The Star: A need for speed drives Leafs captain John Tavares in summer workouts

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
OT: I think Carolina is at least our equal and the Rangers and Washington aren't getting nearly enough credit after recent moves. Especially the Capitals. I think last season they caught their breath. The Capitals are going to be a real disruption this year.
They were just getting going it looked like mid florida series..

Reactions: ITM

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
OT: I think Carolina is at least our equal and the Rangers and Washington aren't getting nearly enough credit after recent moves. Especially the Capitals. I think last season they caught their breath. The Capitals are going to be a real disruption this year.

It's possible those teams aren't getting enough credit, I haven't thought it about it enough to have a strong opinion here either way. All I know is that Leafs are among the top favourites to win the cup. I'm just sickened by what us fans have had to endure over these last few playoff seasons but this still a top contender and it might even be fair to say that our chances going into this season are better than they were in any of the previous seasons with this core.

There are enough reasons to believe that despite past playoff failures, this team can win so when the season starts, I'm going to try to forget about the last 5 years and try to enjoy the ride. It should be a good one and you never know, this could be the year. :)

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
It's possible those teams aren't getting enough credit, I haven't thought it about it enough to have a strong opinion here either way. All I know is that Leafs are among the top favourites to win the cup. I'm just sickened by what us fans have had to endure over these last few playoff seasons but this still a top contender and it might even be fair to say that our chances going into this season are better than they were in any of the previous seasons with this core.

There are enough reasons to believe that despite past playoff failures, this team can win so when the season starts, I'm going to try to forget about the last 5 years and try to enjoy the ride. It should be a good one and you never know, this could be the year. :)

Pretty much what Shanny's plan was without the PO success. He wanted to develop a team that competed for the cup yearly (someone feel free to provide the actual verbiage). This team has looked like a contender for several seasons IMO.

They need to start turning the corner and having some success in the PO or it might start coming apart when contracts come due.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
People really need to stop whining about the decline of this guy. Say what you want about him but the guy's a gud pro and I'll wager to say that there is not one player on our team who wants to win the cup next season more than him.

Atta boy JT, keep setting that good example like a captain should!
I don't think he is a Keefe compatible player. Players that aren't jackrabbits do okay in other systems and I believe JT would as well. I think he can become more effective with some tweaks but his best hope might be a split from this coach. The one player on the club who should miss Babcock.

I would like to see Reilly lose 15-20 though. The guy plays at 220+ with zero physicality. Imagine what a gazelle he would be back at 200 because you don't need big mass to poke check.. Any muscles he doesn't use outside of the gym shouldn't be there, they are just ballast. Maybe just work on slapshot muscles.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think he is a Keefe compatible player. Players that aren't jackrabbits do okay in other systems and I believe JT would as well. I think he can become more effective with some tweaks but his best hope might be a split from this coach. The one player on the club who should miss Babcock.

I would like to see Reilly lose 15-20 though. The guy plays at 220+ with zero physicality. Imagine what a gazelle he would be back at 200 because you don't need big mass to poke check.. Any muscles he doesn't use outside of the gym shouldn't be there, they are just ballast. Maybe just work on slapshot muscles.
You might be right that JT isn't an ideal fit here. To me that's just one more reason to tune out when people whine about JT's play, he's done quite well under the circumstances and is still a damn good hockey player.

Reactions: Confucius

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
A near PPG 2nd line center needs to have a comeback season?
Just because he is a PPG player doesn’t mean he is a PPG player...famous saying from a buddy.

He is the captain, he can’t disappear for the first 3/4 games of any series. JT has a lot to prove this year. The same can be said for Matthews, Marner and Nylander. None of them have stepped up and said climb on my back we ain’t losing this one. Until the leaders of this team does that we are doomed. Last year McJesus did that against LA and it steam rolled into the flames. They just ran into a better and deeper team in the Avs.

Reactions: supermann_98

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Just because he is a PPG player doesn’t mean he is a PPG player...famous saying from a buddy.

He is the captain, he can’t disappear for the first 3/4 games of any series. JT has a lot to prove this year. The same can be said for Matthews, Marner and Nylander. None of them have stepped up and said climb on my back we ain’t losing this one. Until the leaders of this team does that we are doomed. Last year McJesus did that against LA and it steam rolled into the flames. They just ran into a better and deeper team in the Avs.

AM 11.6
JT 11
MM 10.9
MR 7.5
WN 7.0

need to keep perspective on who are the highest paid players and dish out responsibility as appropriate.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Matthews was the best player in the series and we still lost. All of those guys showed up and then our depth got outscored by Perry and Paul. We need our depth to be better, and we need a goalie to steal an important game. We outplayed and outscored Tampa in the series. Sometimes things just don't fall your way.

We're wayyyy overdue for some puck luck in the playoffs as well.We had something like a 1/10000+ chance of losing every elimination game over the past few years and we've managed to do that regardless of how well we have played.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

Nylander has done this game tying goal game 4 jackets with the 200 ft do or die zone entry, had the puck on a string all 3rd period game 5 versus Habs to tie the game 3-3 , then had the series won with 2 seconds left with the infamous rush where he setup the open net shot-for-rebound for Mik. Mik gonna mik though. Him and jt had Tampa series locked up before refs said no.

You guys keep using his name negatively and you're all dead wrong. Add even one more playoff Nylander to this team and it's game over.

Now that I'm looking back, Nylander literally beat the habs by himself, all he needed was the final tap in off his shot pass from the top 6 wanna-be to ice it and didn't get it. Then Matt Frattin effect unleashed instead

Last edited:

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Nylander has done this game tying goal game 4 jackets with the 200 ft do or die zone entry, had the puck on a string all 3rd period game 5 versus Habs to tie the game 3-3 , then had the series won with 2 seconds left with the infamous rush where he setup the open net shot-for-rebound for Mik. Mik gonna mik though. Him and jt had Tampa series locked up before refs said no.

You guys keep using his name negatively and you're all dead wrong. Add even one more playoff Nylander to this team and it's game over.

Now that I'm looking back, Nylander literally beat the habs by himself, all he needed was the final tap in off his shot pass from the top 6 wanna-be to ice it and didn't get it. Then Matt Frattin effect unleashed instead
100% facts

Interesting to think how Nylander would be perceived today if Mikheyev finished that play off and we advanced to round 2 off the backs of the second line driven by Nylander. Can extend that to Galchenyuk as well, as he made a solid side kick until everything went downhill after the missed open net. Went from his career finally taking off back to journey man

Excited to see JT-Nylander get a second (third?) try next season. An in shape JT would be deadly beside Nylander at his best

Last edited:

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
100% facts

Interesting to think how Nylander would be perceived today if Mikheyev finished that play off and we advanced to round 2 off the backs of the second line driven by Nylander. Can extend that to Galchenyuk as well, as he made a solid side kick until everything went downhill after the missed open net. Went from his career finally taking off back to journey man

Excited to see JT-Nylander get a second (third?) try next season. An in shape JT would be deadly beside Nylander at his best

That line needs a third player to complete it. Not sure a Bunting like player is the answer here either. IMO Kerfoot while a good player doesn't seem to mesh very well with JT.

What would work best?​

Someone with a strong cycle game to work that with JT?​
Someone with good wheels to keep up with Willy?​
Pure sniper to finish off chances created by those two?​
Set-up man?​

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That line needs a third player to complete it. Not sure a Bunting like player is the answer here either. IMO Kerfoot while a good player doesn't seem to mesh very well with JT.

What would work best?​

Set-up man?​

I'm gonna say someone with some hands, that skates well, with a little grit.

So I don't think they need elite anything, just good most things.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Not sure where to post this but Matthews looks like he got shredded this off-season. You can actually see the muscle definition and even the fat loss on his face, he might just be even better this coming year.

Now that's going to be HARD sire! :clap: Imagine him and Tavares being quicker like speedy gonzales or clint eastwood "blondie" in the good the bad and the ugly...... they gon draw like a maofao after this summer sire. WE HARD! :clap:

Kyle089

May 21, 2018

What would work best?​

Set-up man?​
Depending how he looks in training camp, I would consider giving Engvall a look on the second line. He has the speed to keep up with Nylander, and has a good shot. He also has the size and strength the play the cycle game down low with Tavares. He's also defensively responsible enough, along with Tavares to match up with the opposition's top 6.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A near PPG 2nd line center needs to have a comeback season?
John Tavares has the NHL's 5th highest cap hit at $11 mil AAV.
&
John Tavares finished 42nd in NHL scoring with 76 points.
=
Cap hit C.H% does not align with production.

ie. Matthews has the 3rd highest and finished 6th in NHL scoring with 106 while winning Hart and Rocket. Marner has the 7th highest AAV finished 10th in scoring leaders with 97 points but missed 10 games.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
John Tavares has the NHL's 5th highest cap hit at $11 mil AAV.
&
John Tavares finished 42nd in NHL scoring with 76 points.
=
Cap hit C.H% does not align with production.

ie. Matthews has the 3rd highest and finished 6th in NHL scoring with 106 while winning Hart and Rocket. Marner has the 7th highest AAV finished 10th in scoring leaders with 97 points but missed 10 games.

Weird way to evaluate players, especially Matthews since he is usually considered the 2nd best player in the league.

Also, weird to stack up a contract signed recently vs someone like let's say, Crosby.

If you do it by CH%, Tavares is 10th highest and Matthews is 4th.

Matthews was also 3rd in PPG (if you include Kucherov), so good thing you used raw totals to push your narrative.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
I also think we see that 2x #1 center advantage Matthews and Tavares were meant to be this season.

I see the Leafs dominating a lot of games.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
No it was an issue of the Leafs paying for their prospects and players to travel to come to and stay in Toronto and use the facilities. NHL franchises also can't pay for specialty coaches to come in and work with their players and prospects either or else they'll be fined.

Basically the "poorer" billionaires bitched and moaned that the Leafs were flexing their financial muscle and rather than spend some of their own money to help their players improve and bring the league playing level to a higher standard they'd rather just stop other teams from doing the best they can for the players they have under contract.

We'll keep subsidizing the likes of Arizona though.

Hockey Marxism. The worlds becoming more authoritarian and so is the NHL.

We always knew that though. Years of Refs favouring Boston and resorting to a call back goal vs the lightning.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Washington? Nicklas Backstrom could miss all of next year or retire altogether.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad