Injury Report: A.J. McCarron does not suffer a fracture in collarbone

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They should pick up RGIII, can't see the Ravens keeping him, right?

That really depends how much any of these teams with 1st round pick QBs trust them to at least be the backup. Do they keep another QB on the 53 man roster or risk leaving a 3rd QB on the practice squad to potentially be plucked away by another team.

Really comes down to expectations for the season. If you're the Browns/Jets, I don't think they expect to make the playoffs, so they're likely to want to get these young QBs some starts at least around the half way point in the season. So, I don't see them keeping any veteran QB on their 53 man roster.

Browns - definitely see them having Baker as the Backup. Try to sneak Kessler onto the practice roster.
Jets - what will they do with Bridgewater? I think they try to move him if they get out of the pre-season healthy and take advantage of any injuries to other QBs around the league. Recoup a draft pick (3rd to 5th) since they dealt their 2nd rounder in the 2019 draft away to secure the Darnold pick.
Bills - I think they could have gotten away with putting Peterman on the practice squad.
Cardinals - With the oft injured Bradford, I could see them having their 3rd QB on the 53 man roster. NFC is tough. With the Rams the favourite to win the West, I'm not sure the Cardinals are good enough to grab a WC spot with the strength of the South and East, and GB with a healthy Rodgers to contend in the North. If Bradford goes down in September, I think they will hand the ball to Rosen, even if it's just for 1 game.
Ravens - I think of all the teams that took a QB in round 1, the Ravens see themselves as a playoff team. So, if anything happens to Flacco for 2-4 weeks, they would want to be able to count on the backup to keep them afloat at .500. Do they trust Jackson enough to do that or will they want the experience of RGIII instead? Likely see them keeping RGIII on the 53 man roster.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The bills can't go though with just the rookie and Peterman the quarterback. Do they see if they can get Bridgewater?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That really depends how much any of these teams with 1st round pick QBs trust them to at least be the backup. Do they keep another QB on the 53 man roster or risk leaving a 3rd QB on the practice squad to potentially be plucked away by another team.

Really comes down to expectations for the season. If you're the Browns/Jets, I don't think they expect to make the playoffs, so they're likely to want to get these young QBs some starts at least around the half way point in the season. So, I don't see them keeping any veteran QB on their 53 man roster.

Browns - definitely see them having Baker as the Backup. Try to sneak Kessler onto the practice roster.
Jets - what will they do with Bridgewater? I think they try to move him if they get out of the pre-season healthy and take advantage of any injuries to other QBs around the league. Recoup a draft pick (3rd to 5th) since they dealt their 2nd rounder in the 2019 draft away to secure the Darnold pick.
Bills - I think they could have gotten away with putting Peterman on the practice squad.
Cardinals - With the oft injured Bradford, I could see them having their 3rd QB on the 53 man roster. NFC is tough. With the Rams the favourite to win the West, I'm not sure the Cardinals are good enough to grab a WC spot with the strength of the South and East, and GB with a healthy Rodgers to contend in the North. If Bradford goes down in September, I think they will hand the ball to Rosen, even if it's just for 1 game.
Ravens - I think of all the teams that took a QB in round 1, the Ravens see themselves as a playoff team. So, if anything happens to Flacco for 2-4 weeks, they would want to be able to count on the backup to keep them afloat at .500. Do they trust Jackson enough to do that or will they want the experience of RGIII instead? Likely see them keeping RGIII on the 53 man roster.

Kessler is not on the Browns. Drew Stanton is their 3rd QB.

Also not sure if Nathan Peterman is practice squad eligible, not that it matters anymore.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
But they would be smart to sign a veteran QB as the #2 or 3 when the cuts come. That is unless the really like McCarron. Maybe they do.

I think it will come down to whether or not they trust Peterman. If they do then they'll just stay status quo.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Allen has looked solid through two weeks but he'd probably be better off if he sits for a bit. I'd guess they throw him out there right away now that McCarron is out.

Reactions: Daz28

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Let's be real..its preseason.
For sure, but he didn’t shit his pants. For me, the bar is pretty low for these rookie QBs. Not looking terrible is about all you can ask now. Doesn’t mean he’ll be any good when facing real competition in a few weeks.

In a league starved for quality QB play, I’m a sucker and and optimist. This is a better product when more teams have competent QBs. It’s why I’ll toss reality aside in the preseason by hoping these positive signs carry through to the regular season.

That said, I wouldn’t put a dollar of my money on Allen performing well this season. ;)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
For sure, but he didn’t **** his pants. For me, the bar is pretty low for these rookie QBs. Not looking terrible is about all you can ask now. Doesn’t mean he’ll be any good when facing real competition in a few weeks.

In a league starved for quality QB play, I’m a sucker and and optimist. This is a better product when more teams have competent QBs. It’s why I’ll toss reality aside in the preseason by hoping these positive signs carry through to the regular season.

That said, I wouldn’t put a dollar of my money on Allen performing well this season. ;)

I think Baker is probably the most polished which isn't all that surprising since he's almost 24. Rosen seems to be the only one that is going to start for sure.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think Baker is probably the most polished which isn't all that surprising since he's almost 24. Rosen seems to be the only one that is going to start for sure.

I think something would have to go very wrong for Darnold in the third preseason game for him not to start. Teddy has been their best QB in the preseason but one of Darnold or McCown will likely start.

Reactions: Daz28

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think something would have to go very wrong for Darnold in the third preseason game for him not to start. Teddy has been their best QB in the preseason but one of Darnold or McCown will likely start.

I think they'll roll with McCown. Trade Bridgewater. Darnold has looked ok. Hitting a lot of short stuff.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Whats the timetable? He could be back midseason. He can go on the IR and come back these days.

Peterman is looking decent and I HATE saying that. It pissed me off that people thought he was god and should replace Taylor. I guess you never know, maybe he could be the future, not thinking that way but you can't say never, things have happened.

I would laugh my ass off though if he beat San Diego this year which randomly I was thinking about yesterday afternoon, sorry AJ maybe I forecasted your injury.

Peterman can rekease the ball quick. He also can move around. Now that they have made the playoffs and the drought is over it doesn't matter as much. The schedule is brutal so it's a total throw w\away year so i'm not against the Peterman experiment. Allen was never in the picture early on. At the same time is sitting on the bench gunna do this guy much? His arm is his game, hes not going to learn anything game influencing on the bench.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I'll reiterate Peterman is garbage. The Bills will have to have another QB. I'm sure the market is high now, because teams want a guy in for a period for sure, but the teams with 3 qbs will eventually have to make decisions. Sure, they can hoard, but good luck finding competition next time. I think the Bills can hold out longer, but how much longer? As for IR, they may as well put McCarron on the shelf(why replace a lame duck with a wounded duck). Worst case scenario, they have him in camp next summer.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I'll reiterate Peterman is garbage. The Bills will have to have another QB. I'm sure the market is high now, because teams want a guy in for a period for sure, but the teams with 3 qbs will eventually have to make decisions. Sure, they can hoard, but good luck finding competition next time. I think the Bills can hold out longer, but how much longer? As for IR, they may as well put McCarron on the shelf(why replace a lame duck with a wounded duck). Worst case scenario, they have him in camp next summer.

I actually can see talent in Peterman. That TD in the blizzard last year was a sick throw given the conditions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad