A case for building around Draisaitl and not McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil4life99

Oct 5, 2017
Alright, so it's been proven that Draisaitl can run his own line/team.
When McDavid and Draisaitl ran their own lines, we essentially had 2 number 1 lines

Draisaitl drafted in 2014
McDavid drafted in 2015 (we were against the odds in getting the first over all pick)

So REALLY, this would have been Draisaitl's team if we weren't lucky enough to get McDavid.

With that said, wouldn't it make sense to trade McDavid for some amazing wingers/defense

We could get so much for McDavid, and have all 4 lines rolling, rather than just 2 or sometimes 1

Ill try very hard not to be rude but I will say that you are going to get a beating on here. Deserved. In what lifetime do you EVER trade a generational talent like McDavid? I don't care if its for a package including MacKinnon, Ranti and Makar. You just don't do it. I am so thankful you have no pull on this team. You would be hunted and tortured in this fine city.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Ill try very hard not to be rude but I will say that you are going to get a beating on here. Deserved. In what lifetime do you EVER trade a generational talent like McDavid? I don't care if its for a package including MacKinnon, Ranti and Makar. You just don't do it. I am so thankful you have no pull on this team. You would be hunted and tortured in this fine city.

Lindros was traded look what happened with that trade. It's entirely possible to win such a trade if you get back so many pieces to improve the team.

You'd have to get back a king's ransom though, and it would have to be assets under control, and not picks. I can't see such a trade working in the cap world though.

it would take a huge set of b@lls to pull the trigger on a trade like that.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I wholly concur.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Lindros was traded look what happened with that trade. It's entirely possible to win such a trade if you get back so many pieces to improve the team.

You'd have to get back a king's ransom though, and it would have to be assets under control, and not picks. I can't see such a trade working in the cap world though.

Lindros never wanted to go to Quebec, and thus forced the trade before the draft. Totally different scenario. You can cherry pick examples of superstars being traded in their primes and it working out, but they are few and far between.

Reactions: frag2

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This discussion makes me think of this:

LOL, this captures the ridiculousness of this thread perfectly.

The OP has been trolling this board incessantly this season with his insistence that one player is better than another, bringing it up when his choice has a good run, and then disappearing when it goes the other way. And now this garbage.

Last edited:
Reactions: frag2 and Homesick

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Such wins are rare and would be even rarer in a capped world. These days any single player you get who will be even remotely close to McDavid is going to eat up enough cap so the best you will be able to do is to add a top six tweener without shedding cap. Of course you could deal for futures and hope you find a HOF calibre player like Forsberg that you can have for a few years on the cheap. But you probably lose this trade 9/10 times and even more if you actually own the team and care about marketing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad