A Letter From Jeff Gorton

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think its this.

It's 7 for sure, could be as many as 9 which is pretty ridiculous when you think about it.

That would be my guess, I agree it's kind of uncharted territory to draft 7 1st in 3 years, just kind of confusing how it was written.

They really so far have "only" added four 1st beyond their own from 2017 to 2019.

Yet being that was the only specific part of that letter I assume the main idea there was to say look at all these picks and young assets, then tie that into an ongoing plan. Or at least that is how I am going to read it as that is what I'd like to see.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
If it was, Toronto and Buffalo wouldn’t have won 2 of the last 3 lotteries
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I think the theory included Canadian teams in addition to smaller market teams (the theory is hopefully bs anyway). Also, I know Buffalo has plenty of amazing and dedicated fans, but they don’t have that many, do they?

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
With the assets we’ve acquired since this process started and significant salary cap space, we will be aggressive in exploring every avenue to continue building our team.

Hmmm...

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I think the theory included Canadian teams in addition to smaller market teams (the theory is hopefully bs anyway). Also, I know Buffalo has plenty of amazing and dedicated fans, but they don’t have that many, do they?

2 years ago the top 3 team in the draft were.

NJ
Philly
Dallas.

I mean NJ is a clear #3 in the area, but its still the NY market.

Philly and Dallas aren't small markets either.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
That must be why the Canucks and Coyotes always do so well in draft lotteries.

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY
Is he referring to the conditional picks for 2019-20?

Or does he mean 5 1st rounders over the past two drafts, and the 2 more they have for this one? Yet that would be outside of 2018-19 and some were the Rangers own picks?
I think... but I could be wrong... that he’s talking about the 2017 draft as well as 2018 and this coming one... that’s 7 first rounders right there

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
This is a very polite way of saying if you don't like it, gfy.

I do like the communication, it does beat a covert gfy.

I don't mind the rebuild so far, I think it's going fairly well.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Buffalo always has huge ratings numbers, I think they’re one of the leading markets for playoff ratings even when the Sabres aren’t in it. Plus, I think if there was ever a perfect scenario to boost a small market team, Matthews to the Coyotes would’ve been a godsend in so many ways to that team

2 years ago the top 3 team in the draft were.

NJ
Philly
Dallas.

I mean NJ is a clear #3 in the area, but its still the NY market.

Philly and Dallas aren't small markets either.
I also remember Bettman being visibly bummed that NJ won it

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Zucc back next training camp and all are happy - I read betweeen the lines, sorry I could not resist. :DD

I meant what else are people doing in New York when it`s a Rangers game a Tuesday evening in late October next 2019-20 season?
The game itself is entertaining and you can watch live high end prospects develop and grow in MSG. I`m aware that tickets are expensive for some, but it seems that maybe too many fans consider worth of value IF they win. But if you see the game differently and we lost a game of hockey - it could be some magnificent invidual effort involved with Rangers young talents which might be worth the ticket cost value.

Anyway for me it`s like 7 hours by air to Kennedy Airport for a live game in MSG to watch hockey and I need to sleep somewhere in NY over the weekend so I need to schedule it like a vacation - long weekend in New York which I dont mind!

And there you go some thoughts before I will enjoy some playoffs hockey, and that we can see a ticket value differently in a game while we are in the process of a rebuild and drafting. :)

Last edited:

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Dude sure likes his letters.
This is a great letter that Drury ghost wrote then gave to Gorton's EA to clean up grammatically (not a good job) then approved by Gorton for release.

It's the letter I would have had ghost written if I were GM of a rebuild.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Which, if a new President comes in and fires Gorton, I will be Machinehead during AV's tenure levels of mad.

I like what El Jefe has done with this team and where he is trying to go. It takes a major set of onions to be named the GM of the Rangers and go for a rebuild.
This. I really like Gorts and I trust him fully with the rebuild. There’s not much he’s done that I’d undo. Maybe the Smith and Shatty signings but those aren’t even that bad. One of the most underrated GMs around

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Which, if a new President comes in and fires Gorton, I will be Machinehead during AV's tenure levels of mad.

I like what El Jefe has done with this team and where he is trying to go. It takes a major set of onions to be named the GM of the Rangers and go for a rebuild.
If he is fired, he leaves a public paper trail. That's what I call thinking ahead and protecting your rhymes with pass.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
You left out the best part, he starts the letter with:

"Hi"

Like it is my Grandpa writing a text to me

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
It’s pretty embarrassing considering:

1. We’re an original 6 team
2. Free agents like coming to NY for the most part
3. We’ve signed good prospects that didn’t sign with the teams that drafted them
4. We rarely, if ever, get spurned like #3^ by the prospects we draft
5. We are consistently near the top of the league in the amount of money we spend signing players, which was supposed to be a huge advantage before the salary cap
6. Henrik Lundqvist

Yea, I think it’s about time we try something different.

It's not like we were a bottom feeder either. We had a very good run recently but it just didn't translate into a cup which is really hard to do. There are many teams in this league who have never won a cup. Toronto hasn't won in 50 years, Philly in 40+. a few others 30+. It's just hard to do.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Buffalo always has huge ratings numbers, I think they’re one of the leading markets for playoff ratings even when the Sabres aren’t in it. Plus, I think if there was ever a perfect scenario to boost a small market team, Matthews to the Coyotes would’ve been a godsend in so many ways to that team

I also remember Bettman being visibly bummed that NJ won it
Gotcha. Thank you for that. I feel a bit better about our chances now.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
You don't have to agree with this process and you sure as **** don't have to think the Rangers are capable of executing it.

But you must concede this: we have one Cup in the last 80 years and this is very different from what we usually would do.
I think it’s been a long time since we were the youngest team in the entire league.

Reactions: Thirty One

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If I were the Rangers GM, I would've done the exact same thing, except I wanted MZA traded a year earlier.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Jeff was not happy with Zucc offers about a year ago and last summer - and that is obvious @Beacon. Besides his trade conditoning is still active just like the Ryan Mc. deal if Tampa somehow win the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad