A case for building around Draisaitl and not McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDavid87

Jan 5, 2018
He is the best player in the world, he makes others better. You would get a kings ransom for him but you also lose the best player in the world. We traded Gretzky and the return was never equal to the player.

Would you trade McDavid for

Jakub Vrana
Tom Wilson
John Carlson
1st and 2nd round pick

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Really we should go all in and trade BOTH. In a series of multi team deals that will get us all of the top 3 picks for the next 3 years

McDavid87

Jan 5, 2018
If you are trading, you trade McDavid asap. Opens up the most cap space % wise and get the most for him as well.

What I'm saying, is in 3 years McDavids cap % is more manageable and you can add depth then.

So their is no point in trading McDavid because while it helps short term it isn't worth it down road. Especially since we do have a decent amount of prospects graduating.

It's also good to note because of poor GMing. The Oilers have too many buyouts and poor contracts to truly get an elite team short term anyways.

We have a lot of dead cap space for another 3+ years with Pouliot, Lucic, Sekera, and Neal.

I really hope Holland can recognize the true window for a stanley cup team is when all our dead cap space is gone and McDrai cap hit % is considerably lower.

hm
i'm going to have to agree with you on that.
imagine having Holland at that time.....

how much cap do we have on those 4 anyway?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
You lose the trade automatically the second you put McDavid on the market.
It is not just about the game on the ice either, McDavid is worth millions to the Oilers from a marketing standpoint. Oiler fans do not want to live through The Great One 2.0.

That's why anyone would trade for McDavid.

Not to slag McDavid. He is imo the best player in the world.

But.

He does not impact winning near as much as we all would like to think. He only plays 1/3 the game. Him and his teammates typically get outscored 5v5 when he is on the ice. He does not bring a consistent 2 way effort most nights...

He packs people into the seats. He is the most skilled played since forever. He makes more money for his team than any other player in Jersey sales alone probably... Lots of great stuff but if you are building a true cup contender asap trading him would be the best way to do it.

Short term anyways. Long term it bites you in the butt. Hurts financially for sure as you mention. And even if you build the perfect team... There is no guarantee you win a cup anyways.

Much better for all to just keep him and build a team around both.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Alright, so it's been proven that Draisaitl can run his own line/team.
When McDavid and Draisaitl ran their own lines, we essentially had 2 number 1 lines

Draisaitl drafted in 2014
McDavid drafted in 2015 (we were against the odds in getting the first over all pick)

So REALLY, this would have been Draisaitl's team if we weren't lucky enough to get McDavid.

With that said, wouldn't it make sense to trade McDavid for some amazing wingers/defense

We could get so much for McDavid, and have all 4 lines rolling, rather than just 2 or sometimes 1
pretty terrible case actually

depth down the middle is everything in the NHL

we have 2 ELITE centers...no one outside Pittsburgh can say that

why wreck this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?

Reactions: TB12

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
No, just start drafting and developing players properly and who knows, maybe you'd have the cheap depth that it takes to compete.
The Oilers during the past decade has been legendary in squandering high picks:
Since i started following the team in 2002: the list of first and second rounders. Highlighted are the NHL players.
2002:
1) Niinimaki
2) Deslaurier, Stoll, Greene

1) Pouliot
2) McDonald, Jacques

1)Dubnyk, Schremp
2) Tesluk, Paukovich

1) Cogliano
2) Chorney

2) Petry

1) Gagner, Plante, Nash

1) Eberle

1) Paajarvi
2) Lander

1) Hall
2) Pitlick, Marincin, Hamilton

1) RNH, Klefbom
2) Musil

1) Yakupov
2) Moroz

1) Nurse
2) Roy

1) Draisaitl

1) McDavid

1) Pulujaarvi
2) Benson

1) yamamoto

1) Bouchard
2) McLeod, Rodrigue

1) Broberg
2) Lavoie

Some picks were quite obvious and judgement is still out on many players and it looks like things may have been improving cerca 2014 (when they drafted Jones and Bear in later rounds), but that's a lot of bad picks in the top rounds. Imagine what this would have been if Yakupov and Puljujaarvi alone lived up to their hype.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I'm open for a trade if we win.

MacKinnon + Makar + Rantanen + 1st
For
McDavid + Neal + Russel

That was easy.

Eichel (50% retained) + Dahlin + 1st unprotected would be interesting too. Especially if we got Lafreniere out of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
hm
i'm going to have to agree with you on that.
imagine having Holland at that time.....

how much cap do we have on those 4 anyway?

This year it's 9.63 million although Neal has been good imo to offset half of that.

Next year 9.33.

Following 2 years it's 8 million tied up in Sekera, Neal, and Lucic.

So spring 2023. If Holland can keep him Dick in his pants and restrain himself from doing any more buyouts or big stupid paydays for over the hill vets. We get 8 million dollars freed up along with the cap going up and the %cap hit of McDrai being considerably better.

2023 if prepared for properly is when the Oilers should have the cap situation to be able to field and nhl Stanley Cup contending team.

There are a million things that can happen between now and then that can mess it all up and there is no reason we couldn't win one before but a true window does nothat start to open imo until those contracts are gone.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
i am extremely grateful we have these 2 players, but i'm just saying to imagine the possibilities.

Yes, look at all the possibilities. The best one by far is keeping both of them. So what’s the point?

i guess this is why i don't see any of you becoming GM's of hockey teams. you'd make poor decisions.

Come on... this is basically an admission that you don’t expect anyone to take you seriously.

McOylerz

Feb 28, 2002
London, Ontario
Alright, so it's been proven that Draisaitl can run his own line/team.
When McDavid and Draisaitl ran their own lines, we essentially had 2 number 1 lines

Draisaitl drafted in 2014
McDavid drafted in 2015 (we were against the odds in getting the first over all pick)

So REALLY, this would have been Draisaitl's team if we weren't lucky enough to get McDavid.

With that said, wouldn't it make sense to trade McDavid for some amazing wingers/defense

We could get so much for McDavid, and have all 4 lines rolling, rather than just 2 or sometimes 1

Yes, Exactly! This idea doesn't make any sense. I'd rather have two number 1 lines and figure out the rest and than a full set of 1-4 lines. Give Holland time, he's building something. Also, I don't think you could trade McDavid for enough to be a cup favourite this year with the other cap issues the Oilers are facing.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
No one would give up what it would cost to make a McDavid trade worthwhile, plus the cap would be too hard to figure out. Teams are attached to their own superstars, and no one in today's league is going to gut their team to bring in one guy. For example, the Leafs would start with Matthews. Is there anyone else on that team that they could give up that the Oilers could afford and would make it worth losing McDavid? No. Colorado could start with Mackinnon, but given his contract, it doesn't make sense for them to consider that move.

The only interesting scenario I could see is finding out how many first round picks a team would give up for McDavid now. You would have to think the asking price would start somewhere between 10-15 (don't think this is legal but whatever, it's a hypothetical). I wonder if anyone would do it?

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
images

Reactions: TB12

JBear

Mar 26, 2014
I'm open for a trade if we win.

MacKinnon + Makar + Rantanen + 1st
For
McDavid + Neal + Russel

That was easy.

Eichel (50% retained) + Dahlin + 1st unprotected would be interesting too. Especially if we got Lafreniere out of it.
Colorado and buffalo were the only 2 I could think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad