The Star: A need for speed drives Leafs captain John Tavares in summer workouts

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I'm all for players bettering themselves. I just don't know how he can transform himself after all these years. If he's considered a slower skater it's likely because he naturally is. Didn't he go to the gym in long Island with the same intent? Didn't he work on his fitness/skating last offseason? Perhaps they can invent a rocket skate for him.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Just a thought. Would Engvall be any good on LW w/JT. Big body, seems heavy on the forcheck. Need a mucker (Hyman) to get the puck. Or is he still too soft.
You must be a tourist if this is a serious question

Lets keep in mind the mik/engvall as JT wingers suggestion was born via JT looking like a slower, sluggish less skilled version of himself. The theory was that Mik and Engvall style of play will hover around him and keep the puck moving against third line QoC.

This thread is about JT rebounding back to his full form. In no universe should an Engvall be beside him at his full form.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
JTs issue wasn't just being slow of foot. It's being slow to react, slow of mind. He's not anticipating well or outthinking opponents the way he should. Its not a hcokey IQ thing, cuz he's smart and experienced enough. It almost seems like hes working harder not smarter. Hes always taking these direct.lines and being predictable and late in his pursuits. When really, he just needs to take a breath and stop proving how "hard he's working" all the time. Basically, I dont think his speed issue is all physical. In addition to footspeed, I hope the sports psychology and hockey science team can get him refocused on being more proactive and anticipatory again. That would make all the difference in the world.
I was thinking something similar to this, but if he is lighter and in better shape next year and experiences less fatigue on the ice that in itself could alleviate some of the other concerns you highlight.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Tavares is only 31 years old (32 in September). The way people talk about him sometimes, it's like he's a ~36-40 year old.

Players have up and down years, including in their primes (Ovechkin put up 65 points in 78 games in 2011-2012 and 69 points in 82 games in 2016-2017, just as an example from the first guy I looked up). Tavares at 32 this upcoming season is likely exiting his prime, but I also don't think it's a given that he's going to be worse than last season. He could easily bounce back and be better.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You must be a tourist if this is a serious question

Lets keep in mind the mik/engvall as JT wingers suggestion was born via JT looking like a slower, sluggish less skilled version of himself. The theory was that Mik and Engvall style of play will hover around him and keep the puck moving against third line QoC.

This thread is about JT rebounding back to his full form. In no universe should an Engvall be beside him at his full form.

Also born from the facts that Tavares made a career making plumber wingers look like scorers and that engvall/mikky made any line they were on a possession beast (and scored plenty too).

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I'm all for players bettering themselves. I just don't know how he can transform himself after all these years. If he's considered a slower skater it's likely because he naturally is. Didn't he go to the gym in long Island with the same intent? Didn't he work on his fitness/skating last offseason? Perhaps they can invent a rocket skate for him.
Last off season they had a meeting at his cottage to sort out their playoff woes.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
One would assume, the difference this year is there’s an article in the newspaper about it.

Everyday there are new training regimens that they can try.
My son is a ball player and they have to workout all year, but the program changes all the time to keep them from monotony and to work on their weakness.

I’d be more interested to know if the newly acquired 6’4 175lb goalie is actually healthy enough to workout.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Last off season he wasn't able to do the work because of his concussion.

But it will be interesting to see if he does come to camp a few pounds lighter if that will make a difference.

Kadri had a career year last year, and they are the same age, so who knows what sort of change can happen for players exiting their prime.

Rather than Tavares, perhaps the biggest impact on that line might be who is going to be player #3?

I've seen a few mention Engvall, not sure that is a fit, but heck we didn't know 26 year old Bunting last year would be a fit for the 1st. line. Bunting will be 27 for this season, and Engvall will be 26 this season. Engvall can get to the puck quickly, and he has time and space, so the question is whether he can maneuver within that envelope rather than rushing it. Can he use that time and space and utilize his linemates?

Tavares could be his best, but he needs a better constructed line.

I'd be curious to see either of these two tryouts in preseason:

Douglas-Tavares-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Nylander

Oh, I know the argument, those guys aren't 2nd. liners. I'm not suggesting they are, anymore than suggesting that Bunting is a 1st. liner.

Jarnkrok is a right shot, but from reports plays any forward position but is most effective as a winger. Production is much better on the wing, and seems to dry up at center.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I am glad to hear he is working on quickness, though any gains he makes through hard work might just offset the loss of quickness that comes from age. Though if he is work means he doesn't get slower, then that's a plus.

It is also interesting to note that he didn't have a full off season to work out last year with injury and recovery.

I also agree that he is a key for us this year and I really think we need to put Marner back with him. They have chemistry, JT can score and MM can feed (and score). Mitch is strong defensively and it is time for him to carry a line. I see Robertson as tbe third that line.

I am sure AM, Bunting and Nylander will get along just fine.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
I am glad to hear he is working on quickness, though any gains he makes through hard work might just offset the loss of quickness that comes from age. Though if he is work means he doesn't get slower, then that's a plus.

It is also interesting to note that he didn't have a full off season to work out last year with injury and recovery.

I also agree that he is a key for us this year and I really think we need to put Marner back with him. They have chemistry, JT can score and MM can feed (and score). Mitch is strong defensively and it is time for him to carry a line. I see Robertson as tbe third that line.

I am sure AM, Bunting and Nylander will get along just fine.
The chemistry between marner and tavares is over-rated. In his big season with us he was an elite puck hunter knew exactly where the puck would end up when marner carried it. He was so good that he didn't need marner to finish the play sometimes. If Marner lost the puck he knew where the puck would end up and got it anyways.

JT and Nylander potential ceiling is way higher since they both have strong legs and can cycle it in short distances together and then crash the net together which they did before covid ruined everything.

I forgot to add both JT and Nylander shoot harder than Marner too and can go 40/40 together. Not knocking marners shot just showing all the ways jt and nylander mesh

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
He was concussed last offseason. It was a miracle he started on time imo.

Reactions: therealkoho

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

But it will be interesting to see if he does come to camp a few pounds lighter if that will make a difference.

Kadri had a career year last year, and they are the same age, so who knows what sort of change can happen for players exiting their prime.

Rather than Tavares, perhaps the biggest impact on that line might be who is going to be player #3?

I've seen a few mention Engvall, not sure that is a fit, but heck we didn't know 26 year old Bunting last year would be a fit for the 1st. line. Bunting will be 27 for this season, and Engvall will be 26 this season. Engvall can get to the puck quickly, and he has time and space, so the question is whether he can maneuver within that envelope rather than rushing it. Can he use that time and space and utilize his linemates?

Douglas-Tavares-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Nylander

Oh, I know the argument, those guys aren't 2nd. liners. I'm not suggesting they are, anymore than suggesting that Bunting is a 1st. liner.

Jarnkrok is a right shot, but from reports plays any forward position but is most effective as a winger. Production is much better on the wing, and seems to dry up at center.
Stamkos is a year older and is still doing OK.

Reactions: ULF_55

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Tavares is still good but he needs a driver on his line at this stage of his career. Nylander isn't that. Which is why the 2nd line struggled last season

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Even to the naked eye, one could tell Tavares has lost a step and was noticeably sluggish in his stating and play.

Now JT was never a speedster to start with and has worked on his skating in the past.

I think his concussion played a big part without the ability to put in time last year, and JT has always been a very serious and dedicated player and so him putting in extra effort this summer knowing and realizing his situation and play last year is no surprise,

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
The chemistry between marner and tavares is over-rated. In his big season with us he was an elite puck hunter knew exactly where the puck would end up when marner carried it. He was so good that he didn't need marner to finish the play sometimes. If Marner lost the puck he knew where the puck would end up and got it anyways.

JT and Nylander potential ceiling is way higher since they both have strong legs and can cycle it in short distances together and then crash the net together which they did before covid ruined everything.

I forgot to add both JT and Nylander shoot harder than Marner too and can go 40/40 together. Not knocking marners shot just showing all the ways jt and nylander mesh
I see, so a twosome that has proven to work in the past and allows us to split up our two best forwards across two lines won't work as well as one that has two years of mediocre to disappointing results because Tavares and Nylander both have strong legs? Mmmm..ok

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Tavares is still good but he needs a driver on his line at this stage of his career. Nylander isn't that. Which is why the 2nd line struggled last season
Nylander isn't a play driver??? We aren't watching the same player

They just don't mesh well together. Tavares is essentially a skilled grinder while Willy isn't really one to go battle in the corners all game long

Reactions: Mad hatter

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Nylander isn't a play driver??? We aren't watching the same player

They just don't mesh well together. Tavares is essentially a skilled grinder while Willy isn't really one to go battle in the corners all game long
yeah when i say drive the line it means carry it and create chances. nylander doesnt do that and tavares needs a guy like that. the fit isnt there for me. both are individually good though

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I mean I’ll believe it when I see it, but nonetheless positive to hear he’s focusing on it.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I don't know if Long Island had the resources that the Leafs do.

But what most keep forgetting is that he was coming off a very serious concussion, which slows processing until the brain has a chance to fully heal. But that also made any real training last summer impossible.

I fully expect to see a quicker processing Tavares after a year past his concussion. He will be better from that alone IMO.

Reactions: deprw

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Douglas-Tavares-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Nylander

Why are you including me in your self-dialog about the line combos?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad