A case for building around Draisaitl and not McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDavid87

Jan 5, 2018
Alright, so it's been proven that Draisaitl can run his own line/team.
When McDavid and Draisaitl ran their own lines, we essentially had 2 number 1 lines

Draisaitl drafted in 2014
McDavid drafted in 2015 (we were against the odds in getting the first over all pick)

So REALLY, this would have been Draisaitl's team if we weren't lucky enough to get McDavid.

With that said, wouldn't it make sense to trade McDavid for some amazing wingers/defense

We could get so much for McDavid, and have all 4 lines rolling, rather than just 2 or sometimes 1

McDavid87

Jan 5, 2018
the responses here are not what i was expecting.....

i am extremely grateful we have these 2 players, but i'm just saying to imagine the possibilities.

i guess this is why i don't see any of you becoming GM's of hockey teams. you'd make poor decisions.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Purely from a clinical/logical exercise it's interesting.

Moving McDavid opens up a huge amount of cap. You basically get a team to back the truck up for him.

McDavid and superstars in general are not as valuable in today's nhl compared to cost controlled depth.

In a bubble for this year and maybe a couple more you win any trade and get a better team without McDavid but with more depth.

However. As McDavids cap comes down the roster becomes more flexible and depth can be added via prospects, savey trades, and limited UFA additions.

Having two superstars. In their prime. Once their cap % comes down. Is superior to trading McDavid for depth now.

Reactions: McDavid87

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

i am extremely grateful we have these 2 players, but i'm just saying to imagine the possibilities.

i guess this is why i don't see any of you becoming GM's of hockey teams. you'd make poor decisions.

Ok, I should really stop engaging the troll, but it's too much fun. Let me know when you become an NHL GM, eh?

Reactions: TB12 and frag2

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Then you're either completely clueless or utterly disingenuous, because this is a polite reaction given the "subject"

McDavid87

Jan 5, 2018

Moving McDavid opens up a huge amount of cap. You basically get a team to back the truck up for him.

McDavid and superstars in general are not as valuable in today's nhl compared to cost controlled depth.

In a bubble for this year and maybe a couple more you win any trade and get a better team without McDavid but with more depth.

However. As McDavids cap comes down the roster becomes more flexible and depth can be added via prospects, savey trades, and limited UFA additions.

Having two superstars. In their prime. Once their cap % comes down. Is superior to trading McDavid for depth now.

that's true. What age would you put them at to consider trading?

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019

You lose the trade automatically the second you put McDavid on the market.
It is not just about the game on the ice either, McDavid is worth millions to the Oilers from a marketing standpoint. Oiler fans do not want to live through The Great One 2.0.

Reactions: Dashh

McDavid87

Jan 5, 2018
Ok, I should really stop engaging the troll, but it's too much fun. Let me know when you become an NHL GM, eh?

you know, just because you disagree with someone it doesn't mean they're a troll.....

this is a forum to discuss things

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
You could trade 1 or the other, or even both for that matter, but it doesn't mean the players & picks you get would work out or they'd even want to be here.

We have 2 players that are signed to reasonable contracts going forward, who are performing well & want to be here. I don't see the issue.

McDavid87

Jan 5, 2018
You lose the trade automatically the second you put McDavid on the market.
It is not just about the game on the ice either, McDavid is worth millions to the Oilers from a marketing standpoint. Oiler fans do not want to live through The Great One 2.0.

fair.

McDavid is a very exciting player to watch.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
why?

Please don't turn this thread into a negative one. If you don't have anything of value to say, don't say it.
since the beginning of February, you've felt the need to post multiple threads that are thinly veiled attempts at baiting the fanbase into getting into a pissing match over Mcdavid and Drai.

Nov 6: Do I still need to justify why Draisaitl is the greatest?
Feb 4: Neon Draisaitl is the best player in the league
Feb 11: The NHL's best player knows what to do now.
Feb 21: A case for building around Draisaitl and not McDavid (which suspiciously has no case at all, just more bait)

Just stop.

McDavid87

Jan 5, 2018
since the beginning of February, you've felt the need to post multiple threads that are thinly veiled attempts at baiting the fanbase into getting into a pissing match over Mcdavid and Drai.

Nov 6: Do I still need to justify why Draisaitl is the greatest?
Feb 4: Neon Draisaitl is the best player in the league
Feb 11: The NHL's best player knows what to do now.
Feb 21: A case for building around Draisaitl and not McDavid (which suspiciously has no case at all, just more bait)

Just stop.

i'm glad you took the time to list my VALID threads, but did you not read my other post about maybe even trading Draisaitl?

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
fair.

McDavid is a very exciting player to watch.

He is the best player in the world, he makes others better. You would get a kings ransom for him but you also lose the best player in the world. We traded Gretzky and the return was never equal to the player.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Sure a lot of dicks responding here. Guy has a thought (which may indeed be a good idea) and everyone trashes and insults instead of actually having a point.

Could likely get 3 or 4 firsts or 2 top line players plus 2 firsts or...

I like watching McDavid that is my reason to keep him.

Here here having the kahunas for the controversial topic.

Reactions: FlyingPhi

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
that's true. What age would you put them at to consider trading?

If you are trading, you trade McDavid asap. Opens up the most cap space % wise and get the most for him as well.

What I'm saying, is in 3 years McDavids cap % is more manageable and you can add depth then.

So their is no point in trading McDavid because while it helps short term it isn't worth it down road. Especially since we do have a decent amount of prospects graduating.

It's also good to note because of poor GMing. The Oilers have too many buyouts and poor contracts to truly get an elite team short term anyways.

We have a lot of dead cap space for another 3+ years with Pouliot, Lucic, Sekera, and Neal.

I really hope Holland can recognize the true window for a stanley cup team is when all our dead cap space is gone and McDrai cap hit % is considerably lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad