Post-Game Talk: A duul game, Skinner with the shutout*

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I was young and just as stupid on several occasions. As such, I won’t throw any darts. Hopefully this was just a time when his brain abandoned him and he’s not normally one of those super-entitled rich kids that break things because they can and dgaf.
We all have skeletons, agreed. There is some things u just don’t do.. One was picking on people with limited mental capabilities or disabled. I realize it happens but it’s a big no no where I’m from. U would get beat bad

Reactions: Ibanez and ZJuice

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
I understand the math of the "8 point swing", I've just always found it odd to talk about 4 point games and point swings when the end goal is raw points. We need 6 points to tie Vegas. So who cares about what the "swing" is? Those 2 games could get us within 2 points. That's what matters, the swing stuff is just needless and to me it's only used because media guys need things to talk about, so they talk about "4 point games" and whatnot. I just think that breaking it down like that dumbs it down more than needed by most.

Vegas would have to completely fall apart for the best case scenario to play out to me. I want Seattle in the first round. I think they're the easiest matchup for us. But as much as Vegas could be collapsing, I don't see them falling all the way to 4th.

That's fair and reasonable. I thought when you talked about a true swing you meant there was a proper definition of swing.

I don't think Vegas has to fall apart for the best case scenario to play out. I definitely think the best case is Oilers finishing second in the division and Vegas finishing third. Vegas doesn't have to fall apart for that to happen.

The Oilers almost certainly will have the tie breaker with Vegas so the Oilers just have to make up six points. Win the two Vegas games and the Oilers only need to make up two points on them. The Oilers do have an easier schedule remaining.

The Oilers went 10-2-1 in their final 13 games last season so take that as a best case. Vegas going 7-3-1 in their remaining games against non-Oiler opponents would be far from falling apart.

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
Calling something weak a p***y is kind of out of date in my opinion. I mean if you ask me they are actually very strong. Pushing out a baby. I mean we almost die pushing out abtiby kidney stone. Now testicles, those are weak. One flick and down to the ground you go. So really hould be saying man that guy really plays like a testicle.
"p***yes can take a pounding" the great Betty White

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
When Hyman is back we should go with:

Kane-McDavid-Hyman
Nuge Draisaitl-Foegele/Kostin

Yammo can play lower. Dude is struggling and good for 1 bad penalty a game.
I agree except that there should be no debate as to who gets the 2nd line spot.
Its Foegele all day.
Lately Kostin hasnt been much of a factor at all.

Foegele is ripping it up.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Absolutely.
He is playing like a 2nd version of Hyman. A pleasure to watch.
I'm curious what he "figured out" because he just looks like a different player who doesn't hesitate about what he needs to do or lacks confidence in what he can do. It's just a wonder.

Looking at the tools, I always wondered if this kind of player was in Foegele, I'm glad he's showing us it seems to be.

He reminds me of Jeff Friesen, not great hands, but all that size and speed just makes him so hard to deal with.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
I'm curious what he "figured out" because he just looks like a different player who doesn't hesitate about what he needs to do or lacks confidence in what he can do. It's just a wonder.

Looking at the tools, I always wondered if this kind of player was in Foegele, I'm glad he's showing us it seems to be.

He reminds me of Jeff Friesen, not great hands, but all that size and speed just makes him so hard to deal with.
Hyman lite at the moment. And I’m totally fine with that. He’s a menace in the o zone right now

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Played a Dallas Stars/ Minnesota Wild type of game. Got an early lead, built on it and then shut them down for the rest of it. Nice to feed them some of their own medicine. Really solid game from start to finish, with only one real burp (Wyatt Johnson coming in, defence backed up, taking a shot, then 2 or 3 swipes at it until he got the last one solidly while we looked on. A terrific looking player though). A real mature, playoff type of game.

Maybe he finally realizes that he is in that group of payers, where, if they don't go balls out every night, will soon find a spot in the pressbox. Lord knows, he's spent plenty of time in there in the past, and I'm sure he's figured out he has much more fun on the ice. Hopefully this kicks in with Kostin as well.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
A big shoutout to Nick Bjugstad as well. The octopus looks really good and seems to get better and more adjusted with each game. Hard to believe someone gave up on this guy and we now have him, but I suspect, like nearly all players, it comes down to consistency, and hopefully he can keep it up.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm going to make myself feel better about the Campbell contract by looking at it this way.
He still has stuff to prove but I'll just make believe that Skinner is the one making 5 years $25m and Campbell is making 3 years $7.8m. I don't want to hear that Skinner hasn't earned that yet or that Campbell isn't even worth 3 years $7.8. Just let me have this please. ;)

I would switch the Nurse and Ekholm contracts too (and make believe that the Nurse contract is only 3 more years) but that's a little too ambitious haha.
Actually, let me just make believe that the Nurse contract never happened. Ok, now I feel A LOT better. Nurse has been good though outside of the second Toronto game so good for him and team regardless of how we all feel about the contract.

Last edited:

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Rather choppy game, which is not the best MO for the Oilers, though it did not look it last night. Few cleanly won battles, more re-engaged battles in fact. Lot of active sticks, getting in the way of passes (Dallas doing it to stop the Oilers moving forward, Oilers doing it to break up Dallas o-zone plays). Significant amount of neutral zone time.

Having a pressure guy who can force d-men to act quicker than normal works so good with Nuge, Draisaitl and McDavid. They are all excellent at reading plays and intercepting those passes, not just intercepting but controlling the puck off those interceptions. Nuge and Drai are getting that with Foegele right now, McDavid does not currently have it with his line mates.

Real happy with Skinner just being solid and stolid. And Ekholm, I still struggle tto believe they got him.

Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Last night was an example of what this team is capable of when all four lines are engaged, working hard and moving their feet. We have 4 lines that can skate, when all of them are going that is a lot for teams to handle over 60 mins, especially when we are aggressive on the boards.

When McDavid and Leon are playing as well as they currently are individually on different lines we are borderline unbeatable. The only things that can sink us are goaltending and self inflicted wounds at that point (still a work in progress on both fronts unfortunately).

Once this team fully embraces the concept of "you're up by two goals, if you are patient and responsible the other team will make a mistake and give you the third" we can start talking about being championship calibre. I saw a glimpse of that last night which was really encouraging.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Last night was an example of what this team is capable of when all four lines are engaged, working hard and moving their feet. We have 4 lines that can skate, when all of them are going that is a lot for teams to handle over 60 mins, especially when we are aggressive on the boards.

When McDavid and Leon are playing as well as they currently are individually on different lines we are borderline unbeatable. The only things that can sink us are goaltending and self inflicted wounds at that point (still a work in progress on both fronts unfortunately).

Once this team fully embraces the concept of "you're up by two goals, if you are patient and responsible the other team will make a mistake and give you the third" we can start talking about being championship calibre. I saw a glimpse of that last night which was really encouraging.
I think Drai really is the key to them hitting the higher level. We know what we're getting from McDavid most night and the bottom 6 has been consistently, solid all season pretty much.

I don't find it to be a coincidence that the Oilers are playing their best hockey of the year once Drai woke up from his couple month nap which seems to happen most years. I don't think it was an injury ailing Drai, I think it was pacing himself a lot of the season knowing that the team is good enough to make the playoffs regardless saving some of that real energy for the stretch run and playoffs.

I said this several times about a month ago when folks were concerned about him that he will turn it up when the games get bigger like he does every year. There might be some disinterested Drai games down the stretch with the easier slate and once they get closer to clinching but I have little doubt that he'll show up when it really counts.

Last edited:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Rather choppy game, which is not the best MO for the Oilers, though it did not look it last night. Few cleanly won battles, more re-engaged battles in fact. Lot of active sticks, getting in the way of passes (Dallas doing it to stop the Oilers moving forward, Oilers doing it to break up Dallas o-zone plays). Significant amount of neutral zone time.

Having a pressure guy who can force d-men to act quicker than normal works so good with Nuge, Draisaitl and McDavid. They are all excellent at reading plays and intercepting those passes, not just intercepting but controlling the puck off those interceptions. Nuge and Drai are getting that with Foegele right now, McDavid does not currently have it with his line mates.

Real happy with Skinner just being solid and stolid. And Ekholm, I still struggle tto believe they got him.
IMO, your ability to go on extended playoff runs comes down to NZ play more than any other zone. Media focuses on DZ play till the cows come home because "you can't win without good D", and while I'm not disputing that it's important to maintain a DZ structure and not puck watch, playoffs are all going to be choppy.

Once you get into the final eight teams, everyone can pretty well execute a DZ shell/rotation and close seams, barring major brain farts or spectacular play by superstar offensive players. The best scoring chances in the playoffs are determined by NZ positioning and who wins battles in that third of the ice, we got cooked by COL last year because we constantly got into the NZ, lost a battle and then had some crazy odd-man Makar nonsense coming back into our zone causing the D to give up the blueline in panic. D cannot maintain good gaps if you get in the NZ and turn into a fire drill, so the fact that it was a choppy game is good practice for what is coming becuase those are the games we need to learn to control.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Just need to say wow what a hell of a trade Ekholm was. Think about how you feel with him on ice 5v5 compared to Barrie... night and day and brings an entire new dimension to the team. Not to mention Bouch has become twice the player since the acquisition

Not a surprise at all to me. I thought he fit the teams needs more than a Chychrun or Karlsson.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Is Scott related to Nick Bjugstad? :sarcasm:
Nick, Nick, Nick!

I'm going to make myself feel better about the Campbell contract by looking at it this way.
He still has stuff to prove but I'll just make believe that Skinner is the one making 5 years $25m and Campbell is making 3 years $7.8m. I don't want to hear that Skinner hasn't earned that yet or that Campbell isn't even worth 3 years $7.8. Just let me have this please. ;)

I would switch the Nurse and Ekholm contracts too (and make believe that the Nurse contract is only 3 more years) but that's a little too ambitious haha.
Actually, let me just make believe that the Nurse contract never happened. Ok, now I feel A LOT better. Nurse has been good though outside of the second Toronto game so good for him and team regardless of how we all feel about the contract.
I'll make believe that Yamamoto is actually not a leprechaun and that he can actually shoot the puck.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
IMO, your ability to go on extended playoff runs comes down to NZ play more than any other zone. Media focuses on DZ play till the cows come home because "you can't win without good D", and while I'm not disputing that it's important to maintain a DZ structure and not puck watch, playoffs are all going to be choppy.

Once you get into the final eight teams, everyone can pretty well execute a DZ shell/rotation and close seams, barring major brain farts or spectacular play by superstar offensive players. The best scoring chances in the playoffs are determined by NZ positioning and who wins battles in that third of the ice, we got cooked by COL last year because we constantly got into the NZ, lost a battle and then had some crazy odd-man Makar nonsense coming back into our zone causing the D to give up the blueline in panic. D cannot maintain good gaps if you get in the NZ and turn into a fire drill, so the fact that it was a choppy game is good practice for what is coming becuase those are the games we need to learn to control.

Agree with all of this and still and area that needs to be cleaned up. We need to reduce the number of passes east-west and diagonally in the neutral zone that go from wall to wall.

Last night even when we were up by two goals we still were inclined to try to fire passes from blue line to blue line, wall to wall (Nurse especially). These often lead to icings or turnovers. Need to bake into their heads that when up by multiple goals if a sure pass isn't there in the neutral zone - just dump it. Having 5 guys on the right side of the puck when we have a lead is never, ever a bad thing even if it isn't sexy.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

The bolded really encapsulates what really good teams do, and if we can get to that point consistently, the floodgates will open, as you'd have to believe that with McDavid and Draisaitl having those extra odd man mistake rushes, it will favour us more than most teams.

Reactions: Oilhawks and K1984

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad