Post-Game Talk: A case of dwyerrhea in Dallas

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
It's not one game. He can't coach 5 on 5 play for 3 different seasons now, he's had a chance with this newer group and the same/worse results as before. He can't get this team motivated to start games either, they've maybe had what? Like 6 total good starts this year?

They will win a bunch of games in the regular season because they have so much talent upfront, no one is saying otherwise, but that isn't the be all, end all.

well thanks for spoiling the future you all-knowing sage. Hmmm, could you tell me what will become of me? And name one coach that's up for grabs that we'd actually want...None!!!
f***ing crybabies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
well thanks for spoiling the future you all-knowing sage. Hmmm, could you tell me what will become of me? And name one coach that's up for grabs that we'd actually want...None!!!

Babcock and Tortorella may not be well liked, they may be hard asses, but they also have been and always been a tier higher of a coach than Tippett. Tippett is not in their class.

Toronto was a young run n' gun team too with Babcock but still had far more structure 5 on 5 and far better 5 on 5 metrics.

Tippett simply is a non-coach 5 on 5. He basically has two tricks ... split McDavid/Draisaitl apart or put them back together, and there's no other strategy I can see here for 3 seasons. I would take either of those guys over Tippett.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDaddy

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Guess I didn't miss much, the highlights alone were terrible to watch. Skinner didn't get a whole lot of help tonight and we're down another LD, damn!
On to the next one..

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
I could name a dozen average coaches that managed to win a Stanley Cup. But people tend to engage in after the fact attribution, of the coach, on the basis of a cup win. Very little seperates most coaches. Like I've said theres going to be 1 Trotz in a league, owning. Maybe a few other above average ones. The rest are just in the mix.

Look, I've been around the block a long time. NOBODY here figured even that Sutter would be capable of cup wins. I did, I called the cup win in 2012. But that was a Kings team that was configured just for playoffs and I spotted it. Knew what they could do and that they'd be bending teams in post season. That Kings club was stacked. They had everything, at every position.

Calgary Flames are not close to that Kings club.

In anycase Hitchcock won a cup, and he coached here, and he's indistinguishable from either McLelland or Tippett here. Hitchcock wasn't any great coach. he got one SC on an absolutely stacked Dallas Stars club during the height of big cap teams spending and loading up on players.

One would think that of any fan base this one would know that ultimately competent coaches don't move the needle all that much one way or the other. But you sure know when you got bad ones. Calgary had that experience in recent seasons.

Tippett came from the Hartford Whalers. A player factory for future coaches. That org pumped out players that played the right way and understood the game intimately. Tippett is a 3 sport athlete that could have been pro in 3 different sports. That dedicated, that good a professional. He's an exceptional individual. He's been hard working, astute, smart his whole life. He's succeeded at everything hes ever touched.
So, you're saying coaches don't really matter? I don't really understand the point you were trying to make.

It was an interesting read, for sure.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Babcock and Tortorella may not be well liked, they may be hard asses, but they also have been and always been a tier higher of a coach than Tippett. Tippett is not in their class.

Toronto was a young run n' gun team too with Babcock but still had far more structure 5 on 5 and far better 5 on 5 metrics.

Tippett simply is a non-coach 5 on 5. He basically has two tricks ... split McDavid/Draisaitl apart or put them back together, and there's no other strategy I can see here for 3 seasons. I would take either of those guys over Tippett.

Lmao babcock? That's your answer? f***, we're in more trouble than I thought....

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible

lol Babs and Torts, you really, honestly think that either of them are going to do any better? I remember when Oilers fans were just happy to be .500 and we're 13-5-0. Seriously, why are people complaining?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Well, I will dwell on a positive here:

The emergence of Skinner, McLeod, Bouchard and Broberg at least says that the Oiler draft/farm system is developing some guys and it is definitely headed in the right direction. The job that the coaches have done in Bakersfield is probably under stated.

But.....I just can't see how these slow, undisciplined starts amount to a deep playoff run. Tippett just doesn't impress me.
That’s the way I’m looking at it as well. Bouchard and Broberg are now turning into our best dman. Maybe Sammy gets a call. Let’s face the facts, it’s a young mans game. Holloway could be back soon enough
When 1 door closes, another opens

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Basically all you can say after this one. I’m glad I missed 14 mins of game. I look at it as 14 mins of my life I didn’t waste.
Onto Arizona
We lose that one like tonight and suicides go up big time in Oilerville

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't see that as controversial at all. The Flames are a team that works hard for their victories. The Oilers simply try to outskill their opponents because they don't have a gameplan.

Probably, but that's still very concerning from an Oilers perspective.
I don't disagree, but there's still alot of season left. Though now without Keith, possibly, things get a bit more dicey.

Broberg has been great, he shouldn't have to be 1LD

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You guys are f***ing nuts, blame Tippett for everything? He's been pretty consistent with what he has, who is going to replace him???
f*** you guys whine like babies when they lose one game. Grow the f*** up.
I certainly blame Tippett for the constant slow starts and overall lackadaisical play, not to mention the woeful even strength defense.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I must say, that fella who flew by Barrie and scored had rockets on his skates. What a skater. I thought I was watching Forest Gump 2.
Skate Forest Skate
Boy , that boy sure can skate

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Not sure how anyone can stomach watching the NHL's product.
I've only watched a couple games this season and followed along in here. The first season since 2013 I haven't been watching.

After the playoffs last summer(non-calls) and the off season we just had I wasn't committing time.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I notice Forest wears 44. Hmmm, maybe it’s Kassian’s turn to eat popcorn. Or better yet, maybe start serving some Bubba Gump Shrimp in the PB.
Gump, your in lineup in Zona
59AFBC3B-C02C-40D2-858B-45B10C178322.jpeg
59AFBC3B-C02C-40D2-858B-45B10C178322.jpeg
190F5710-9A66-47F2-8F62-449C3008B51F.jpeg

Reactions: tardigrade81

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This team has a problem with treating teams like Dallas with too much respect and not like the team they currently are as a group. They need to figure this out, but a new coach would likely give them the best shot.

Reactions: tardigrade81

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
It's not one game. He can't coach 5 on 5 play for 3 different seasons now, he's had a chance with this newer group and the same/worse results as before. He can't get this team motivated to start games either, they've maybe had what? Like 6 total good starts this year?

They will win a bunch of games in the regular season because they have so much talent upfront, no one is saying otherwise, but that isn't the be all, end all.

He was a good coach for getting the team out of the basement, but this is basically the roof of his ability here I think.
Why do people act like the slow start thing is a tippet thing? This has been a problem going back as far the Hemsky days maybe even further than that. It’s the same thing with defending this seems to go back at least that far as well. No rational explanation for it at all really.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Because he's trash and always misses the wide open empty net, shows no initiative or drive in his training or acts like he doesn't need any and his points will wither away soon enough and you'll realize, woah he's garbage.
Just imagine how much better Drai can be if he didn't have that plug on his line. Replace him with McLeod. Hopkins wouldn't even be able to convert that beauty saucer pass from Drai in his sleep

Oil53

Jun 4, 2018
Well, I will dwell on a positive here:

The emergence of Skinner, McLeod, Bouchard and Broberg at least says that the Oiler draft/farm system is developing some guys and it is definitely headed in the right direction. The job that the coaches have done in Bakersfield is probably under stated.

But.....I just can't see how these slow, undisciplined starts amount to a deep playoff run. Tippett just doesn't impress me.
Let’s give the younger coach in Bakersfield a try right now.

Reactions: The Safe Play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad