Sportsnet: "A few middling NHL goaltenders could be had via trade." TORONTO - luke fox

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Teams keep asking about him so I doubt he has negative value. But whatever, we'll gladly keep Allen. He's solid backup, helped develop young goalies and is character guy in dressing room and community. Good future goalie coach.

Go find a better goalie? See what it costs ya?

Neg value and a lot of talk on some teams having lots of interest don't fit on the same line.
It's amazing how people's ability to read has really gone down the drain. I never said Allen had negative value now. I said after the year he had - that was last year. He has improved since last year. So to the original comment I merely agreed his value went up from negative to positive and that he would garner a late pick back, but of course salary would be needed to go the other way to balance the cap out.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Jake Allen is seriously becoming the most overrated goalie by the media.

Every time a team struggles, the name Jake Allen gets brought up. It's fine if he's rated as a backup, but the media dubs him as a good starter.

The last time Jake Allen had good numbers was when he was in St. Louis.
He has another year left at $3.8m. I see zero reason for the leafs to pick him up for that reason alone. MTL fans are delusional. Jones has played very well, much better than Allen. What do we do when Will is back - carry 3 goalies? Makes no sense. Also next year if we run with Woll and Jones that cap allocation will be less than $2m, which frees us up to spend elsewhere.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They need to stop throwing band aids at the position. Guys like Campbell and samsonov might look like they can handle the job..... until they don't.

Now it's on to the next batch of hopefuls and I suspect they too will eventually be exposed.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He has another year left at $3.8m. I see zero reason for the leafs to pick him up for that reason alone. MTL fans are delusional. Jones has played very well, much better than Allen. What do we do when Will is back - carry 3 goalies? Makes no sense. Also next year if we run with Woll and Jones that cap allocation will be less than $2m, which frees us up to spend elsewhere.

I actually don't mind the idea of Allen. Not the best, not the worst.

Keep in mind, Woll has had a long history of injuries in his development so we don't know when he'll get hurt again once he's healthy.

Carolina has run with Andersen, Rantaa and Kocehtkov as a built in insurance policy.

Jones and Woll only make about $1.5 million combined. Woll is signed for another year. So Allen's $3.8 million isn't that expensive. If you can get some retention, that would help.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Could see a trade involving Forsberg, if the Leafs could swing it. Could probably be had for a 3rd or 4th but also TOR would likely need to move money out to make it work so I could see OTT inquiring about Liljegren or maybe a depth forward with similar value.

Soogard is ready to be a backup and Merilainen/Mandolese need to share the net in Belleville for their development.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Could see a trade involving Forsberg, if the Leafs could swing it. Could probably be had for a 3rd or 4th but also TOR would likely need to move money out to make it work so I could see OTT inquiring about Liljegren or maybe a depth forward with similar value.

Soogard is ready to be a backup and Merilainen/Mandolese need to share the net in Belleville for their development.
I think the Oilers would love to take a run at Forsberg if we could make the money work. I'm not sure how to do that though, it would need to wait until the deadline if nothing else.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I don't understand why we would be interested in Allen when we have pretty much the exact same guy in Jones for a quarter of the price.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
He had solid numbers awhile back, now not so much. Has his play dipped or is it more of an issue with the team's play dipping?
Too many old defensemen or folks with low defensive IQ playing for Detroit, currently. Seems like Yzerman is letting the future defensemen fully ripen before handing the reins over to them.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
So now Hab fans are delusional, the Media is delusional.
Why are Hab fans delusional? Were not pushing Allen to you guys. It was a Leaf fan that started this thread. Maybe you should try reading through the thread before claiming anyone is delusional .

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
So now Hab fans are delusional, the Media is delusional.

Why are Hab fans delusional? Were not pushing Allen to you guys. It was a Leaf fan that started this thread. Maybe you should try reading through the thread before claiming anyone is delusional .
You quoted my same comment twice, as if it were two different comments just so you know. Note I am agreeing with another Leaf fan who also is saying the same thing. It makes no sense to trade for Allen. I think it's delusional of Habs fans to expect no salary coming back in the deal for a relatively decent draft pick for a guy who has another year left on his contract at $3.8m. I think my comments have been fair.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I think you guys just might need reimer or husso to cure your troubles.

Don't worry about that pesky pulled groin either. Goalies always come back healthier after a nice groin pull.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You quoted my same comment twice, as if it were two different comments just so you know. Note I am agreeing with another Leaf fan who also is saying the same thing. It makes no sense to trade for Allen. I think it's delusional of Habs fans to expect no salary coming back in the deal for a relatively decent draft pick for a guy who has another year left on his contract at $3.8m. I think my comments have been fair.
Where in this thread did you read that Hab fans expect no salary coming back. I saw one Hab fan come up with something stupid.
Why are you always making up BS when it involves the Habs?

Last edited:

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Where in this thread did you read that Hab fans expect no salary coming back. I saw one Hab fan come up with something stupid.
Why are you always making up BS when it involves the Habs?
Why are you reply to me then? Why don't you police your fellow Habs fan. Jones just posted a shutout, so we can put this Leafs need to trade for a goalie nonsense to bed.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Why are you reply to me then? Why don't you police your fellow Habs fan. Jones just posted a shutout, so we can put this Leafs need to trade for a goalie nonsense to bed.
I'm replying to you because your the one MAKING UP the BS in this thread .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad