A Penguins Rebuild Idea.

99ideas

Jun 3, 2021
Say what you will about the pros and cons of full-scale rebuilding the Penguins as they currently stand, but this offseason could be the perfect time to take advantage of some other desperate teams to retool with fantastic young players. There are of course many other items to follow, but the following move sets up Pittsburgh for a proper rebuild for the first time in a long time.

Trade Crosby to Toronto for Marner, Liljegren, Amirov, and a 1st.
- The Penguins gain an immediate superstar in Marner, a potential stud defenseman in Liljegren, a quality prospect in Amirov, and the ever-popular mystery item.
- Toronto adds yet another aging superstar with leadership and intangibles, essentially mirroring the attempts with Marleau & Thornton but while Crosby is actually a good player, all while shaking up a team that clearly needs it.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I believe you'd need Mario to sell his stake in the team before the Pittsburgh Penguins would trade Sidney Crosby.

Even then, it won't happen unless Sid absolutely wants out because he's a top earner in terms of jerseys and he puts people in the seats.

Sort of ends right there, imo. If there's like a 0.5% chance Geno is ever traded (and he'd have to initiate it, like Sid), there is an absolute, literal 0% chance Sid ever gets dealt. None.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Trading Sidney Crosby would be a very sad day for this franchise regardless of what we got back.

I'd hate to see the Penguins go from the way they are viewed to a cut throat org.

Regardless of what some say about us "underachieving". This is the best franchise in the league since 1990. Most wins. Most championships. Most trophies. Best stars.

We own our rink. There is no reason to ruin the legacy of this team for a bunch of hopes.

Let Sid, Malkin and Letang retire here.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
I have no problem with the core guys retiring here. My thoughts are, unless we are competing when they are 38... do you think they will even want to stay here?

If the team is not competing, I could see Crosby wanting to go to a contender. Doesn’t ruin one bit of his legacy, he could go out the door tomorrow and he’ll always be a penguin.

With that said, seems pretty clear based on Hextall’s interview that they think this team can compete in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

The Sodfather

Jan 19, 2021
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Burke was on Madden this afternoon, and if he is to be believed, Crosby, Malkin and Letang will finish their careers here. Sully is their coach moving forward, and other than trying to add some size to the line up, he is all in with the type of team the Pens are and with Sully's coaching. FWIW.

Reactions: gopens66

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’m not against a full blown rebuild including trading Sid but I don’t see Toronto being interested with Matthews & Tavares. I think Montreal would be the best place to maximize value for Sid. Float a few rumors around and that city would riot if they *didn’t* pull the trigger. Could get Caufield and a bunch of 1sts.

Reactions: tread102

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I'll just never understand why people are in a hurry to lose.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'll just never understand why people are in a hurry to lose.
It’s fun to think about what kinda loot we could stockpile if we were to just go full-bore rebuild. If we start losing anyway, we wouldn’t have any reason not to blow it up.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I don't like it and I don't think Crosby will ever be dealt.

But all of you mocking the OP - like MiB brought up - this team has done far worse trading superstars.

You think this proposal is silly? Beech, Sivek, and Lupaschuk say hi.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I meeeeean, is it really being in a hurry to blow it up, or lose, when the team's out in the first round annually, the supporting cast is ineffective, and the core can't do what they used to being 35 and oft-injured? This isn't a team a year removed from an ECF or SCF appearance.

Is there a difference between missing the playoffs entirely and making them just to get sent on our way in the 1st, maybe 2nd round?

I'm fine with Sid, Geno and Letang playing out their contracts here. I'm not too big on re-signing Geno and Letang for the AAV and term they'll get, but it's probably inevitable unless they want to walk or retire next summer. I just think acting like we're on the cusp of greatness and these are knee-jerk reactions instead of responses to repeated failures and a window that's rapidly closing, if it's even open at all, is a lazy copout imo.

(Sid won't ever be traded. Literal zero percent chance. Geno's not far behind, but he's not on Sid's level in the eyes of the organization, imo. Letang's up in the air, but I do think all three finish their careers here)

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Burke was on Madden this afternoon, and if he is to be believed, Crosby, Malkin and Letang will finish their careers here. Sully is their coach moving forward, and other than trying to add some size to the line up, he is all in with the type of team the Pens are and with Sully's coaching. FWIW.

Burke said he expects all will be here next season. When asked about whether he could see negotiating extensions with them, he said sure. I didn't see it as a ringing endorsement and wouldn't be surprised to see them put off negotiations until next year.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Say what you will about the pros and cons of full-scale rebuilding the Penguins as they currently stand, but this offseason could be the perfect time to take advantage of some other desperate teams to retool with fantastic young players. There are of course many other items to follow, but the following move sets up Pittsburgh for a proper rebuild for the first time in a long time.

- The Penguins gain an immediate superstar in Marner, a potential stud defenseman in Liljegren, a quality prospect in Amirov, and the ever-popular mystery item.
- Toronto adds yet another aging superstar with leadership and intangibles, essentially mirroring the attempts with Marleau & Thornton but while Crosby is actually a good player, all while shaking up a team that clearly needs it.

lets hear your other 98 ideas

Reactions: Gold Diamond

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Some folks are bigger fans of Crosby’s legacy than the Pittsburgh Penguins. None of that for me.

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA

99 ideas… but a good one ain’t 1

Reactions: Gold Diamond

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
I don’t think anyone is in a hurry to lose. Just that it seems like these guys aren’t really able to pull it together in the playoffs like they did when they were younger.

If this is what this is going to be from here on out - I’d much rather trade some players now, and accelerate a rebuild.

It doesn’t matter though, I think Mario is going to green light being “all in” until Crosby no longer plays hockey.

Time has really flown, can’t believe we are having this convo. Watching them make the playoffs again against Sens feels like yesterday.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad