Post-Game Talk: A duul game, Skinner with the shutout*

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
When Hyman is back we should go with:

Kane-McDavid-Hyman
Nuge Draisaitl-Foegele/Kostin

Yammo can play lower. Dude is struggling and good for 1 bad penalty a game.

Foegele has also been playing damn good hockey lately and is earning his spot in the top 6 at the moment. I’d go

Kane - McDavid - Hyman
Nuge - Drai - Foegele
Kostin - McLeod - Yamo
Janmark - Bjugstad - Ryan

I feel like Yamo and Kostin’s feistiness would be a good combination with McLeod’s speed. McLeod carries the puck up the ice and the other 2 retrieve it.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Anyone saying the Viking isn't a #1 D man, he's a #1 D man. Connor is super human and Janmark is a warrior. Skinner is a lot better than our e bug Campbell (whoever referenced that in the GDT that was hilarious) I hope Campbell is paying Stu some cash under the table!
Nurse should be paying Ekholm as well.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Just need to say wow what a hell of a trade Ekholm was. Think about how you feel with him on ice 5v5 compared to Barrie... night and day and brings an entire new dimension to the team. Not to mention Bouch has become twice the player since the acquisition

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
11-7 is our best lineup IMO. Gives the bottom six time with McDrai and keeps all of our d men fresh. I would consider doing it the rest of the year even when Hyman gets back. Rotate Shore and Ryan out.

We made up ground on Vegas. 6 points back with two games against them down the stretch.

You are forgetting we have two 4 point games against them coming up that could be an 8 point swing
Not a true 8 point swing though. It gets us 4 points closer to them if we win both, but we still have to win one more game than them on top of that to pull even in points. And with the way LA is playing, even if we catch Vegas, we still are going to be hard pressed to pass LA, as they're on the verge of overtaking Vegas anyway. Passing two teams who are 5 and 6 points up respectively, with only 13 games left, isn't going to be easy. It would be a great sign if we do though, as it would take either us going nuclear, or both of them falling into a slump.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I was actually thinking when Hyman returns, just sub out Yamo and that should adjust things nice, imo.
We might actually be able to run 3 scoring lines. Which basically means 4 scoring line, as the Ryan line is scoring regularly right now. It's a little late to tinker too much, but with Foegle finally playing like a top six winger, and Bjugstad looking like a diamond in the rough, I think we should be really confident about our lines. And that doesn't consider Holloway coming back up if he heals up well.

Kane - McDavid - Yamamoto
Nuge - Drai - Foegele
Hyman - Bjugstad - Janmark
Kostin - McLeod - Ryan

Lord is it ever nice to have forward depth.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Not a true 8 point swing though. It gets us 4 points closer to them if we win both, but we still have to win one more game than them on top of that to pull even in points. And with the way LA is playing, even if we catch Vegas, we still are going to be hard pressed to pass LA, as they're on the verge of overtaking Vegas anyway. Passing two teams who are 5 and 6 points up respectively, with only 13 games left, isn't going to be easy. It would be a great sign if we do though, as it would take either us going nuclear, or both of them falling into a slump.

I'm not really too concerned with winning the division, but would like to get 2nd place at least to get home ice in the first round.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
To me, Ekholm has had a shocking effect on that D core - more so than I could've expected.

One thing I've noticed, from just casual viewership, is that I'm not hearing Nurse's name every 7 minutes. It seems like he was always involved in some wacky offensive or defensive play, many times a game... both good and bad. It just seems now, that he's been slotted in where he belongs, playing less and expected of less.

To his credit, it's really also showing that he was doing and expected to do so much more than he should've, he must be feeling like this is easy mode now, happy for that change.

Reactions: ZJuice and 5 14 6 1

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We might actually be able to run 3 scoring lines. It's a little late to tinker too much, but with Foegle finally playing like a top six winger, and Bjugstad looking like a diamond in the rough, I think we should be really confident about our lines. And that doesn't consider Holloway coming back up if he heals up well.

Kane - McDavid - Yamamoto
Nuge - Drai - Foegele
Hyman - Bjugstad - Janmark
Kostin - McLeod - Ryan

Lord is it ever nice to have forward depth.
I don't know that Holloway plays another game for the Oilers this year. If he does I think we are in a world of hurt injury wise.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Just need to say wow what a hell of a trade Ekholm was. Think about how you feel with him on ice 5v5 compared to Barrie... night and day and brings an entire new dimension to the team. Not to mention Bouch has become twice the player since the acquisition
I missed Barrie in the O-Zone the first few games but Ekholm’s breakout passes are way better than anything I saw from Barrie.
Im definitely eating crow, I was livid about “giving up the farm” for Ekholm but now it feels like a fleecing.. I guess we’ll see in 4-5 years what Ginger Beef and that 1st end up doing

Really enjoyed the game last night.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Not a true 8 point swing though. It gets us 4 points closer to them if we win both, but we still have to win one more game than them on top of that to pull even in points.

What would be a "true" 8 point swing in your eyes? Vegas winning both those games (in regulation) means they gain 4 points on the Oilers. The Oilers winning both those games in regulation means the Oilers gain 4 points on the Oilers. 4 + 4 = 8

And with the way LA is playing, even if we catch Vegas, we still are going to be hard pressed to pass LA, as they're on the verge of overtaking Vegas anyway. Passing two teams who are 5 and 6 points up respectively, with only 13 games left, isn't going to be easy. It would be a great sign if we do though, as it would take either us going nuclear, or both of them falling into a slump.

Agreed there is basically no chance to catch both Vegas and LA, especially given they have a game against each other left. I think the best case for the Oilers would be to end up second and host Vegas in the first round.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I missed Barrie in the O-Zone the first few games but Ekholm’s breakout passes are way better than anything I saw from Barrie.
Im definitely eating crow, I was livid about “giving up the farm” for Ekholm but now it feels like a fleecing.. I guess we’ll see in 4-5 years what Ginger Beef and that 1st end up doing

Really enjoyed the game last night.
If we have a cup in 4-5 years it's a massive win. Schaefer could be a 40 goal scorer and to me we still win the trade.

Reactions: TB12 and ZJuice

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What would be a "true" 8 point swing in your eyes? Vegas winning both those games (in regulation) means they gain 4 points on the Oilers. The Oilers winning both those games in regulation means the Oilers gain 4 points on the Oilers. 4 + 4 = 8

Agreed there is basically no chance to catch both Vegas and LA, especially given they have a game against each other left. I think the best case for the Oilers would be to end up second and host Vegas in the first round.
I understand the math of the "8 point swing", I've just always found it odd to talk about 4 point games and point swings when the end goal is raw points. We need 6 points to tie Vegas. So who cares about what the "swing" is? Those 2 games could get us within 2 points. That's what matters, the swing stuff is just needless and to me it's only used because media guys need things to talk about, so they talk about "4 point games" and whatnot. I just think that breaking it down like that dumbs it down more than needed by most.

Vegas would have to completely fall apart for the best case scenario to play out to me. I want Seattle in the first round. I think they're the easiest matchup for us. But as much as Vegas could be collapsing, I don't see them falling all the way to 4th.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
We play Seattle once and Kings and Knights twice each.
If we win all 5 in reg that would should jump us to the top or near. Will be tough as we are usually playing against the Kings and the Refs. Vegas also seems to have the extra help too.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We play Seattle once and Kings and Knights twice each.
If we win all 5 in reg that would should jump us to the top or near. Will be tough as we are usually playing against the Kings and the Refs. Vegas also seems to have the extra help too.
The Kings are the real hurdle right now. They just keep winning. Every day that we win, I look to check the scores and they've won as well. I think catching Vegas could happen, especially if we beat them twice, but I just don't see LA slowing down. I think we end up with LA - Edmonton - Vegas - Seattle as the final standings if we win those two against Vegas. LA - Vegas - Edmonton - Seattle if we don't.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton

Product of mcdrai though

Nurse would be an incredible forward. It’s when he’s in our own zone that makes me really distrust him. I am sour on him defensively but his ability to drive the puck and/or be in the right position is elite.

Still waiting for Woody to use him like the Sharks used to use Burns.. OT Nurse plays like a forward anyways

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad