OT - NO POLITICS A Hazy Shade of Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The sub pump finally shut off. This is the longest it has ever stayed on. The rain did a number on the landscaping. So many tiny branches, dirt and mulch in the road and on walkways. The trash and cardboard area turned into a small pond.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The only knowledge I have of Yellowknife came from Ice Road Truckers and Ice Pilots lol
Ice Pilots is sick, I know the entire Buffalo crew really well. Really, really good people.

Ice Road Truckers is a bunch of shit. They really overdramatize that stuff to a hilarious degree, haha. One of the dudes on there was arrested for nearly burning a building down.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Ice Pilots is sick, I know the entire Buffalo crew really well. Really, really good people.
I love their old planes. Did they have any damage with the fires last summer? I'm guessing they had a lot of work on their hands with their firefighting planes.

Reactions: BMC

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I love their old planes. Did they have any damage with the fires last summer? I'm guessing they had a lot of work on their hands with their firefighting planes.
I don't think they had any damage at all honestly. They're mostly stationed in Hay River (450 Km away) from Yellowknife - They really had it bad with fires down there, so all of the fleet that they keep here went south for that reason. They have a 737 now too which is their big dog. I was on one of their smaller planes when I was younger for a hockey tournament, nearly froze my bag off on the 30 minute flight, haha.

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Ice Road Truckers is a bunch of shit. They really overdramatize that stuff to a hilarious degree, haha. One of the dudes on there was arrested for nearly burning a building down.
HAHAHAHA I loved IRT. Of course everything was blown way out of proportion. The magic of TV I guess. It was painfully obvious too. A couple of the personalities on the show were just nuts though. The little angry stocky fella comes to mind.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
HAHAHAHA I loved IRT. Of course everything was blown way out of proportion. The magic of TV I guess. It was painfully obvious too. A couple of the personalities on the show were just nuts though. The little angry stocky fella comes to mind.
Art was the guy who nearly blew up the building here. He was creating concentrated cannabis or something like that. It's hilarious.

When I was working at a dealership here he brought his van in for servicing so I told him I'd pick him up the next day to come get it so he didn't have to take a cab. I showed up to pick him up at like 9 am and he was outside in his underwear having a dart like Jim Lahey. I'll never forget that moment.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Art was the guy who nearly blew up the building here. He was creating concentrated cannabis or something like that. It's hilarious.

When I was working at a dealership here he brought his van in for servicing so I told him I'd pick him up the next day to come get it so he didn't have to take a cab. I showed up to pick him up at like 9 am and he was outside in his underwear having a dart like Jim Lahey. I'll never forget that moment.
Sensational. I can paint the mental picture of this so well.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Sensational. I can paint the mental picture of this so well.
Guy is an absolute character. Super nice dude but you can tell the guy was a situation. I remember when the news came out with the headline "Former Ice Road Trucker Charged...." - I knew it was Art for sure. You could tell the guy wasn't playing with a full deck.

For what it's worth, here's what I found, lol...

I need a good redemption story for Art.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I don't think they had any damage at all honestly. They're mostly stationed in Hay River (450 Km away) from Yellowknife - They really had it bad with fires down there, so all of the fleet that they keep here went south for that reason. They have a 737 now too which is their big dog. I was on one of their smaller planes when I was younger for a hockey tournament, nearly froze my bag off on the 30 minute flight, haha.
Yeah, most of their planes are a bit lacking in the modern conveniences, I'm sure :laugh:

I'm amazed they finally got a 737, but I imagine it will be impossible to keep all their old birds going indefinitely. Parts being the biggest issue, plus scarcity of the fuel they use.

I saw the episode where they flew the Stanley Cup, that was cool

Reactions: BMC

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Harbour Grace is about 20 minutes away from where I lived!

I'm from a town of like 650 people so people there typically like the original 6 teams. Super oldschool place.

I'd say like 50% Leaf fans, 25% Montreal fans, 15% Bruins fans and then the rest sprinkled in there. I just so happen to have a father who was a big Bruins fan, so he hammered that into my head at a young age, haha.
1704922860268.png

A 150 ft. Iceberg passing through Iceberg Alley near Twillingate, Newfoundland, Canada.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
One of the most colorful human beings I ever met during my Navy career was Joe Satrapa. Callsign 'Hoser'. He was an instructor when I was going through the F-14 RAG, and his specialty was aerial gunnery and ACM. An amazing individual. After he retired, he flew firefighting airplanes....

If you watch the video below, pay close attention to his thumb on his right hand. Its actually his big toe....He used to like making home-made firearms in his spare time, and one time, the breach ruptured and mangled his index finger and thumb. He was worried that the Navy would never let him fly fighters again with a mangled thumb, so he had his toe removed and reattached to his hand. We called him 'Toeser' after that, which he did not appreciate too much.

He passed away in 2019, but he lived life to the fullest.

Last edited:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
We were on fire last summer, so that sucked.

Dry, warm, 24 hours of daylight.
sounds sick. but i would prob love living there.dry summers and cold ass winters. is it windy in winter or no wind?
you must have zero mosquitoes

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The emo game

The diplomacy video. AH MOTHERLAND

Badger badger badger badger badger MUSHROOM MUSHROOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad