The Star: A need for speed drives Leafs captain John Tavares in summer workouts

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Good for him, as long as he can maintain or slightly improve he'll be fine. He's still a good player and honestly, if he paid like he did last year for the rest of his contract the leafs should be okay. He's one of the best 2nd line centers you can have.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
I see, so a twosome that has proven to work in the past and allows us to split up our two best forwards across two lines won't work as well as one that has two years of mediocre to disappointing results because Tavares and Nylander both have strong legs? Mmmm..ok
Yeah if you want to dumb it down to just strong legs instead of looking into how their skill sets gel just to look right then sure.

I didnt say jt and marner don't have chemistry I Said the chemistry is over rated. Matthews just won the Hart with marner as his winger and jt and Nylander were basically point per game in an off year for Tavares so yes I'll stick with my lines over yours. JT and Nylanders skillsets have a higher ceiling for potential (mean to say chemistry not potential) over jt and marners.

One simple example is JT and Nylander unlock a net crashing aspect marner doesn't really do when he's with JT. When Tavares fitness was fine but thumb bothering him he deferred to Nylander and created space for him instead and it feel like Nylander was scoring almost every game until covid ruined all the fun.

Last edited:

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
Here's how I'd improve JT and many other leafs speed.

Forecheck and go after the puck like your life depended on it, or like you wanna win in the playoffs.

Edgework and skating drills are all great, but if your just coasting around all the time waiting for the puck to come to you...

Reactions: PromisedLand

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Yeah if you want to dumb it down to just strong legs instead of looking into how their skill sets gel just to look right then sure.

I didnt say jt and marner don't have chemistry I Said the chemistry is over rated. Matthews just won the Hart with marner as his winger and jt and Nylander were basically point per game in an off year for Tavares so yes I'll stick with my lines over yours. JT and Nylanders skillsets have a higher ceiling for potential (mean to say chemistry not potential) over jt and marners.

One simple example is JT and Nylander unlock a net crashing aspect marner doesn't really do when he's with JT. When Tavares fitness was fine but thumb bothering him he deferred to Nylander and created space for him instead and it feel like Nylander was scoring almost every game until covid ruined all the fun.
You seem to be providing a scouting report for potential and hypotheticals but ignoring the fact that in spite of this working on paper it hasn't worked in practice.

JT and WN don't seem to work well together. I don't think we try another run at them together when we have another option that has worked.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You seem to be providing a scouting report for potential and hypotheticals but ignoring the fact that in spite of this working on paper it hasn't worked in practice.

JT and WN don't seem to work well together. I don't think we try another run at them together when we have another option that has worked.

If u put Nylander with Matthews, Matthews suffer's because they dont have chemistry. This is on Nylander and how unreliable he is as a player and how many different versions of his game he plays. Nylander fully engaged has chemistry with anyone, his lack luster, look off his linemates, doesnt care vibe is at least 40 gam es a year. This is a major issue with Nylander, he has not shown long term chemistry with 1 Leafs player since 2015.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If u put Nylander with Matthews, Matthews suffer's because they dont have chemistry. This is on Nylander and how unreliable he is as a player and how many different versions of his game he plays. Nylander fully engaged has chemistry with anyone, his lack luster, look off his linemates, doesnt care vibe is at least 40 gam es a year. This is a major issue with Nylander, he has not shown long term chemistry with 1 Leafs player since 2015.

When is the last time he had any time with Matthews?

Reactions: nuck

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
That is a risk that they don't have chemistry, but do we know that they don't?

Have they played together enough recently to know this? I am not sure that WN and AM work but if they do then we likely will really have two lines producing...if it doesn't work out then we got back to Mitch and Matty.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
No it was an issue of the Leafs paying for their prospects and players to travel to come to and stay in Toronto and use the facilities. NHL franchises also can't pay for specialty coaches to come in and work with their players and prospects either or else they'll be fined.

Basically the "poorer" billionaires bitched and moaned that the Leafs were flexing their financial muscle and rather than spend some of their own money to help their players improve and bring the league playing level to a higher standard they'd rather just stop other teams from doing the best they can for the players they have under contract.

We'll keep subsidizing the likes of Arizona though.

This was and is still so freaking stupid...

Good for JT though and heres hoping.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
yeah when i say drive the line it means carry it and create chances. nylander doesnt do that and tavares needs a guy like that. the fit isnt there for me. both are individually good though.

I can’t count the number of beautiful Willy passes that Tavares flubbed or put right into the goalies crest last season. Tavares just wasn’t that good last year. I have my doubts this year but him focusing on his skating at least sounds he’s doing something even if it ends up being lip service.

I question his effort level and will to win but one thing Nylander definitely is effective at is playmaking.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Put Auston with Nylander and Tavares with Mitch… Matthews will still win the Rocket and JT with Marner will be a dangerous 2nd line.

Reactions: Confucius

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I'm sure the concussion affected him, to an extent. His first half production (by memory) was pretty solid, and he was being considered for a spot on the Olympic team, who can forget his fine modeling job with the Roots stuff :rolleyes: I'd be curious to know whether JT suffered from long covid symptoms. From personal experience I know that it can knock you back that 5% from your best efforts and at this level, 5% means a lot. I'd suggest it's a consideration you'd never hear JT/Leafs discuss. He would not want to provide any excuse for his play.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I think hope should be reserved for Tavares’ increased endurance.

I don’t think he gets faster to any real degree, but hope he reconditions himself to a point where his top speed can be maintained longer.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Oh this is TREALLY great for our team next season :clap: :clap: Thank you sun for the article and TAVARES especially for his changing ways :clap: He has read some of the internet comments I'm sure and we all know he hast to be a bit quicker. Then he will KILL EVEN MORE ON THE ICE. 80 point player is already a threat but him being quicker next season.... we will be so great as a team. Others will get murdered. Thank you JOHNNY! :clap:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think hope should be reserved for Tavares’ increased endurance.

I don’t think he gets faster to any real degree, but hope he reconditions himself to a point where his top speed can be maintained longer.

I think he had to work a lot harder this year (at both ends) than he has any other year. He would battle in his own end only to go down to the other end and be responsible for winning battles in the offensive end and then going to battle in front of the net.

That is why adding a guy like Anderson to take some of that load off of him will go a long way.

Reactions: ITM and Nineteen67

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
You must be a tourist if this is a serious question

Lets keep in mind the mik/engvall as JT wingers suggestion was born via JT looking like a slower, sluggish less skilled version of himself. The theory was that Mik and Engvall style of play will hover around him and keep the puck moving against third line QoC.

This thread is about JT rebounding back to his full form. In no universe should an Engvall be beside him at his full form.
Like I said, just a thought. Emgvall seemed to be progressing a bit over the last two years.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Just a thought. Would Engvall be any good on LW w/JT. Big body, seems heavy on the forcheck. Need a mucker (Hyman) to get the puck. Or is he still too soft.
I think he definately could be. JT needs someone on the other side to flow with his play style. (Willy is a rushing/transition/speed/etc guy)

My thoughts are: Robertson finds his niche on the other side - weak spots and get open with that shot. Settle the game down...let JT and other winger "work".

That leave Nylander to either run on L3 or find a crafty trade for a top6, playoff style winger.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think he had to work a lot harder this year (at both ends) than he has any other year. He would battle in his own end only to go down to the other end and be responsible for winning battles in the offensive end and then going to battle in front of the net.

That is why adding a guy like Anderson to take some of that load off of him will go a long way.
That 2nd line needs a skilled grinder.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
That 2nd line needs a skilled grinder.
The second line needs a skilled 2 way player. Defensively, it is atrocious when both JT & Willy are together. JT is ok in the D-zone but is too slow when transitioning. Willy loves to blow the zone in the d-end and has no one to play with on the rush.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The second line needs a skilled 2 way player. Defensively, it is atrocious when both JT & Willy are together. JT is ok in the D-zone but is too slow when transitioning. Willy loves to blow the zone in the d-end and has no one to play with on the rush.
Didn’t Willy lead the nhl in breakaway chances? He wants his cookies so they need responsible defenders.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I'm not worried about Tavares in the least. I thought he looked really good at the end of the season and into the playoffs. Now he has a summer where he can properly train and maybe work on a little quickness. I know everyone gets hung up on the contract but he's still a legitimate #2 (borderline #1) C.

Reactions: therealkoho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad