A Few Words About Kevin Klein

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Searched and couldn't find a thread on Kevin Klein so here we go...

He's proven to be an incredibly valuable and very steady defenseman. +8 in the playoffs. Klein's addition stabilized the back end and since the trade with Nashville, the Rangers have had better balance and much less drama. It also seems to have allowed John Moore to become more comfortable in his role.

Not to mention 4 more years at a very reasonable price.

Big win for Sather. Very underrated move.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
His possession numbers still worry me, but it's nice not feel like you're watching the 3 stooges every time our 3rd pairing was on the ice.

Vickers8

Gives us the ability to roll 6 d when AV wants to spell the top 4, valuable, reliable addition...

richardsequalscup*

At least half the games he plays in, Stralman is a bumbling idiot. Klein is very solid. He has a game or two a series where he makes a bad mistake in a game. Otherwise, he's been rock solid. He's also able to play it tough when you need him to.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
I also loved watching him carry the puck up the ice yesterday on one of his shifts...with lots of speed and confidence . If he can add that to his game...even better .:)

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Two years ago, Klein's position was being manned by Stu Bickell. Yeah, this team is somewhat deeper than the squad from two years.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
His possession numbers still worry me, but it's nice not feel like you're watching the 3 stooges every time our 3rd pairing was on the ice.

This is one of those times where the eye test proves more than his possession numbers.

I really like what Klein's brought to this team.

Vickers8

Klein is very solid. He has a game or two a series where he makes a bad mistake in a game. Otherwise, he's been rock solid. He's also able to play it tough when you need him to.

Strong and has a real nasty side which I would like to see more of, can handle himself fighting too

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
In his own words referring to himself:
"defence first kind of guy"
"take care of my own end"

He has certainly delivered on that. Watching him yesterday, I saw him a couple of times see all that ice opening up in front of him and made a nice carry into the neutral zone. I'm fine with his type of caution, it just shows his sense of what he does best, what is the top priority.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Strong and has a real nasty side which I would like to see more of, can handle himself fighting too

If Prust or White get out of control (which is a fair prediction), I wouldn't mind Klein beating the **** out of them. He fights to hurt.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
There are far less complaints about Klein than there ever was about Del Zotto, so this is just a win

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
At least half the games he plays in, Stralman is a bumbling idiot. Klein is very solid. He has a game or two a series where he makes a bad mistake in a game. Otherwise, he's been rock solid. He's also able to play it tough when you need him to.

What an exaggeration or flat out lie. Stralman is a very solid D-man that is excellent on the breakouts. One of the biggest reasons we're a good possession team. Usually when he struggles so does Staal, but no one dare say about word about him.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

I literally couldn't disagree with the first half of this post any more.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I think you are understating his value. He played 17 minutes per game during the regular season and is above 13 right now. Does not play on power play.

No doubt. Not saying he's 1st pair material, but clearly he's at least a #5 who can play regular shifts.

Vickers8

I think you are understating his value. He played 17 minutes per game during the regular season and is above 13 right now. Does not play on power play.

He has a heavy shot from the point which he should take more often

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I find that very hard to believe.

It's a big step up from a 13 MPG dman to a 20 MPG dman.

Prior to coming to the Rangers, Klein was a 20 minute a night guy

on a top 10 defensive club in Nashville

Actually, he was top three in terms of minute munching for the Preds since the 2010-11 season.

They have been one of the better defensive teams in the league.

He's not getting enough respect here.

Great 2nd pairing defenceman playing 3rd pairing minutes

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad