Speculation: A Canadian Division, good or bad for the Habs?

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
If they decide to go ahead with an all Canadian division, does the competition suddenly become a lot harder for the Habs to make the playoffs? We're better than Ottawa, and maybe Edmonton. Toronto and Vancouver is debatable. Winnipeg and Calgary are both very good teams. We might be in trouble again.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Good for the Habs, because that's weaker than the Atlantic.

But bad for fans like myself because I'll be bored out of my mind watching the same teams over and over again.

Reactions: Franck

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Great for the Habs - they can compete with any of those teams. There’s no Tampa and Boston with essentially two guaranteed Top 3 spots.

Reactions: Franck

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I think we beat the leafs. Relentless forecheck on those fancy dman all day. Bogosian won't change anything.

Ottawa, not for now.

Winnipeg and Edmonton, their own zone coverage is as bad as the leafs. We are good against shitty defense.

Flames and Vancouver have good clubs.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Boston and Tampa are the two best teams in the league, so trading them for some mid list Western teams increases the Habs chances of real success.

It does prevent them from beating up weak sisters like Detroit and Buffalo, which is a disadvantage for a middling to mediocre team like Montreal though.

So good for Montreal if they were actually good. But they probably aren't.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
There's no superpower team like tampa, so it's good in that sense. It's a marginally better path, but all these time zone shifts throughout the year are probably going to be a disadvantage over the long haul once the divisions start playing each other.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I think we beat the leafs. Relentless forecheck on those fancy dman all day. Bogosian won't change anything.

Ottawa, not for now.

Winnipeg and Edmonton, their own zone coverage is as bad as the leafs. We are good against shitty defense.

Flames and Vancouver have good clubs.
Brodie, Holl and Muzzin say hello

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Brodie, Holl and Muzzin say hello

Muzzin is good in his own zone, yep! Holl, really? It's like saying Kulak says hello! Brodie isn't anything special in his own zone, typical leafs dman. Even there best dman is not known for his defensive plays. Muzzin is great tho.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Muzzin is good in his own zone, yep! Holl, really? It's like saying Kulak says hello! Brodie isn't anything special in his own zone, typical leafs dman. Even there best dman is not known for his defensive plays. Muzzin is great tho.
Holl is pretty decent in all facets, skates well and has size (that he uses well). He performed really well in a top-4 role last season, and while there's always some uncertainty with late bloomers like him (1-year wonder and so on), he's definitely worth mentioning.

Brodie has also performed very well in his own end. He doesn't throw his weight around, but he is very sound positionally and has good stick work. He's far from being a liability in his own zone, and that alone will prove to be a much needed improvement over Barrie.

There's also Dermott who I didn't mention, but he's very good defensively, and he's not a guy you can push around easily either despite him "only" being 6'. He's probably going to continue improving over the next few years, since he's still very young.

Overall, while the Leafs don't have any d-man who are well known for their defensive plays (like Marino, Brodin, Pelech, Slavin, etc.), they definitely have a much improved defensive core. Some of their forwards have also shown some progression on the defensive side of things over last season, so it will be interesting to see how they fare with a stronger defensive core. I could definitely see them taking more risks offensively due to their stronger backend.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Competition wise, toss up... Division would have been just as tough, maybe tougher (better high end teams in TB & Boston, but also a weak gift in Red Wings).

Impact-wise... It's a negative... That travel is going to suck

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think it'd be good for the Habs. We won't have to face any juggernauts like Tampa or Detroit if so.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Wish I was still living in Cowtown (assuming there’s travel and not a bubble) cause we only got the Habs once (used to be a NYE that was awesome) or maybe twice with a pre-season game.

Actually probably not enough to bring me back to the shell of what the city used to be, thanks JT

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If it's a short season, 48 or 60 game season, then maybe this wont be so bad, but only having 6 other teams to play will surely create some intense rivalries with every team.
The habs as a rule don't do well when they go west, but this year will be different
The travel could be a real challenge, but no way they should go down into the US, also known as Covid Country.
All things considered, it will be different, but the intense rivalries will make it entertaining. I like the current teams chances of doing well if this does happen.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Didn't we have something like a 12-3-3 record against Canadian teams last year? Not that history is a perfect indicator but that would bode well for us considering Canadian teams haven't done much to improve from last year.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
If it's a short season, 48 or 60 game season, then maybe this wont be so bad, but only having 6 other teams to play will surely create some intense rivalries with every team.
The habs as a rule don't do well when they go west, but this year will be different
The travel could be a real challenge, but no way they should go down into the US, also known as Covid Country.
All things considered, it will be different, but the intense rivalries will make it entertaining. I like the current teams chances of doing well if this does happen.

Agreed on the U.S. being covid country but the province of Quebec has been just as bad.

Reactions: BLONG7

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
If they go with a canadian division i hope they don’t play only with the canadian teams for the full season. They should allow them to go for a month play against american teams.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Seeing them play the same other 6 canadian teams in a bubble cuty for half a season will not be a good idea. I would still like to see them play some american teams.

I do believe the Habs will finish likely third or fourth in a canadian division because I have the Jets, TO and Flames slightly ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad