Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Posted this on the Sabres board and here too...

Just my opinion but TBS's Pre-Post-Intermission presentations and game broadcasts are far more enjoyable for me than TNT's.

Listening to Henrik is a delight. Such thoughtful and insightful analysis. Total class act.

And Biz is the perfect characterization of a TML fan. I believe his pouting about his team's misfortunes is genuine. He should host his own TML You Tube channel.

TNT has Messier who I enjoy listening to even though Mark is a bit too wooden. Subban is just a clown act.

Can't stand listening to AJ Meleckyo (?) on TNT broadcasts. She grabs every pause to insert her comments. Frankly, she never shuts up.

TBS and TNT are the same broadcast. Just different channels….

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Posted this on the Sabres board and here too...

Just my opinion but TBS's Pre-Post-Intermission presentations and game broadcasts are far more enjoyable for me than TNT's.

Listening to Henrik is a delight. Such thoughtful and insightful analysis. Total class act.

And Biz is the perfect characterization of a TML fan. I believe his pouting about his team's misfortunes is genuine. He should host his own TML You Tube channel.

TNT has Messier who I enjoy listening to even though Mark is a bit too wooden. Subban is just a clown act.

Can't stand listening to AJ Meleckyo (?) on TNT broadcasts. She grabs every pause to insert her comments. Frankly, she never shuts up.
Lundqvist has been amazing.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Why in the heck did the Leafs come back every year with the same core, not even a sniff of playoff hope or success even along the way. It's hilarious for us, but it's baffling

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Why in the heck did the Leafs come back every year with the same core, not even a sniff of playoff hope or success even along the way. It's hilarious for us, but it's baffling
Had Dubas not been fired, maybe we would've seen Nylander traded away during the summer.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
They really need to fix their defense and their goaltending... but they've needed to do this since all the way back before they signed Tavares. Now, all those big contracts to their "core" and they all have some sort of NMC. Those guys aren't just going to waive to go anywhere. Dubas really f***ed that team for the future. Treliving really is in a no win situation. How the hell is he going to fix/improve that team when he can't make any moves with players approval first?

Reactions: BaconNater

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
They really need to fix their defense and their goaltending... but they've needed to do this since all the way back before they signed Tavares. Now, all those big contracts to their "core" and they all have some sort of NMC. Those guys aren't just going to waive to go anywhere. Dubas really f***ed that team for the future. Treliving really is in a no win situation. How the hell is he going to fix/improve that team when he can't make any moves with players approval first?
Once again, we can quibble about their goaltending and defense, but what it has (once again) come down to is they just don't score enough goals. And that's not in small part on the big 4.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
TBS and TNT are the same broadcast. Just different channels….
Talking about the hosts and panel members, not corporate ownership. (Disney probably owns all of it...)

Its a different set and a different presentation. And level of discussion.

Heck, the actual feed is probably provided by the home team.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Once again, we can quibble about their goaltending and defense, but what it has (once again) come down to is they just don't score enough goals. And that's not in small part on the big 4.

But the defense plays a big part in why the “Big 4” can’t get it done in the postseason. Instead of focusing on finishing and making plays, they gotta generate the offense in the first place. That’s simply impossible to do in the postseason.

I would hope this finally puts a nail in the idiotic notion that teams nEeD tO GeT tOUGHerrrrrr in order to succeed in the postseason since it’s mostly been those “tough” players costing Toronto the most. But I know it won’t.

If I’m the Leafs GM I’m moving on from Marner (and possibly Rielly) and doing everything possible to infuse that blueline with as much speed and skill as possible, jettisoning every meathead I can…but I know that won’t happen.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Tavares is way, way past his expiration date.....

It sounds to me like player "future financial security considerations" have superseded sound common sense contract negotiations and cancel clauses.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
But the defense plays a big part in why the “Big 4” can’t get it done in the postseason. Instead of focusing on finishing and making plays, they gotta generate the offense in the first place. That’s simply impossible to do in the postseason.

I would hope this finally puts a nail in the idiotic notion that teams nEeD tO GeT tOUGHerrrrrr in order to succeed in the postseason since it’s mostly been those “tough” players costing Toronto the most. But I know it won’t.

If I’m the Leafs GM I’m moving on from Marner (and possibly Rielly) and doing everything possible to infuse that blueline with as much speed and skill as possible, jettisoning every meathead I can…but I know that won’t happen.
Good points. We all know that regular season play and playoff season play differs. Lots more effort, intensity and effort is applied to forechecking, back checking, gap closure, stick on stick checking, etc. when in playoff mode.

I'm speculating that The Leaf forwards can't play through this because they usually don't have to during the regular season where they have lots of time and space to operate in.

TML = NPR.......Not Playoff Ready

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Just watch the games. Benoit, Edmundson, and Lybushkin can't make passes. Forwards have to come back and skate the puck up through 5 Bruins every time they're on the ice.

When Jake McCabe is your second best puck mover you are in a f*** ton of trouble.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Leafs will be fine. It's not like Matthews is getting a 1.6m raise starting next year and WIlly a 4.5m raise starting next year. And it's not like the 4 of them plus Rielly make 54m combined (62% of cap) and all 5 have NMC ... oh wait, they do.

They'll have the same team next year, same results, and Marner will catch fire at the start of the season, and they'll extend him.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Tavares is an 11M 4th liner. It starts there.

Reactions: katfude

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
New Gibson? What the f*** does that even mean?

Saros has been a Vezina caliber goalie for like the last 6 years, par this one. Gibson is not that.

Saros is a better goalie than Hellebuyck and Oettinger, yes, I said it.

Good goalie on a bad team. No reference is going to be exact.

We'll see, I'm just not over here hoping we trade for him yet. Nashville may not be good, but a Trotz team always makes the goalie look good at the expense of offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad