OT - NO POLITICS A Hazy Shade of Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Your face must freeze off when you go out...especially if it is windy.

Do you have a garage? I would think many cars would not start up.
Nah. I'm used to this shit now.

If you plug in your vehicle, you're fine for the most part, unless you have an older rig, then it might cause some issues.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
We were on fire last summer, so that sucked.

Dry, warm, 24 hours of daylight.
I remember the fires. Was that unusual for where you are? My kid lives in Calif and gets them too. I would take a blizzard over a fire any day.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I remember the fires. Was that unusual for where you are? My kid lives in Calif and gets them too. I would take a blizzard over a fire any day.
Not unusual to have fires at all, but the extent of the fires this past summer was insane. There were like 100+ burning here in the north. We legitimately had to leave the city, 19,000 of the 21,000 people had to flee south.

Yellowknife?
Yessir!

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Not unusual to have fires at all, but the extent of the fires this past summer was insane. There were like 100+ burning here in the north. We legitimately had to leave the city, 19,000 of the 21,000 people had to flee south.

Yessir!
I remember you had to flee.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Yessir!
Very cool......I mean cold......I mean frigid.

I never managed to make it up there. Farthest north I've ever been is Whitehorse. Were you born there, or up there for work?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
How close to a major city are you? Airport? Did you grow up there?
I've been living here since I was 10, I'm 33 now. Next major city is Edmonton about 15-16 hour drive south.

Very cool......I mean cold......I mean frigid.

I never managed to make it up there. Farthest north I've ever been is Whitehorse. Were you born there, or up there for work?
Born in St. Johns, been in Yellowknife for 23 years. It's home for me and I have zero plan on leaving... Unless I win the lottery, haha

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I've been living here since I was 10, I'm 33 now. Next major city is Edmonton about 15-16 hour drive south.

Born in St. Johns, been in Yellowknife for 23 years. It's home for me and I have zero plan on leaving... Unless I win the lottery, haha
SO...Why a Bruins fan? (sorry if I asked this before).

My Grandparents (Dad's side) were from Harbor Grace Newfoundland. They moved to Halifax NS right before Dad was born and then to Cambridge MA when Dad was 8.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
SO...Why a Bruins fan? (sorry if I asked this before).

My Grandparents (Dad's side) were from Harbor Grace Newfoundland. They moved to Halifax NS right before Dad was born and then to Cambridge MA when Dad was 8.
Harbour Grace is about 20 minutes away from where I lived!

I'm from a town of like 650 people so people there typically like the original 6 teams. Super oldschool place.

I'd say like 50% Leaf fans, 25% Montreal fans, 15% Bruins fans and then the rest sprinkled in there. I just so happen to have a father who was a big Bruins fan, so he hammered that into my head at a young age, haha.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
-53 would be -63 for ya'll I believe.
That is way too damn cold. Just thinking about it makes me want to put all of my sweaters on at the same time lol.

I take it everyone has a battery trickle to plug into so they can start their cars?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Out of curiosity, what are the demographics up there? Is it primarily Inuit or more white settlers? And do young people generally stay in the area or relocate to sunnier climates for college/work?

I've always been fascinated by isolated regions like islands and extreme points.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Out of curiosity, what are the demographics up there? Is it primarily Inuit or more white settlers? And do young people generally stay in the area or relocate to sunnier climates for college/work?

I've always been fascinated by isolated regions like islands and extreme points.
A little bit of everything. Primarily white, probably around 50% then about 25% Indigenous then a mixture of everything. There are Inuit for sure, but 95% probably live in Nunavut and in the high Arctic.

Most people move here for work because the money is good, they either stay and become lifers or they get their first taste of winter and are like "Nope. See ya!"

i envy shep's lifestyle
It's a gongshow most times, man.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

It is so interesting. Nice of @Sheppy to answer all of our questions!

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Crazy to think all the snow I shoveled and all the ice melt I had to use because it was icy is all gone due to the rain. Now it's 52 degrees and sunny.

Mother nature is wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad