A huge reason as to why goalies struggle in Philly?

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I have one demand: don't allow any side to side passes, cross crease passes for one-timers, shots from within 20 feet, shot-tips from point shots, any tips or re-directions, don't allow a player to come off the boards, deke out a d-man and shoot
Can't forget breakaways.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Are you kidding me Cap. You couldn't wait for us to put up 4 goals in this game AND THEN make this thread? The HF jinx is so real.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
It totally makes sense. Of course goalies will have strengths just like any other player. Human bodies are made that way, there’s things I can do readily that much more ‘fit’ friends will struggle with, and vice versa.

Pressure puck or pass on 2v1, which side to push net front presence, what locations to shot block low, where to force shot on pk, all of these (and many many more) have huge potential impact and should affect D playing style outside of goaltender puck handling.

Reactions: 2Pair

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
life is wierd sometimes...

Montreal always had very good goaltenders, bad center...
Tampa always had crazy undrafted kids that played huge role on their team
Philly always had problem with goaltender...

pretty sure theres plenty of stuff like this that seems to be unchanged classic

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Orange sweaters. Not good for a goalie.

I'm 100% serious. I'll even go far as to say goalies should avoid bright orange pads & gloves.
That’s a legitimately good theory. Orange is as high-vis as it gets. And the better a shooter sees where the goalie is the better he sees where he isn’t.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
That’s a legitimately good theory. Orange is as high-vis as it gets. And the better a shooter sees where the goalie is the better he sees where he isn’t.

I don't think it's a coincidence that MA Fleury struggled in Pittsburgh with the bright orange pads & gloves & as soon as he went to a less conspicuous color they went to the SC Finals then won it all the following year.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that the Oilers struggled badly on the PK only at home the year they changed to bright orange sweaters for home games. This isn't rocket science, it's exactly as you stated about better recognition of where the defensive players & goalie are.

I actually predicted the Oilers PK would struggle with the full-time switch although I didn't foresee a 53% in late January & an all time worst performance.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Because their defense sucks on the regular. Think Pronger was the only Norris calibre D they had in the 2000-2020 era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad