A letter to the NHLPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
That's funny, I didn't know you had access to my intentions.

It's perfectly evident in what you've written.

What I wanted was an explanation as to why the players aren't paid to play a game. I want an explanation as to why actors aren't paid to pretend. I want an explanation as to why accountants aren't paid to add.

I think you're old enough to know for yourself why this is not so. But I'll give you a hint: lots of people play hockey or make believe without getting paid. What's the difference between the folks who engage in those activities for free, and those who get paid to do so? Can you think of any reason?

Why are you even on this messageboard?

Same reason most posters are here. To voice my opinion without entertaining any debate. Why bother? How many minds have been changed since the owners shut down the NHL?

I'm tired of fans lon this board cheering this lockout on as if it were a good thing. The lockout is a *rotten* situation for fans, and the solutions I've seen proposed bode ill for the future of the sport in general and my team in particular.

If you think I'm being an ass you know what to do.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Other Dave said:
I think you're old enough to know for yourself why this is not so. But I'll give you a hint: lots of people play hockey or make believe without getting paid. What's the difference between the folks who engage in those activities for free, and those who get paid to do so? Can you think of any reason?

So it was a semantics issue as I expected all along?

They get paid to "play a game WELL?" Is that it?

Not really sure what point you were trying to make when you disagreed with the initial poster. If communicating your ideas is a goal of yours then you failed miserably in this string.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Seachd said:
That doesn't explain the braindead comments coming out of the players' mouths on a daily basis.

You would have just as many brain dead comments coming out of the owners mouth if it didn't cost them big $$$ every time they opnened their mouths. They are not allowed to speak of the lock-out the players are.

And if you believe this is about money, you are very naive.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Icey said:
You would have just as many brain dead comments coming out of the owners mouth if it didn't cost them big $$$ every time they opnened their mouths. They are not allowed to speak of the lock-out the players are.

And if you believe this is about money, you are very naive.
It's obviously about money. If you don't think it's about money, then you're forgetting the players and owners are involved.

If it wasn't about money, do you really think the players would dig in against a cap just for the sake of Goodenow's ego?

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
So it was a semantics issue as I expected all along?

They get paid to "play a game WELL?" Is that it?

Elite NHL players get paid the big bucks principally because signing them increases the value of the owners' assets, and secondarily because having more elite players increases the chances of their team winning, which translates directly to operational revenues.

I'm sorry for being curt earlier. I honestly thought this was common knowledge.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Other Dave said:
Elite NHL players get paid the big bucks principally because signing them increases the value of the owners' assets, and secondarily because having more elite players increases the chances of their team winning, which translates directly to operational revenues.

I'm sorry for being curt earlier. I honestly thought this was common knowledge.

It is.. you were right the first time, he/she's just looking to argue with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->