Confirmed with Link: A.J. Greer traded to NYI for D Kyle Burroughs

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Can I get some information on Greer, please?
He's a (sometimes overly) physical forward who's a decent scorer at the AHL level, but didn't accomplish much in his NHL call ups. Taking penalties was a death sentence for his chances in the NHL under Bednar. It's possible that he can find a 4th line role with NYI under Trotz but he needs to clean up the penalties.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Good luck to Greer. He needed a change of scenery like Zadorov, as neither guy was gonna fit into what Bednar wanted. Bednar was overly concerned with penalties from both IMO, so they couldn't really play their game.

Glad they were able to make another prospect switch.

Reactions: MarkT

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Good luck to Greer. He needed a change of scenery like Zadorov, as neither guy was gonna fit into what Bednar wanted. Bednar was overly concerned with penalties from both IMO, so they couldn't really play their game.

Glad they were able to make another prospect switch.

As far as AJG goes, penalties weren't the problem with Zadorov at the end there. He actually cleaned that part of his game up a great deal. His continued inconsistency and glaringly bad defensive zone/PK defense is what did him in, and will continue to do so anywhere he goes in the NHL.

I don't agree that penalties were "part of his game." He was allowed to play his physical, in-your-face game, he just took insanely dumb penalties. Trying to start a fight with Blake Wheeler behind the play when your team is down, or shoving your hand into another player's face right when the ref is watching isn't being "tough," that's just being dumb as f***. Experienced "tough guys" and pests know how to skirt the rules better than that.

Greer and Zadorov just aren't that good. That's it. AJ will enjoy a decent career in the minors as an Alex Killorn-type secondary scorer with an edge...but at the NHL level he's a 12/13th forward at best.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
As far as AJG goes, penalties weren't the problem with Zadorov at the end there. He actually cleaned that part of his game up a great deal. His continued inconsistency and glaringly bad defensive zone/PK defense is what did him in, and will continue to do so anywhere he goes in the NHL.

I don't agree that penalties were "part of his game." He was allowed to play his physical, in-your-face game, he just took insanely dumb penalties. Trying to start a fight with Blake Wheeler behind the play when your team is down, or shoving your hand into another player's face right when the ref is watching isn't being "tough," that's just being dumb as f***. Experienced "tough guys" and pests know how to skirt the rules better than that.

Greer and Zadorov just aren't that good. That's it. AJ will enjoy a decent career in the minors as an Alex Killorn-type secondary scorer with an edge...but at the NHL level he's a 12/13th forward at best.

The penalties were an issue in the sense that Greer took a few, and Bednar was worried that he was going to keep taking them, so he tired to get Greer to change his game. Which didn't work because that's not Greer's game.

Greer got even less leash than Zadorov because Greer had only been an AHLer. He was never going to find his way into Bednar's good graces.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The penalties were an issue in the sense that Greer took a few, and Bednar was worried that he was going to keep taking them, so he tired to get Greer to change his game. Which didn't work because that's not Greer's game.

Greer got even less leash than Zadorov because Greer had only been an AHLer. He was never going to find his way into Bednar's good graces.

Again, I didn't see penalties taken because he had "too much of an edge," he was just plain stupid about it. Bednar wasn't holding him back in that regard.

Proof is in the pudding though, if he gets a callup and can't ensconce himself as an NHL grinder under Barry frickin' Trotz, then we'll know for sure that Bednar was never really the problem.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Again, I didn't see penalties taken because he had "too much of an edge," he was just plain stupid about it. Bednar wasn't holding him back in that regard.

Proof is in the pudding though, if he gets a callup and can't ensconce himself as an NHL grinder under Barry frickin' Trotz, then we'll know for sure that Bednar was never really the problem.

I wasn't trying to characterize Greer as having too much of an edge. It's more that penalties come with aggressive players like Greer, and Bednar doesn't like risking penalties.

In order for him to fit well onto a Bednar coached team, he'd have to pass up a lot more hits than he normally makes. Bednar also wants his guys only playing between the whistles. Both take away from arguably the biggest parts of Greer's game.

Without that gritty agitator aspect to his game, he'd need to provide a lot more offensively and defensively. Other teams will allow him to play the role he's better suited for.

Last edited:

Moosehead1

Nov 29, 2006
I wasn't trying to characterize Greer as having too much of an edge. It's more that penalties come with aggressive players like Greer, and Bednar doesn't like risking penalties.

In order for him to fit well onto a Bednar coached team, he'd have to pass up a lot more hits than he normally makes. Bednar also wants his guys only playing between the whistles. Both take away from arguably the biggest parts of Greer's game.

Without that gritty agitator aspect to his game, he'd need to provide a lot more offensively and defensively. Other teams will allow him to play the role he's better suited for.

I agree. But more importantly guys like Calvert have a sandpaper element to their game but can still contribute to the flow of a game with puck skills and hockey IQ. To me Greer has none of that to offer, really sort of halts any momentum at an NHL level. If he could put together some puck skills to go along with his grit he'd carve himself a nice bottom six career.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

In order for him to fit well onto a Bednar coached team, he'd have to pass up a lot more hits than he normally makes. Which takes away from one of the biggest things he brings to the table.

I mean, I could be completely wrong here, but Bednar has never really struck me as a guy who blunted his agitators/tough guys in general. But I agree that he never trusted Greer.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean, I could be completely wrong here, but Bednar has never really struck me as a guy who blunted his agitators/tough guys in general. But I agree that he never trusted Greer.

He's always preaching not to get involved in stuff after the whistle, and he doesn't like it when players like Zadorov/Greer freelance for hits, instead of staying/getting back in position.

I don't think he's opposed to hitting, but I don't think he wants guys really looking for them either.

Reactions: Pokecheque

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'm usually the last guy to give up on our prospects, but even I had given up on Greer ever being a player for us. I could still see him carving out a bottom 6 NHL career if he finds the right coach/system. Maybe that's with the Islanders, who knows? What I do know was it wasn't going to happen here.

What I really want to say is once again, marvelous GMing by Sakic and MacFarland. A lot of people here probably wouldn't have even qualified Greer. Instead we move out a player we definitely didn't want or need any more, and got back a guy who does fill a need with Alt leaving.

There's some chatter from Islanders fans on him here:
Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2020-21

Some video of him:
Get to Know Kyle Burroughs

An interview if you want to know what he looks/sounds like:

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I wonder what players Joe and Lou were discussing before settling on this minor trade. Lou thought he could send us Boychuk/Leddy at full cap or something?

I'd still be more comfortable with Cizikas as our 3C next year than Compher, but the Isles can't take back cap. Would require sending Compher to Buffalo/NJ or something like that.

Well, looks like I got my answer :nod: Was still hoping Cizikas would be a part of the deal.

Reactions: McMetal and MarkT

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Greer simply takes too many penalties. Being a bottom 6 guy, you're expected to play physical and walk the line well enough to not put the team shorthanded too much. Greer could never find that line here. He has the capability to be a bottom 6 guy in the NHL, not sure he has the mindset. Trotz will be less lenient than Bednar in this regard.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad