Speculation: A minor shake-up trade

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Shake up trades are to get the team playing better. Hextall is trying to get a dynasty built, that's the goal, if any trades are made, its to be a better built team in 2016/2017/2018

Would rather just have the team stink, trade off non-core assets for picks and continue the re-build.

Correct. I'm not sure why this is so hard for people to grasp.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I vote no to the Lupul deal.

All our deals need to have the future team being the main oiece to improve. This deal helps us now, but hurts us long term.

With Marti and Hagg coming back off of injury, that gives us our depth back in the AHL. Once we know the status of Medvedev, then Schenn can be moved.

Schenn will likely be the 1st move we make.

Then I will patiently wait for Luke to get traded and just hope the team magically improves. :pout:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think this trade would have happened had the Flyers not (a) had expectations that year and (b) weren't getting out of Talbot's contract

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I agree with LoD91 that Hextall's mantra of this team being a playoff team is not just bluster to fool the fans. I think he expects to them to at least be competitive, and he already fired a coach who couldn't manage to accomplish that. The new coach is safe for a while, so the only thing left for him is a trade or demoting another veteran and promoting a young player from the Phantoms.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There's nothing that I see going down that would be similar to a Talbot for Downie swap. A shakeup I think is a possibility, but I think it would be something bigger. Closest thing to a Talbot for Downie I think would be Read for someone. Umberger, VL, or AMac would be nice but I don't see happening.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I agree with LoD91 that Hextall's mantra of this team being a playoff team is not just bluster to fool the fans. I think he expects to them to at least be competitive, and he already fired a coach who couldn't manage to accomplish that. The new coach is safe for a while, so the only thing left for him is a trade or demoting another veteran and promoting a young player from the Phantoms.

I think he expects us to be competitive...if everyone was playing well and we were ok with injuries. So far, neither has happened.

I am sure he expected Jake and Raffl to at least 1 goal by now.
I am sure he expected our PP to contribute.
I am sure he expected 9 of our forwards COMBINED to outscore Dale Weise.
I am sure he expected Vinny to be benched the whole year.

But that has not happened. Things have happened that he has no control over and others that make no sense(Raffl and Jake).

But rest assured. He KNEW we were bad defensively last year. We replaced Coburn, Grossmann and MacDonald with Medvedev, Gudas and Manning. We got worse, not better. Add that to Streit being another year older, inconsistent Schenn being inconsistent Schenn and Schultz decline and yeah, it should be obvious.

Mason kept us in games last year. Neuvirth has as well this year.

Just think, we are at/near the top of Shots/game. (at work...won't open for me). Does it FEEL like we are? Does it pass the eye test that we are getting more chances than our opponents? Are we dominating them like Edmonton did to us?

HELL NO! Why? Because a ton of our shots come from guys like Simmonds with his back to the net, near the boards and spinning wildly hoping the pass/shot finds someone. Watching other teams streak down the ice with crisp passing and then hitting a trailing Dman for an excellent shot is foreign to us.

I said it before, when Gagner and MDZ impressess us with their offense, that's an issue. It just shows how lunchbucket our group is. Yes they can get points at times, but right now, only G is a threat when he has the puck. No one else make dmen back off. Our goals are from scrums and rebounds. Kudos for White last night for taking a slap shot when he had a scoring chance. When was the last 1-time goal we had that did not have G involved?

Anyways, sorry for the rant. Certainly not directed toward you, just how our team is.

Hextall is certainly handcuffed by Holmgren. But he also did a few things. He DID sell low on Hartnell. That's on him. He also signed Medvedev as a UFA. If he didn't and MacDonald was playing with us, would we be so different? That saves us $2.1 million and all the sudden we are not so stuck cap wise.

But in the end, it doesn't matter because his moves are made for next year in mind, not this year. And I am ok with that. Sell all you can except the few core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad