Speculation: A Look Back at Round 1: 2010 NHL Entry Draft

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
It has been 4+ years since the actual draft, so we're seeing a lot players start to bloom and have success. This draft was such a pivotal point in our history and the Dale Tallon Era. So, based our needs at the time, what we gained or what we could have gained from this round I'd like to hear what grade you would give Dale and why? Also, whether you have been disappointed, overjoyed or have just neutral feelings towards this round.

FcgvOCj.jpg

Dale's selections:

Erik Gudbranson, #3 overall
Nick Bjugstad, #19 overall
Quinton Howden, #25 overall

Total game played: 375
Total points produced: 43 goals, 57 assists, 100 points

At this point in time: Jan. 23, 2015

Last edited:

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
Bjugstad was a great get at 19. I love Guds and all but there are a few people I would rather have at #3. Was never really worried about Howden until you just made me realize that it is going on 5 years since he was drafted and still has only been passed by players like Grimaldi/Trocheck. Probably would've been a good year to trade down from 3 but hindsight is 20/20.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
No draft will ever be perfect. I think Dale did well in a relatively weak draft after #2.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
IIRC there were some that didn't care for the Howden pick at the time of the selection.

Now, it looks like we missed out on some better prospects/players but I'm willing to give Howden a full season up in the NHL.

He looked really good last year, all things considered, and it looks like he has the Panthers injury bug down in SA this year.

Hard to be called up when you're injured.

As for #3, it has been looking like a better pick in the past couple of years. He was a raw prospect, and I'm glad he's progressing at a good rate.

I was surprised that Fowler fell so far. Ducks got lucky.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Howden also had a major concussion in jrs after he was drafted IIRC. So there is some damaged goods beyond the pick itself. I still think he will be a factor on the main club.

Bjugs was a great pick and has developed very well.

Never liked Guds with #3. Sure he had looked better this year but I don't think he'll ever top 20 pts a season.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I think Dale gets off way too easy when it comes to the #3 overall pick. I know it was clear that we were in need of every position on the ice at the time. What I'm constantly wondering is why Johansen wasn't on our radar. His production in junior was very solid before the time of the draft. Was there something about him that spooked some scouts like attitude, etc? I know Dale went with the whole character thing, but I think we allowed too many great hypothetical situations to slip away from us.

If we missed on #19, then boy we would be in trouble. Bjugstad is great, but I would've rather Dale gambled with a center at #3. Gudbranson isn't a special player and that's the bottom line. Imo, you can find a tall, rugged defenseman in the lower rounds. Look at a guy like Petrovic. I wonder why we haven't seen a full season from him yet. He could probably play the same role as Guddy. Maybe not as good as Guddy does it, but that particular role isn't that critical. As long as you don't suck as much as Bryan Allen, you can get by.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Hindsight is 20/20 but man could you imagine the team with ryan johansen over guds. I Like Guds FWIW. He's developing into a dependable 2nd pairing defensemen with a future C title.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Looking back at it, I think Gudbranson was picked slightly too high. Although he is starting to develop into that stay at home defenseman. Bjugstad was a great pick up at 19 though.

Brock Nelson was probably the miss after Howden.

And maybe Johansen does have attitude issues. I mean his contract situation was hardly great over the summer. Still we can't really draw any conclusions from just that.

And it is one thing to say we should have done this, should have done that, and be over critical. But look who Dallas, the Rags, LA, Nashville, Phoenix and Colorado chose in the first round!

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Just noticed that Phoenix had two picks in the first round and neither have done anything!

When I look at the 1st round overall for us, we got a top 2 centre, a potential 3rd line winger, and a 2nd pairing Dman who has captain potential. Sure, it could have been better, but it could have been a lot worse!

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I think Dale gets off way too easy when it comes to the #3 overall pick. I know it was clear that we were in need of every position on the ice at the time. What I'm constantly wondering is why Johansen wasn't on our radar. His production in junior was very solid before the time of the draft. Was there something about him that spooked some scouts like attitude, etc? I know Dale went with the whole character thing, but I think we allowed too many great hypothetical situations to slip away from us.

If we missed on #19, then boy we would be in trouble. Bjugstad is great, but I would've rather Dale gambled with a center at #3. Gudbranson isn't a special player and that's the bottom line. Imo, you can find a tall, rugged defenseman in the lower rounds. Look at a guy like Petrovic. I wonder why we haven't seen a full season from him yet. He could probably play the same role as Guddy. Maybe not as good as Guddy does it, but that particular role isn't that critical. As long as you don't suck as much as Bryan Allen, you can get by.

I think Dale wanted to give a new attitude to the team. I think he wanted to build a big mean team, Gudbranson was a good start. The Panthers were lightweight team with little talent. Gudbranson didn't develop well at all though. It was a bad pick at number 3.

I really didn't want Howden, back then I wanted Tinordi, but he was picked a bit earlier. I wanted Kuznetsov, then again, I always want to draft Russians because most of them slide and offer great value.

It was not a good draft at all if with 5 of the first 36 picks in a draft, all we can get is a #4-5th dman, #2 center, maybe a 3rd line winger, maybe a 4th line winger and a #6-7th dman.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I wanted Skinner and to this day I'm still disappointed he wasn't drafted at 3.

Same thing for me and Tarasenko. It killed me to hear that Dale traded #15 for a couple lower 1st round selections. I was devastated. We had a shot with the #15. I wanted Tarasenko and I just knew he was a legit package of skills. Oh well. I guess our scouts had a better thought process in mind. Still to this day I do not understand, but anyway moving on..

CoolburnIsGone

It looks a lot worse when you include Round 2 as well. He took Mcfarland at #33, Petrovic at #36, and Brickely at #50 (also traded down from #59, losing out on Zucker). Imagination if this was our draft:

#3 - Johansen
#19 - Bjugstad
#26 - Coyle
#33 - Faulk
#36 - Merrill
#50 - Jarnkrok
#59 - Zucker

By that we would have 2 top 6 centers with size, 2 top 6 RWs, 2 top 4 d-men and a 3rd line C right now. Yeah yeah yeah, highsight 20/20 but still it shows huge misses in drafting.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Same thing for me and Tarasenko. It killed me to hear that Dale traded #15 for a couple lower 1st round selections. I was devastated. We had a shot with the #15. I wanted Tarasenko and I just knew he was a legit package of skills. Oh well. I guess our scouts had a better thought process in mind. Still to this day I do not understand, but anyway moving on..

Seemed like the 2010 draft Tallon's goal was to draft big players, with potential.

Gudbranson was really raw, but had the potential to be a physical shutdown defenseman who has a rocket shot. It's still to be determined if he can develop an offensive game, like Garrison was able to do here.

Bjugstad seemed like the perfect guy for Tallon to draft at 19. Big center with offensive potential.

With Tarasenko, I was surprised too that he dropped that far. I guess some scouts/GMs believed that there could of been an issue with him possibly never coming over/bailing if it didn't work out right away with him?

Jan 19, 2006
I remember the Russian factor was huge with Tarasenko, so I can't really blame our scouts for not taking a risk there. They weren't the only ones who shied away.

Gudbranson was the consensus #3 player in that draft. Tallon and the scouts made the "safe pick" - good kid, big body, enough skills that you know he'll play in the NHL and produce.

Based on where the franchise was in it's rebuild I think they felt they needed to go with the pick that had the smallest bust potential rather than the one with the biggest upside.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
While I would rather have Skinner than Guddy, I'm not too upset about the pick as I see who else was drafted. Tallon was trying to build a new identity for the team's future and Erik was a great start. While he's still developing and learning more as time goes on, his leadership is uncommon in most players so young. I think he'll end up being a respectable defenseman and leader on this team for a long time.

I have no complaints at all about choosing Bjugstad. Taranseko would have been nice as well, but Tallon isn't known to go with Europeans often.

Howden could be a good 3rd or 4th liner in the future when he becomes healthy. I would have rather had Coyle or maybe Kuznetsov, but I don't think it was a bad pick.

Overall, while I don't think Tallon did amazing in this draft, he could have done a hell of a lot worse.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Bjugstad was a great get at 19. I love Guds and all but there are a few people I would rather have at #3. Was never really worried about Howden until you just made me realize that it is going on 5 years since he was drafted and still has only been passed by players like Grimaldi/Trocheck. Probably would've been a good year to trade down from 3 but hindsight is 20/20.
He's had injury troubles. When you consider their whole game and not just offensive potential, Howden is still ahead of those two.

His effort level was very poor prior to last season. IIRC he got benched in the AHL playoffs.

When I look at the 1st round overall for us, we got a top 2 centre, a potential 3rd line winger, and a 2nd pairing Dman who has captain potential. Sure, it could have been better, but it could have been a lot worse!
This is pretty much how I feel too.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Q deserves a shot at a full NHL season. I love his speed and it's a great asset to a slow as molasses team like us. I'd like to see a Trocheck-Grimaldi-Q line sooner than later.

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
Wow, that was actually an insane draft. The 2003 draft was the best I've seen, but this one is pretty amazing. It made news when the entire 2003 1st round class played in the NHL, but here we are just 5 years later and all but 2 players have already played in the league.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I don't think people are correct to assume, if we picked so-and-so that their current performance level today would have translated into the same on panthers.

Also, I disagree that Guds is that much of a bust. His game still needs work but I think Ekblad's presence will help bring out both the competitive juices and the learning capabilities. Great players tend to have that effect on a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad