A Few Words About Kevin Klein

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Stralman is a dude that's not overly physical and doesn't bring many points. It's funny because Klein is like that too, but he's not a "soft Euro". The other reason is, Stralman doesn't spend as much time in his zone, so it looks like Klein is doing better, because OMG shot blocks!

Couldn't have worded it any better.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Stralman transitions the puck so, so well from defense to offens. a lot of our D do that well, but to me Stralman is the 2nd best on the team outside of MCD. He's not as strong on the boards as Klein but hes WORLDS better at escaping scrums WITH the puck rather than just getting the puck out of the area...i think thats the biggest difference. Stralman to me is a true 2nd pairing defenseman, and i think its critical we sign him up to a 4 or 5 year deal. hes so underrated its insane.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Stralman transitions the puck so, so well from defense to offens. a lot of our D do that well, but to me Stralman is the 2nd best on the team outside of MCD. He's not as strong on the boards as Klein but hes WORLDS better at escaping scrums WITH the puck rather than just getting the puck out of the area...i think thats the biggest difference. Stralman to me is a true 2nd pairing defenseman, and i think its critical we sign him up to a 4 or 5 year deal. hes so underrated its insane.

Agreed.

I'd sign Stralman to an extension, then trade Klein elsewhere to free up 2.9 mil. Guys like McI or Allen could fill the void that Klein would leave.

It's amazing how much defensive depth this team really has when you can trade a guy like Klein due to him being expendable. He could be a solid top 4 d-man on most teams.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

I just don't see how people watching these playoff games can not appreciate how good Stralman has been. Until McD finally hit his stride post injury, which has only been 4 games now, he was easily the 2nd best defenseman on the Rangers this playoff year, behind Staal. Staal was incredible the first 2 rounds.

Stralman is criminally under rated. He is the type of defenseman the Rangers will need to have any success against the stronger puck possession teams that are left.

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
Stralman is an excellent defender able to play top four minutes. Not an overly physical player or playmaker but all other areas solid. Klein not as talented but can play top four minutes in a pinch and we have at a good cap number. Klein represents cap and roster flexibility the rangers will need due to expiring contracts. Stralman will demand more than we can afford so will most likely depart in offseason. That doesnt mean Klein sucks because people can't grasp the reality that you can't keep everyone, even a sweede.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't really understand why people insist on ******** on players like Klein and Moore like they're outright terrible, give it a rest.

They're a solid 3rd pairing, they're not terrible players. I wouldn't base my entire opinion of them or any player entirely off of fancy stats, I think you have to look at the overall picture and Klein and Moore give the Rangers a solid 3rd pairing that can take up minutes so the top four doesn't get overplayed. Both can also skate the puck out of trouble if they get some space, and also have decent passing skills. I think the reason they get into trouble at times is when they're out there against lines that can really pressure them and not give them enough time to make good plays in the defensive zone (like effective outlet passes or skating it out of trouble). Once you take away time and space from a player you are creating a clear situation that separates the top players from the rest, and that's why Klein and Moore are a 3rd pairing and not top 4.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Aside from the fact that Klein had a shaky start to the playoffs, his first couple of games in the Philly series were Meh, I think he has been fine, getting better actually. Then again I think the entire team has gotten better as the playoffs moved along. I don't know if it's the cart or the horse but Klein has been a good player, no complaints out of me. My prior post was just stating that Stralman has been damn good and wasn't a reflection on Klein.

gardenparty

Oct 21, 2011
Thank you for this well deserved thread. I've watched a lot of hockey through the years and marvel at Kevin Klein's positional play. He may join the rush or pinch the odd time, but he's seldom caught out of position. While he's neither the faster Ranger defenseman nor possesses the hardest shot, he is seldom beaten and provides a strong, steady presence at the back end, which is required this time of year.

Like many of his teammates, Klein's play has improved as the playoffs have progressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad