GDT: A Gameday Thread, featuring CGY and COL, Generic Monahan Edition.

Did you get eight hours of sleep last night?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Flames and Avs' production respective to players isn't all that different. They have four 50+ forwards (Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk), while we have three (MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog).

They have one 40 point defenseman in Giordano, while we have a 35 point defenseman in Barrie (on pace if he didn't miss 4 games).

After that, it's a big time drop off for both teams. Carl Soderberg is actually out producing Mikael Backlund. For as much as their defence gets talked about, the Flames have actually given up the third most goals of any playoff team in the West - problem is, we have given up the second most behind San Jose (who are somehow 2nd in GF in the league while not having a single forward in the top-40 in scoring).

Their goaltending isn't even that much different than ours:

Rittich has a 2.40 G.A.A. and a .921 SV% while Smith has a 3.09 G.A.A and a .886 SV%

Varlamov has a 2.80 G.A.A and a .912 SV% while Grubauer has a 3.29 G.A.A and a .895 SV%

Tkachuk is, to me, the difference maker. Yeah he plays on the top PP unit but he's on that 2nd line doing the dirty work and producing offensively. We need someone to just step up already and take over that 2nd line. Compher or Kerfoot have to start producing a bit more.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Remember when we scored 2 goals in the first 3 minutes against Calgary and then lost in OT? Or when we had a 4-1 lead and lost 6-5?

Great times. Looking forward to seeing Gaudreau leapfrog both MacKinnon and Rantanen in the scoring race tonight

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Because i have zilch confidence in our goaltending anymore i stay away from this one. Heck, to be honest i think the next time i'll watch a game (if we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot) is the Ottawa one just because it's Ottawa. It feels like no matter how good we play we find ways to lose and i can't see that changing anytime soon.

6-2 Flames with us going 0-4 on the PP, Varly only saving 22/27 (+ one EN) and 90% of the GDT screaming "PLAY FRANCOUZ FFS" in pure agony looking a little bit like him.

YbUnT6u.gif

or him

giphy.gif

to finish off like him

YW3oyA9.gif

Enjoy folks.

Last edited:

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Why the **** can't we just play Frank for one game? What do we really have to lose? We know how Varly does in western Canada. Why not try to throw a wild card in the mix? **** you, Bedz. You gonna get fired soon.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't know how well Varly will play in this game. He usually looks a little rusty his first game back, and struggles against Calgary sometimes.

Can we be honest about his numbers though? They're not great right now but they got submarined in December.

He had a 2.23 GAA and .930 save percentage in early December, then had seven games where he and the team struggled a bit. Another stretch of good play, and he could bring his numbers back up by February.

- TheHockeyNews

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I doubt it is fully Bednar's decision, and if it was, I bet he'd give Frank a shot.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Why the **** can't we just play Frank for one game? What do we really have to lose? We know how Varly does in western Canada. Why not try to throw a wild card in the mix? **** you, Bedz. You gonna get fired soon.
Makes no sense to play him ONE game. Bring him in for the long run or leave him where he is. The confidence level of our goalies isn't sky high at the moment and it wouldn't help to bring in No. 3 when you need 1&2 to be better. But i'm sure Franc will get a look if those guys continue to struggle.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Makes no sense to play him ONE game. Bring him in for the long run or leave him where he is. The confidence level of our goalies isn't sky high at the moment and it wouldn't help to bring in No. 3 when you need 1&2 to be better. But i'm sure Franc will get a look if those guys continue to struggle.

One game to start, and it shouldn't be too hard to get a few more starts with the way Varly and Grubi have been playing. Either way, the team needs something right now, and Frank could be that something if he could get a chance.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
One game to start, and it shouldn't be too hard to get a few more starts with the way Varly and Grubi have been playing. Either way, the team needs something right now, and Frank could be that something if he could get a chance.
No. Not against teams like WPG/CGY/TOR or even MTL. Those teams can score in bunches. Doesn't make sense to get him killed in his first start. Or even pulled. He needs some easier competition to start his NHL career.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
No. Not against teams like WPG/CGY/TOR or even MTL. Those teams can score in bunches. Doesn't make sense to get him killed in his first start. Or even pulled. He needs some easier competition to start his NHL career.

Unless we play the Rangers again, I don't think the road is going to get any easier. Everyone is scoring in bunches against us right now.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Unless we play the Rangers again, I don't think the road is going to get any easier. Everyone is scoring in bunches against us right now.
True but it's not all on our goalies. Landy/Rants/Cole also had major hickups yesterday. I'm all in for giving Franc a longer look but it has to be the right time. And i don't think this road trip from hell would be that.

Reactions: AvsWraith

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I doubt it is fully Bednar's decision, and if it was, I bet he'd give Frank a shot.

If that were true he would have started Francouz against NYR like he said he would. The team didn't sign Francouz just to keep him in the minors/on the bench. This is Bednar's decision.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
True but it's not all on our goalies. Landy/Rants/Cole also had major hickups yesterday. I'm all in for giving Franc a longer look but it has to be the right time. And i don't think this road trip from hell would be it.
Only the first two games here are hell. The rest of the games not so much. If things get bad tonight with Varly I would consider starting Francouz in MTL. If he can have a great game in front of that crowd then...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad