GDT: A Gameday Thread, featuring CGY and COL, Generic Monahan Edition.

Did you get eight hours of sleep last night?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I agree, but when the board is talking about Varly struggling, or pointing to his numbers, it's important to put that in context and remember he had a 2.23 GAA and .930 save percentage seven games ago.

That changed within a month while the team was also playing poorly, and it could change again in another month.

Do you have any links for this early season Vezina stuff? I don't remember seeing that. I also do not remember being impressed by our goal-tending outside of October.

It is interesting to look at his game log though. Fairly good until right after the Dallas game, and it wasn't a gradual drop.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Do you have any links for this early season Vezina stuff? I don't remember seeing that. I also do not remember being impressed by our goal-tending outside of October.

It is interesting to look at his game log though. Fairly good until right after the Dallas game, and it wasn't a gradual drop.

No just from general conversations here and among those in hockey. Obviously early season leaders don't necessarily mean it will finish the season the same way, but he was among the league leaders in save percentage early in the season and the team was piling up wins.

I've actually been looking for a site that shows the stat leaders by date, because I'm curious where Varly's save percentage stood on Dec 2nd. His .930 matches the league leading .930 from Campbell right now, but that's not a fair comparison.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Just have him and Landy stand at the goal line. Every shooter would get too distracted by all the beauty to hit the net.
Just imagine if Avs got Karlsson too...

Landy, Hank and EK? Teams will just forfeit against the Avs, because how do you play against all that beauty?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
No just from general conversations here and among those in hockey. Obviously early season leaders don't necessarily mean it will finish the season the same way, but he was among the league leaders in save percentage early in the season and the team was piling up wins.

I've actually been looking for a site that shows the stat leaders by date, because I'm curious where Varly's save percentage stood on Dec 2nd. His .930 matches the league leading .930 from Campbell right now, but that's not a fair comparison.

It was very early though. October looks good, but November is somewhat inconsistent, and then he falls off a cliff in December.

Reactions: Waingro

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008

NHL.com - Stats

Filtered to just Avs goalies, but I believe that’s the dates you were looking for.

This is probably what you’re looking for:

NHL.com - Stats

Reactions: Waingro

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
NHL.com - Stats

Filtered to just Avs goalies, but I believe that’s the dates you were looking for.

This is probably what you’re looking for:

NHL.com - Stats

Good call I forgot about that, thanks.

So for context, if you take out McElhinney (who only had 10 games) Varly was 4th in save percentage on Dec 2nd, before that seven game stretch of poor play by him and the team.

Within one point of Anderson for 3rd.

NHL.com - Stats

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Let's say Varly has a bad game tonight and Franc starts at MTL. And let's say Franc also looks shaky in his first start and gets pulled. What happens next? Francy is kind of a wildcard atm - maybe even our last straw we can pull. Right now we are not in "must win" territory so i would wait with that move. But then again it MIGHT work. Or not. Difficult situation.
Theres really no gamble in playing Francouz at this time when we have been getting sub par goaltending from the others already. We need one of the three to own the net and so far neither Grubs or Varly have shown they can own the net. Give Franc a shot to see if he can if he cant he goes to Loveland. If Francouz was some young goalie we were grooming for the #1 then I would have some issues throwing him in right now but hes not that.

Reactions: klozge

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Throwing him to the Wolves would be asking him to start against the Lightning or something. Montreal is a winnable game for our team. I wouldn't be opposed to him starting that game if Varly ****s it tonight. I don't see it happening(Francouz starting) but I wouldn't be opposed to it if those things happen. I wouldn't even consider it a panic move. A panic move would be to trade Jost or our first round pick. This team needs to play the players that are gonna give them the best chance to win. If Grubs and Varly aren't able to do it why not give Francouz a look? I see no harm in it.

I think there's an argument to made for Francouz starting against Montreal even if Varly plays well. Which he might not.

They need to see what Francouz has in the NHL, and they don't know how many opportunities there will be where it makes sense to play him against an eastern team down the stretch. Giving Varly an extra game rest after his first game back isn't a terrible idea, and Grubuaer obviously has been struggling lately.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Seats for tonight

Attachments

• 20190109_190508.jpg
    20190109_190508.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 21

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I think there's an argument to made for Francouz starting against Montreal even if Varly plays well. Which he might not.

They need to see what Francouz has in the NHL, and they don't know how many opportunities there will be where it makes sense to play him against an eastern team down the stretch. Giving Varly an extra game rest after his first game back isn't a terrible idea, and Grubuaer obviously has been struggling lately.
I was thinking the same thing. Give Francouz a start in Montreal. We always lose there for some reason anyways. This team needs a jump start, and riding a hot goalie might be it. I understand scratching varly or grubauer isn't ideal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->