A Detailed Look at Why Crosby is the Undisputed MVP Winner...

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Agreed with everything except for one; I truly believe that Bergeron is a dark horse for the Pearson. I know it is a long shot (and should be given Crosby's play) but I can see a lot of NHL players voting for Bergeron and the season he is having.

That is a long shot.. Not going to happen. Some were actually questioning Bergeron at halftime of the season.. he had no offensive output what so ever.. that has changed however and he's scoring at a pretty good pace. I just dont think anyone is going to look past the 40 point difference.

darkbrew*

The fact Rossi can make a good argument shows how much of a slam dunk it is. Loses a 60 point winger, replaced with an AHLer and still dominates the field.

Yea hes the best player.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Why? Bergeron's great defence doesn't make up the 40 point difference.

Actually, it's the PP, PK, face-offs, +/- and control of the play. I'm not here saying that he is going to win any of these awards (apart from the Selke) from Crosby, but Bergeron's play this year has the Bruins 1st in the East. He is respected across the NHL and his play recently (7 game goal streak) would be a reason why I could see players giving him votes.

2003 saw Forsberg win the Hart but Naslund took home the Lindsay (Pearson). 2011 saw Perry win the Hart and the Lindsay went to Sedin. Hell, last year Ovechkin won the Lindsay while Crosby took the Hart. It happens quite commonly that the players vote for a player and the contribution that they are having for their team over the Hart voters.

darkbrew*

Actually, it's the PP, PK, face-offs, +/- and control of the play. I'm not here saying that he is going to win any of these awards (apart from the Selke) from Crosby, but Bergeron's play this year has the Bruins 1st in the East. He is respected across the NHL and his play recently (7 game goal streak) would be a reason why I could see players giving him votes.

2003 saw Forsberg win the Hart but Naslund took home the Lindsay (Pearson). 2011 saw Perry win the Hart and the Lindsay went to Sedin. Hell, last year Ovechkin won the Lindsay while Crosby took the Hart. It happens quite commonly that the players vote for a player and the contribution that they are having for their team over the Hart voters.

Pittsburgh is leading the NHL in man games lost. Its arguable without Crosby the pens could miss the playoffs. Who is more valuable again?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Pittsburgh is leading the NHL in man games lost. Its arguable without Crosby the pens could miss the playoffs. Who is more valuable again?

Cool. I wasn't here to argue against Crosby (as I have pointed out twice now) but to rather argue as to why Bergeron could be a dark horse for the Lindsay. His season has been amazing (as I watch him kill this 1:45 5 on 3 against Philly while protecting his GWG that is his 7th game in a row with a goal).

Crosby will continue to pile up the deserved regular season trophies and I'm not going to get into reasons why he shouldn't (heard them all before) but rather the validity of Bergeron's argument as the dark horse Lindsay candidate.

MurphyDump

Dec 22, 2010
The Penguins record when Crosby doesn't have a point? 3-15-1

Which means he's had a point in more than 75% of the games. Not bad, not bad at all.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I thought Crosby was the undisputed winner last year, to be honest. When it takes the rest of the league up until the last week to catch the leader, and that leader hadn't played a full 5 weeks of the season...that to me says that the player is undoubtedly the best. I also think when Sedin won, Sid should have won it that year.

For some reason when looking at Sid for awards, Geno is always brought into the equation, it seems. "MVP is most valuable player to his team. Well the Penguins win without Crosby." Valid...but the Penguins are what they are because of Crosby. They certainly aren't Cup favorites without him.

That has always sort of rubbed me the wrong way. I think Sid has been jobbed out of 2 MVP awards.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I thought Crosby was the undisputed winner last year, to be honest. When it takes the rest of the league up until the last week to catch the leader, and that leader hadn't played a full 5 weeks of the season...that to me says that the player is undoubtedly the best. I also think when Sedin won, Sid should have won it that year.

For some reason when looking at Sid for awards, Geno is always brought into the equation, it seems. "MVP is most valuable player to his team. Well the Penguins win without Crosby." Valid...but the Penguins are what they are because of Crosby. They certainly aren't Cup favorites without him.

That has always sort of rubbed me the wrong way. I think Sid has been jobbed out of 2 MVP awards.
He should absolutely have one of the two at least.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Cool. I wasn't here to argue against Crosby (as I have pointed out twice now) but to rather argue as to why Bergeron could be a dark horse for the Lindsay. His season has been amazing (as I watch him kill this 1:45 5 on 3 against Philly while protecting his GWG that is his 7th game in a row with a goal).

Crosby will continue to pile up the deserved regular season trophies and I'm not going to get into reasons why he shouldn't (heard them all before) but rather the validity of Bergeron's argument as the dark horse Lindsay candidate.

You have an agenda, so I'm not real sure why I'm even provoking you, but...

Patrice is a fantastic player, and probably one of the most underrated in the league, but I can never see him ever being in any discussion for MVP awards. He doesn't put up nearly enough statistically.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Woe is me , every team has injuries. btw wasn't Pittsburgh also winning when Crosby was out?
Since Crosby is getting the credit for the team winning will he also get the blame when they get knocked out early, I'm sure the rest of the team will have to take that abuse.

Crosby hasn't missed any time this year

Horvath Broncos

Aug 21, 2013

Sid has been jobbed out of Hart sure but if he deserved it last year then with same kinda reasoning Ovechkin should have won it in the year when Sedin won it not Crosby. Either way isn't Hart absolute garbage trophy like it was last season.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He should absolutely have one of the two at least.

These awards are just a flat out joke anymore. If Sid didn't win last year, I think it should have been Tavares who won it. You want to talk about a guy who holds value to a team? Look no further than JT.

Ryan Suter is the best defenseman in the NHL, and was undoubtedly last season. The fact that Subban won it purely based on his point totals, from a hockey purist point of view, it was sort of a slap in the face to the game. Anyone who watches those two players would see that Ryan Suter has all the goods and the consistency to match.

It's just real hard for me to take the awards seriously after last year.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Agreed with everything except for one; I truly believe that Bergeron is a dark horse for the Pearson. I know it is a long shot (and should be given Crosby's play) but I can see a lot of NHL players voting for Bergeron and the season he is having.

Sorry but not a chance.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Sid has been jobbed out of Hart sure but if he deserved it last year then with same kinda reasoning Ovechkin should have won it in the year when Sedin won it not Crosby. Either way isn't Hart absolute garbage trophy like it was last season.

Valid point

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

PP? Sid has more PPG than Bergeron has PPP. PK and face-offs sure but Sid kills Penalties and is decent in the dot. I'm sure Bergeron's play has been a big driver behind the Bruins performance but there is also Chara and Rask, Crosby has had to deal with more injuries (to his teammates). He's respected but I think most NHL players respect the top players ability so I don't see that being a factor. Has there ever been a gap of 40 points between the Hart winner and Lindsay winner? (when both players were forwards?)

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011

i wonder why you think that

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I actually had to re-check to see if this was on the Pens board or the Main board.

Nice to know how many people love trolling the Pens board!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Yeah, Crosby got screwed last year. That and the fact that so many from other teams want to come into this thread and say 'yes but' speaks volumes why the obvious needs to be stated over and over. I fully expect Crosby to be screwed again in the Hart voting. The writers who vote on this hate him.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012

• 17 wingers center B.Sutter has played with on the third line

• 16 points by Crosby in Malkin's nine-game absence

Interesting..... also that Crosby hasn't missed a single game yet :laugh: considering that the Penguins are one big hospital...

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
The Penguins record when Crosby doesn't have a point? 3-15-1

Which means he's had a point in more than 75% of the games. Not bad, not bad at all.

Also interesting.....well, it definitely is saying something about how the team plays when he's not producing....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad