A letter to the NHLPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevil

Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
i know it will fall on deaf ears, but i felt that if we all started to roar someone might hear us.. so the following is a copy of the letter i sent to sportsnet, tsn and the NHLPA.
On behalf of the millions of hockey supporters out there I felt it necessary to post comment. If the entire season is lost the fan support will never be the same and the dollars the NHLPA is holding out for will not be there to recieve. At one point in time the money in the playoffs was greater than that in the season and players were dedicated to winning and thus making more money. Now it seems that they want the money before they even lace a skate. Wether or not the owners created this mess is redundant I would love to see my co workers sit down and tell the owner here at work that you make to much and We want more of the pie. I have a feeling that the executives of the NHLPA are the only ones that would reject this offer, for the executives are the players who stand to lose the most. I wonder what guys on the third and fourth lines have to say about it. I have been following all of the preceedings to a great extent and have ties to some players and executives. Before you cancel the season I think the entire player base should vote on the latest proposal. As a Canadian and a Fan of hockey, one who lives it I can only hope that this gets resolved and that the fan base can over see the greed demonstrated by the executive of the NHLPA. The best thing that could happen in the eyes of many fans is to see the league fold and send all you skilled hockey players into the work force and get a job with your great skills and assets, wouldnt that be a great reality TV show, Following a multi-million dollar player into the factory and see how he lives off 14 bucks an hour.

Good luck with that.

sevil
and yes i posted my name addy and phone number on the letter to the before mentioned sites.

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
sevil said:
i know it will fall on deaf ears, but i felt that if we all started to roar someone might hear us.. so the following is a copy of the letter i sent to sportsnet, tsn and the NHLPA.
On behalf of the millions of hockey supporters out there I felt it necessary to post comment. If the entire season is lost the fan support will never be the same and the dollars the NHLPA is holding out for will not be there to recieve. At one point in time the money in the playoffs was greater than that in the season and players were dedicated to winning and thus making more money. Now it seems that they want the money before they even lace a skate. Wether or not the owners created this mess is redundant I would love to see my co workers sit down and tell the owner here at work that you make to much and We want more of the pie. I have a feeling that the executives of the NHLPA are the only ones that would reject this offer, for the executives are the players who stand to lose the most. I wonder what guys on the third and fourth lines have to say about it. I have been following all of the preceedings to a great extent and have ties to some players and executives. Before you cancel the season I think the entire player base should vote on the latest proposal. As a Canadian and a Fan of hockey, one who lives it I can only hope that this gets resolved and that the fan base can over see the greed demonstrated by the executive of the NHLPA. The best thing that could happen in the eyes of many fans is to see the league fold and send all you skilled hockey players into the work force and get a job with your great skills and assets, wouldnt that be a great reality TV show, Following a multi-million dollar player into the factory and see how he lives off 14 bucks an hour.

Good luck with that.

sevil
and yes i posted my name addy and phone number on the letter to the before mentioned sites.

On behalf of the millions of hockey supporters, I would say disagree with your view. It is quite obvious you have no idea the commitment it takes to be a professional athlete and the perminent disabilities players face once retiring. This is no way any disrespect to the 14 dollar an hour factory worker, but the 2 don't compare at all, as I know, I work in a factory, for 30 years. I respect the pro-athlete, or doctors, or any other entertainers who demand a big dollar for their services. Does Tiger Woods deserve 20 million dollars a year to play second fiddle to Vejay Singh, the list goes on, but if the market will pay it, so be it. The players have admitted with the offer of 24% of their salaries, what have the owners offered the Fans. Hey, the owners got themselves into this mess, let them bail themselves out.

sevil

Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
its funny, because i am actually see both sides of it. I work in a factory and have for 13 years. I am also a pro athlete, i compete on the long drive tour. I am starting to make money at it and i work my as s off to get it. tiger woods i feel is a bad comparison, jagr gets money for being lazy, a golfer has to win to get the goods. miss every cut on the pga and you make nothing. I agree the owners made the mess but they have all rights to fix it...they own the team...if all the owners said privately thats it, we are not paying anyone more than 2 million a year than so be it..if the players dont like it they can stay in europe.
the top 3 doctors in the world combined dont make what yashin does in a year. bush and his top 7 advisors dont make what theodore makes a year. the entire 700 staff at boeng canada dont make what the 18 players are paid in toronto..to think the players have a right to it...is horse sh it.
sevil

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The PA have been brainwashed, and that's a sad story... you cannot convince these guys that they should play for a controlled cost environment, they are just too thick...and they think that is what makes them special... :shakehead

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
if you honestly think any of these hockey players are really "lazy" you're a fool. every one of them is probably in better shape than anyone that posts on this message board. they've all spent almost their entire lives on hockey, developing and honing their skills to exclusion of most other things

no they shouldn't make as much money as they have been making, but it's not like they haven't acknowledged that.

sevil

Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
i would never question their ability..but you think guys like jagr, yashin, ribiero, ron hainsey, daigle, nedved, kovalev show up every night and give 100% heck jagr admitted once he only went hard in pittsbugh some nights when he felt it meant something.
and hundreds of jobs lost,, in ottawa marshy's is closed,all the people who work in the concessions, parking attendants, janitors, and surrounding restaurants and hotels....

they cant see the forest..

sevil

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Mighty Duck said:
On behalf of the millions of hockey supporters, I would say disagree with your view. It is quite obvious you have no idea the commitment it takes to be a professional athlete and the perminent disabilities players face once retiring. This is no way any disrespect to the 14 dollar an hour factory worker, but the 2 don't compare at all, as I know, I work in a factory, for 30 years. I respect the pro-athlete, or doctors, or any other entertainers who demand a big dollar for their services. Does Tiger Woods deserve 20 million dollars a year to play second fiddle to Vejay Singh, the list goes on, but if the market will pay it, so be it. The players have admitted with the offer of 24% of their salaries, what have the owners offered the Fans. Hey, the owners got themselves into this mess, let them bail themselves out.

Man your head is lodge up you rear there buddy. These guys are making an average of $1.8 million dollars to play a GAME. I play the same game and I train pretty hard as well and i do it for nothing. I currently have a completly torn acl and i will have problems with my knee for the rest of my life but i will continue to play because i love the game. I even pay hefty fees to play and yet these poor bastages can't get by on $1.3 million. Sure They get injured and have some recurring health issues, but they get to retire at the age of 40 so i guess there is compenstion there if you have health issues.

I really wonder why these guys don't see the light here. The owners current proposal with the profit sharing lets the owners have a cap while letting the players in on any huge profits the teams may be making if they do well. What is wrong with that?

Myself I see the players as selfish immature whining losers. I will never buy any item endorsed by a player from this point forward so that at least i can let my voice be heard on their endorsements. The players keep saying teh owners caused this problem, but the truth is the players have been holding the owners hostage with holdout and their super inflationary website. I have heard so many stupid players coments ont he lockout that if it were up to me i would like to see the owners ride this to the ends of the earth to make sure they get the deal they are asking for or just blow up the whole thing and start from scratch.

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
Why does everyone feel the reason they hate the NHLPA or NHL owners/management deserves its own thread :dunno:
There must be close to 100 "i hate NHLPA because" threads already you could have stuck this in.

How about 1 sticky for pro-owners and 1 for pro-players.It would cut down on all these repeat threads that pop up multiple times a day.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Mighty Duck said:
Unfortunately if the owners “bailed themselves out†(most notably in terms of strict controls on spending) the PA would scream collusion. The league has taken ownership (pardon the pun) of the problem and have set forth proposals they believe will correct the problem (specifically linkage). The players have summarily rejected any offer containing linkage.

Both sides need to compromise, both sides need to put forth solid, realistic, and honest proposals (to date neither side has), and both sides need get off their high horses and fix the problem.

Regardless of who is or is not to blame, the league is broken on so many levels and both sides need to fix it.

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
You might have people paying attention if you actually stated the reasons. As it is your response is completely useless.

I can't be bothered to explain the self-evident: that players aren't paid 'to play a game', any more than actors are paid to 'pretend', or accountants are paid to 'add'.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
DEAR NHLPA

I'm not jealous of how much you make. I don't care how much you make. If i were you guys and my average salary was 1.8 million i would want it to be 2.8 million. You guys have skills that people only dream having. I understand you don't care about the fans. I don't care that you don't care about the fans.

SOS

People we have nothing to do with this CBA. Yes we end up getting screwed because we can't watch hockey but oh well thats life. The owners don't care about us. The players don't care about us. Sure i feel bad for the parking people and the off ice staff that got laid off but jesus they had to see this coming. We knew for years there would be a lockout. It doesn't effect any of us how much money the players make. This is there lives not ours.

"oh i would play for free" "oh i play with a torn rectum i hate you players"

It doesn't matter to them or to the owners. This is a business not the local bar league team. This lockout is about money and nothing more. It isn't about love of the game or canadian pride its about MONEY.

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
Chayos1 said:
Man your head is lodge up you rear there buddy. These guys are making an average of $1.8 million dollars to play a GAME. I play the same game and I train pretty hard as well and i do it for nothing. I currently have a completly torn acl and i will have problems with my knee for the rest of my life but i will continue to play because i love the game. I even pay hefty fees to play and yet these poor bastages can't get by on $1.3 million. Sure They get injured and have some recurring health issues, but they get to retire at the age of 40 so i guess there is compenstion there if you have health issues.

I really wonder why these guys don't see the light here. The owners current proposal with the profit sharing lets the owners have a cap while letting the players in on any huge profits the teams may be making if they do well. What is wrong with that?

Myself I see the players as selfish immature whining losers. I will never buy any item endorsed by a player from this point forward so that at least i can let my voice be heard on their endorsements. The players keep saying teh owners caused this problem, but the truth is the players have been holding the owners hostage with holdout and their super inflationary website. I have heard so many stupid players coments ont he lockout that if it were up to me i would like to see the owners ride this to the ends of the earth to make sure they get the deal they are asking for or just blow up the whole thing and start from scratch.

Funny, as the last time I had my head up my 8utt, I saw you walk by with a lap top.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Son of Steinbrenner said:
This lockout is about money and nothing more. It isn't about love of the game or canadian pride its about MONEY.

No you are actually wrong. This lockout isn't about money at all. It's about Gary Bettman vs. Bob Goodenow needing to one up the other. They don't care about the players or the game. They care about themselves and needing to be the winner and nothing more. Remove these two morons from the picture and this lockout will be solved in 2 days.

transplant99

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It is quite obvious you have no idea the commitment it takes to be a professional athlete and the perminent disabilities players face once retiring.

no one forced them to become hockey players and the "commitment and permanent disabilities" that comes with it.

Fans. Hey, the owners got themselves into this mess, let them bail themselves out.

What the hell do you think this entire lockout is about??

Holy smokes.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Other Dave said:
I can't be bothered to explain the self-evident: that players aren't paid 'to play a game', any more than actors are paid to 'pretend', or accountants are paid to 'add'.
That's exactly what they're paid to do. Notice they're not playing, so they're not getting paid.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Icey said:
No you are actually wrong. This lockout isn't about money at all. It's about Gary Bettman vs. Bob Goodenow needing to one up the other. They don't care about the players or the game. They care about themselves and needing to be the winner and nothing more. Remove these two morons from the picture and this lockout will be solved in 2 days.
That doesn't explain the braindead comments coming out of the players' mouths on a daily basis.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Other Dave said:
You're not asking for an explanation, you're looking for an argument.

That's funny, I didn't know you had access to my intentions.

What I wanted was an explanation as to why the players aren't paid to play a game. I want an explanation as to why actors aren't paid to pretend. I want an explanation as to why accountants aren't paid to add.

If I had to guess you're looking to be an ass, not looking to discuss something. Why are you even on this messageboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad