A Letter From Jeff Gorton

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
With the Rangers season just concluded, we wanted to reach out to our fans to say thank you for your loyalty, and to provide our perspective on the team's progress. While it is always disappointing to not make the playoffs, we think this season had a lot of positives, particularly in player development, and we are encouraged by what we have seen.

David and the coaching staff did a terrific job over the course of the season, making us play tough, competitive hockey. He has earned tremendous respect in the locker room and throughout the NHL for the team’s consistent effort. David and his staff hold everyone equally accountable, and they have established a strong culture of hard work and physical play that resonates with both our veterans and the young guys coming up.

We will be adding even more young talent throughout what we expect to be a busy off-season. Tomorrow will be an exciting day, as the NHL holds the Draft Lottery. By all accounts, it’s going to be a deep draft, and we are going to have a top 10 pick, which we plan to make the most of. This pick adds to the 22 assets we will have acquired through the seven trades we've made over 2018-2019 – which also resulted in seven first round NHL Draft selections - the most any NHL team has had in 40 years.

On the ice, while we were pleased with our progress in certain areas, there are other areas we know we must improve. We’ve seen development from our young players, as well as some of our veterans, which remains a priority for us moving forward. With the assets we’ve acquired since this process started and significant salary cap space, we will be aggressive in exploring every avenue to continue building our team.

Obviously, we had a big change last week when Glen Sather announced his transition to advisor. The Rangers have been incredibly fortunate to have Glen over these last 19 seasons, and all of us who have been able to work with him are better for it. We will operate on a business as usual basis until a new President is named, and look forward to what’s next.

As our off-season begins, we want you to know we are moving in the right direction. We will stay consistent with our plan, while exploring all opportunities we think can improve our team. We appreciate the passion and commitment you bring to the Rangers family, and are dedicated to our long-term plan of creating the foundation for the next Stanley Cup contender.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
By all accounts, it’s going to be a deep draft, and we are going to have a top 10 pick, which we plan to make the most of. This pick adds to the 22 assets we will have acquired through the seven trades we've made over 2018-2019 – which also resulted in seven first round NHL Draft selections - the most any NHL team has had in 40 years.

Is he counting Lemieux and Strome?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
You don't have to agree with this process and you sure as **** don't have to think the Rangers are capable of executing it.

But you must concede this: we have one Cup in the last 80 years and this is very different from what we usually would do.

Which, if a new President comes in and fires Gorton, I will be Machinehead during AV's tenure levels of mad.

I like what El Jefe has done with this team and where he is trying to go. It takes a major set of onions to be named the GM of the Rangers and go for a rebuild.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
You don't have to agree with this process and you sure as **** don't have to think the Rangers are capable of executing it.

But you must concede this: we have one Cup in the last 80 years and this is very different from what we usually would do.
It’s pretty embarrassing considering:

1. We’re an original 6 team
2. Free agents like coming to NY for the most part
3. We’ve signed good prospects that didn’t sign with the teams that drafted them
4. We rarely, if ever, get spurned like #3^ by the prospects we draft
5. We are consistently near the top of the league in the amount of money we spend signing players, which was supposed to be a huge advantage before the salary cap
6. Henrik Lundqvist

Yea, I think it’s about time we try something different.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
And damn it, tomorrow can’t come soon enough. I’m shitting my pants just thinking about it. Very nerve-wracking. But I worry about the theory that the lottery is rigged in favor of smaller market teams.

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
By all accounts, it’s going to be a deep draft, and we are going to have a top 10 pick, which we plan to make the most of. This pick adds to the 22 assets we will have acquired through the seven trades we've made over 2018-2019 – which also resulted in seven first round NHL Draft selections - the most any NHL team has had in 40 years.

Is he referring to the conditional picks for 2019-20?

Or does he mean 5 1st rounders over the past two drafts, and the 2 more they have for this one? Yet that would be outside of 2018-19 and some were the Rangers own picks?

Reactions: NYR94

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The keeping it real cliff notes of what JG said

- Thanks for your dollars Ranger fans! We sucked, but if you expected us to make the playoffs you should have read the last letter I sent.

- Quinn and his staff did a great job with the shit roster that he had. The accountability that he held his players to was a refreshing change of pace from the last asshole who coached here, except for Staal who we will protect with our lives.

- We have a f*** load of goodies from all the trades we made, told ya'll we were rebuilding. Sacrifice a goat/cow/HFboarder not named @Machinehead for us tomorrow night, we need all the good vibes we can get.

-Our team f***ing sucks, but our defense realllly f***ing sucks. I mean we gave Neal Pionk top 4 minutes for most of the season. Our flexibility is multi directional as we have a ton of assets at our disposal, be that draft picks, prospects, cap space, and Chris Kreider. Now I'm probably going to stay the course and keep getting younger, but please make your deposit for season tickets now before you realize that we're probably going to suck even more next year.

- Peace out to Slats, thanks for giving me a job. To whoever we hire for this role, don't f*** with what I'm doing.

- Again, don't forget to renew your ticket plan for next year! Now let me use a bunch of fluff words to express how much I appreciate you for continuing to come to games when in reality I really think you fans are a bunch of idiots for not giving up on this organization yet.

Deuces,

Jeff Gorton.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
And damn it, tomorrow can’t come soon enough. I’m ****ting my pants just thinking about it. Very nerve-wracking. But I worry about the theory that the lottery is rigged in favor of smaller market teams.
If it was, Toronto and Buffalo wouldn’t have won 2 of the last 3 lotteries

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The keeping it real cliff notes of what JG said

- Thanks for your dollars Ranger fans! We sucked, but if you expected us to make the playoffs you should have read the last letter I sent.

- Quinn and his staff did a great job with the **** roster that he had. The accountability that he held his players to was a refreshing change of pace from the last ******* who coached here, except for Staal who we will protect with our lives.

- We have a **** load of goodies from all the trades we made, told ya'll we were rebuilding. Sacrifice a goat/cow/HFboarder not named @Machinehead for us tomorrow night, we need all the good vibes we can get.

-Our team ****ing sucks, but our defense realllly ****ing sucks. I mean we gave Neal Pionk top 4 minutes for most of the season. Our flexibility is multi directional as we have a ton of assets at our disposal, be that draft picks, prospects, cap space, and Chris Kreider. Now I'm probably going to stay the course and keep getting younger, but please make your deposit for season tickets now before you realize that we're probably going to suck even more next year.

- Peace out to Slats, thanks for giving me a job. To whoever we hire for this role, don't **** with what I'm doing.

- Again, don't forget to renew your ticket plan for next year! Now let me use a bunch of fluff words to express how much I appreciate you for continuing to come to games when in reality I really think you fans are a bunch of idiots for not giving up on this organization yet.

Deuces,

Jeff Gorton.

And the only reason you can't sacrifice me is because I already died for Aaron Judge.

You're welcome.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Is he referring to the conditional picks for 2019-20?

Or does he mean 5 1st rounders over the past two drafts, and the 2 more they have for this one? Yet that would be outside of 2018-19 and some were the Rangers own picks?

I think its this.

It's 7 for sure, could be as many as 9 which is pretty ridiculous when you think about it.

Reactions: egelband and NYR94

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Now let me use a bunch of fluff words to express how much I appreciate you for continuing to come to games when in reality I really think you fans are a bunch of idiots for not giving up on this organization yet.
That whole post was very well made, but I disagree with this part. If anything, the fans are idiots for not wanting to rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad