edited:

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
It’s fun to think about what kinda loot we could stockpile if we were to just go full-bore rebuild. If we start losing anyway, we wouldn’t have any reason not to blow it up.

But we're not losing. We won the division and were one goalie meltdown from going to the second round. The NHL wanted more competitive 1st round matchups so getting through the 1st round isn't the same as it has been in years past.

We can also start investing in the future without trading everyone. If we would stop trading our picks and prospects we can add young talent without giving up on the present.

Reactions: ziggyjoe212

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
But we're not losing. We won the division and were one goalie meltdown from going to the second round. The NHL wanted more competitive 1st round matchups so getting through the 1st round isn't the same as it has been in years past.

We can also start investing in the future without trading everyone. If we would stop trading our picks and prospects we can add young talent without giving up on the present.
We've been out in the first round three seasons in a row, though. :laugh: Yeah, Jarry sunk the team's chances, and with average goaltending we probably advance, but I really don't think this team's competing as currently constructed. Had we made it through, I have zero doubt Sully would've continued to screw up the lines, and feed Sid's line into the Bergeron woodchipper without hesitation all series long. I don't think the NHL's divisional playoff thing had any effect either, we've played the Isles as recently as the season before last. Not too out of the ordinary.

I think Jarry's the easy lightning rod, for sure. He sucked shit. But Sid, Jake, Rust, and McCann continuing their annual disappearance come playoff time is a big problem too. Sid's not going anywhere, so we kind of need to rearrange the wings if we want to make any headway beyond the perennial 1st/2nd round exits.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Malkin for Owen Tippett and Aleksi Heponiemi
Crosby for Alex Newhook and Andre Burakovsky plus a pick
Letang for William Nylander
Dumoulin and Rust for Brock Boeser and Olli Juolevi
Guentzel for Matthew Tkachuk

Tkachuk-Newhook-Boeser
Burakovsky-Nylander-Kapanen
McCann-Carter-Tippett
Heponiemi-Bleuger-Tanev

Pettersson-Hamilton
Matheson-Marino
POJ-Ceci
Freidman-Juolevi

God I love that top line. I should have stopped there.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Had we made it through, I have zero doubt Sully would've continued to screw up the lines, and feed Sid's line into the Bergeron woodchipper without hesitation all series long.

It would have been comical to see March/Bergeron eat 59/87/17's lunch every other night and then have the entire org, team, media and fanbase act like it didn't happen the next day. Sad but comical.

Reactions: Burn

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
They can do whatever to be mediocre and lose......i just want them to lose in 23-24 to get one of the guys in that draft like Savoie

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Malkin for Owen Tippett and Aleksi Heponiemi
Crosby for Alex Newhook and Andre Burakovsky plus a pick
Letang for William Nylander
Dumoulin and Rust for Brock Boeser and Olli Juolevi
Guentzel for Matthew Tkachuk

Tkachuk-Newhook-Boeser
Burakovsky-Nylander-Kapanen
McCann-Carter-Tippett
Heponiemi-Bleuger-Tanev

Pettersson-Hamilton
Matheson-Marino
POJ-Ceci
Freidman-Juolevi

God I love that top line. I should have stopped there.
Literally ZERO chance you're being serious.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have no problem with the core guys retiring here. My thoughts are, unless we are competing when they are 38... do you think they will even want to stay here?

If the team is not competing, I could see Crosby wanting to go to a contender. Doesn’t ruin one bit of his legacy, he could go out the door tomorrow and he’ll always be a penguin.

With that said, seems pretty clear based on Hextall’s interview that they think this team can compete in the foreseeable future.

competing with older superstars is doable as long as they have lower responsibilities.... if not for heart issues Lemieux could have been more productive than Jagr into his 40s

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
Say what you will about the pros and cons of full-scale rebuilding the Penguins as they currently stand, but this offseason could be the perfect time to take advantage of some other desperate teams to retool with fantastic young players. There are of course many other items to follow, but the following move sets up Pittsburgh for a proper rebuild for the first time in a long time.

Trade Crosby to Toronto for Marner, Liljegren, Amirov, and a 1st.
- The Penguins gain an immediate superstar in Marner, a potential stud defenseman in Liljegren, a quality prospect in Amirov, and the ever-popular mystery item.
- Toronto adds yet another aging superstar with leadership and intangibles, essentially mirroring the attempts with Marleau & Thornton but while Crosby is actually a good player, all while shaking up a team that clearly needs it.

When you don't want to ruin your reputation, create a new account! Good alt, man.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Some folks are bigger fans of Crosby’s legacy than the Pittsburgh Penguins. None of that for me.

I mean I agree but it’s not about Crosby’s legacy. Drafting him was luck but directly helped keep the team here, he signed a friendly deal, and has been the model leader/captain. Active in local community. There’s been a lot of winning here on the ice that’s coincided with all that.

Unless he asked out, as a fan of the Penguins I want them to treat him with a familial level of respect. I think that will yield more benefits for the product on the ice than risking trading him for pieces, even good ones.

Same with Geno. Players respect that, it strengthens the orgs reputation and attracts talent. Kind of a give respect to earn it type deal.

Just my opinion. It’s admittedly based on sentiment. Maybe trading them would build the next dynasty, but not a path I’d personally like to see us take.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The one outcome I'm hoping the team avoids is settling into that shitty purgatory of being a borderline playoff team that barely makes the playoffs with zero chance of doing any damage. They make no meaningful progress toward the Cup, and they make no meaningful progress toward the rebuild by landing top-5 picks and restocking the prospect pool with impressive, top flight talent.

I think Sid, Geno and Letang will be good enough to keep them hovering around a playoff spot for several years, even if they've got no real shot at making a run anymore.

That's what I'm least excited about. I get and appreciate the whole legacy thing, and I really do appreciate the Sid/Geno era, I just don't want this team to refuse to close the chapter because of nostalgia. /shrug

I said before; this is like a really good show that I've watched and enjoyed for many seasons finally coming to a close. I'd rather they just finish the story and let it end than to keep pushing out mediocre episodes/seasons in order to continue to milk the cash cow. (I do think that's the main driving point behind these dudes sticking around for another several years. It's not about icing the best lineup, it's gonna be about selling jerseys and putting people in the seats--especially in post-Covid where revenue took a massive hit.)

I don't know. I'm not gonna be bent outta shape either way, I'd just like the team to commit one way or another. Rebuild and sell everything, or go out and land some significant additions to surround this core with a better mix to get one final run, maybe two, out of the era. The status quo of just kind of letting things play out and floating along the lazy river is shitty and boring--though I think it's the runaway favorite for how it'll all play out. :laugh:

I do think Geno's potentially catastrophic knee situation is gonna go a long way toward figuring out how this team winds down at the end of the era, though. If his knee is cooked, which seems possible at his age and based on the rumors of multiple ligaments being significant damaged, he may well hang 'em up in a year or two after trying to give it a go. I don't think that's a likely outcome, but the situation is definitely one to wait and watch. Letang's aging better than the centers and is playing arguably his best hockey, but the wheels are gonna go sometime and it's gonna get ugly fast. Sid's just kinda cruising, and his PPG season last year saw him feasting on bad/awful teams and racking up a handful of EN points. He looked awful, as did his wingers, against the Isles.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Some folks are bigger fans of Crosby’s legacy than the Pittsburgh Penguins. None of that for me.

This board is definitely half a Penguins fan board, and half a Crosby/Malkin FanFiction board. I mean, come on, was Jankowski or Rodrigues getting a sweater really a bigger problem than Geno playing like sh1t for the first 25 games and Sid's appalling play in the playoffs? We know the actual answer.

For the most part the interests of the Penguins run parallel the interests of the Crosby/Malkin FanFic but Geno's upcoming contract puts a fork in the road. Will be interesting to watch I guess.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This board is definitely half a Penguins fan board, and half a Crosby/Malkin FanFiction board. I mean, come on, was Jankowski or Rodrigues getting a sweater really a bigger problem than Geno playing like sh1t for the first 25 games and Sid's appalling play in the playoffs? We know the actual answer.

For the most part the interests of the Penguins run parallel the interests of the Crosby/Malkin FanFic but Geno's upcoming contract puts a fork in the road. Will be interesting to watch I guess.

Kuznetsov's available, so maybe you'll get your wish!

May 17, 2009
Maine
Given that we've just come through a global pandemic and the disruption many have experienced in their personal lives and the messed up schedule in the league this year, I'm prepared to wait one more year before I start thinking about dumping star players.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Say what you will about the pros and cons of full-scale rebuilding the Penguins as they currently stand, but this offseason could be the perfect time to take advantage of some other desperate teams to retool with fantastic young players. There are of course many other items to follow, but the following move sets up Pittsburgh for a proper rebuild for the first time in a long time.

Trade Crosby to Toronto for Marner, Liljegren, Amirov, and a 1st.
- The Penguins gain an immediate superstar in Marner, a potential stud defenseman in Liljegren, a quality prospect in Amirov, and the ever-popular mystery item.
- Toronto adds yet another aging superstar with leadership and intangibles, essentially mirroring the attempts with Marleau & Thornton but while Crosby is actually a good player, all while shaking up a team that clearly needs it.
Crosby will only be traded if he wants to be traded .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad