WJC: A bit overhyped perhaps?

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
C'mon dude.

I understand you like it very much and I dont like it but to call it the best sporting event of the year ? :laugh:

Somebody even prefers this junior tourney before the Olympics. Now that's scary but everyone is entitled to his own opinion but dont get overboard with things, like the quote above.

Millions of people are watching the Olympics. You should know how many people are watching hockey during the Olympics while they actually dont give a crap about hockey at all. Even the Dutch television is broadcasting hockey !

Nobody outside Canada, with exception of the hardcore fans, gives a damn about the WJC.

The best sporting even of the year.... :laugh:

Well, to each his own I guess... I found it difficult watching a January NHL game last year after watching the WJC. You might not understand/agree but these tournaments are about as exciting as the NHL playoffs for many Canadian hockey fans. Maybe its the equivalent of how Europeans feel about the World Championship?

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
C'mon dude.

I understand you like it very much and I dont like it but to call it the best sporting event of the year ? :laugh:

Somebody even prefers this junior tourney before the Olympics. Now that's scary but everyone is entitled to his own opinion but dont get overboard with things, like the quote above.

Millions of people are watching the Olympics. You should know how many people are watching hockey during the Olympics while they actually dont give a crap about hockey at all. Even the Dutch television is broadcasting hockey !

Nobody outside Canada, with exception of the hardcore fans, gives a damn about the WJC.

The best sporting even of the year.... :laugh:

Yeah, I´m still laughing at that one and to say in a year that the winter OG and the soccer WC, which will both be watched and enjoyed by billions of people all over the world, is pretty funny.:laugh:

Qmjhl4life

Apr 5, 2009
Cape Breton
Last years WJC was probably the most amazing experience anybody could experience.

The fans were crazy, the team was good, and the stories were unreal.

WJC is the best tourney behind the Olympics.

:handclap:

It especially better when you follow a junior team for 10+ years and only 3 of them have made the team in franchise history ie the Cape Breton Eagles

Luke Adam
Marc Andre Fleury
Stephen Dixon

MJALLTHEWAY

Oct 10, 2008
I used to watch the juniors with gary green and paul romanuk ... I was hooked before the hype. Let those guys do it again.

EDIT - I also think they can be more exciting because the players are aren't experienced enough to deal with big crowds and big moments so they make mistakes at dramatic moments.

mooseOAK*

Definitely over - hyped. Recently there have been one or two good games in the whole tournament and a lot of stinkers due to Canada being so dominant and so many countries just not having the depth to ice a competitive team.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Well, to each his own I guess... I found it difficult watching a January NHL game last year after watching the WJC. You might not understand/agree but these tournaments are about as exciting as the NHL playoffs for many Canadian hockey fans. Maybe its the equivalent of how Europeans feel about the World Championship?
No I'm not getting excited about the World Championship either. :) If people like to watch the WJC, no problem of course. Yet my point is, that people/tv/media must not act like this is some kind of big event because it is not.

Kekumba

Jan 24, 2008
Ottawa

This...

No I'm not getting excited about the World Championship either. :) If people like to watch the WJC, no problem of course. Yet my point is, that people/tv/media must not act like this is some kind of big event because it is not.

Not taking a jab at you because you live in the Netherlands, but I definitely think you'd look at it differently had you grown up in Canada. It's not a huge event, but it's a holiday tradition for a lot of people. It seems to me like there's a little misunderstanding here.

nowayguy

Maybe Next Year
May 31, 2009
The passion with which these kids play is unreal, a good number of these guys, not including Canada, will never have a career in the NHL and you can see it in their play. This could be the best moment of their hockey career, how many times do you get to represent your country at an international event? Even then the kids who do have a future in NHL hockey still give it their all.

Outside of that, the games are just plain exciting. Anything can happen during this tournament and when it does, the roof comes off the building. I still remember a few years ago sitting in Phys Ed class watching Canada fall apart against the States in the Gold Medal game. Return to last year and you had Tavares and co coming back to win against the States. The year before that you had Canada riding a huge winning streak going up against Sweden, Canada lost but they met again in the finals and Canada persevered.

Canada was dominant the first two years of the gold medal run but since then the games have been competitive and Canada has almost lost a number of times, anyone who says otherwise needs to go back and check what really happened.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I don't care how unpopular the tournament is in Europe, why should I be?

It's popular here in Canada because it's great junior hockey, we see the best players from everywhere.

Is it over hyped? Of course it is, as a lot of things are. It's a $$$maker and I'm sure the hockey bodies of all countries prefer to make as much money as possible.

I'm sure if it was held in Australia and made record profits there's a good chance the IIHF would prefer it there as much as possible.

That said I sure understand Europeans not thrilled with having to watch the games at 3am...but that's the price you pay for not supporting it like Canadians do.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
It has nothing to do with Canada vs. Europe.

Soccer is a popular sport in Europe, it is not in Canada. Yet, the World Cup of soccer 2010 is a huge event...no matter if you like it or not.

Here in Holland we like speedskating (I dont really but the most do) but I do realize that many dont care and rightfully so.

tzinc

Oct 20, 2009
Leafs Nation
Total hype, it's a meaningless tournament, comes at a good time of the year - other countries don't care about it at all...

ottsens08

Sep 25, 2007
top secret
The WJCs are extremely exciting are you kidding? And your comparing the WCs to this? The WCs is a damn joke. This tournament is filled with top prospects and top draftees. The WCs is filled with career AHLers (or other non NHL leagues) and a handful of decent NHL players.
You see it depends on which side of the atlantic you live. In North America the world juniors are bigger than the world championships. On the other hand if you live in Europe no one cares for the world juniors it's all about the world hockey championships. I for one prefer to watch the world championship than the world juniors, but that's just me.

Avery4Byng*

Total hype, it's a meaningless tournament, comes at a good time of the year - other countries don't care about it at all...

This.

Don't get me wrong, I have watched it every year since I can remember, but yes it is hyped up to be bigger then it really is.

nowayguy

Maybe Next Year
May 31, 2009
This.

Don't get me wrong, I have watched it every year since I can remember, but yes it is hyped up to be bigger then it really is.

Well duh. Everyone knows that but the majority of people who watch it, Canadians, love hockey and love supporting their country. TSN obviously marketed the WJ's brilliantly when the program was first picked up and has continued to do so since. Thing is no one who watches cares if the WJ's are over hyped anymore. It's about watching fantastic hockey, supporting the country... and the tournament also happens to occur at the perfect time of the year.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Sure it's overhyped but I still enjoy it 100 times more than the WC's.

The Olympics will make both look meaningless by comparison, though.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
It has nothing to do with Canada vs. Europe.

Soccer is a popular sport in Europe, it is not in Canada. Yet, the World Cup of soccer 2010 is a huge event...no matter if you like it or not.

Here in Holland we like speedskating (I dont really but the most do) but I do realize that many dont care and rightfully so.

Right. But it's not up to you to decide how big a sporting event is for other people. For many here, the World Juniors are huge and the World Cup is meaningless. "Sporting event of the year" - Your definition will be different than mine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Right. But it's not up to you to decide how big a sporting event is for other people. For many here, the World Juniors are huge and the World Cup is meaningless. "Sporting event of the year" - Your definition will be different than mine.
Posted via Mobile Device
No you're missing the point entirely.

I dont decide how big of a sporting event the WJC is, the ratings outside Canada do.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
No you're missing the point entirely.

I dont decide how big of a sporting event the WJC is, the ratings outside Canada do.

Frolov, I think we get your point - its overhyped in Canada. But if someone comes on these boards and says "its the biggest sporting event of the year for him/her" - you shouldn't laugh or say they a wrong with their statement. Other people can't/shouldn't dictate to that person what they consider to be the most important sporting event.

Kenobody

Aug 17, 2007
43.88°N 79.3°W
I don't care how unpopular the tournament is in Europe, why should I be?

It's popular here in Canada because it's great junior hockey, we see the best players from everywhere.

Is it over hyped? Of course it is, as a lot of things are. It's a $$$maker and I'm sure the hockey bodies of all countries prefer to make as much money as possible.

I'm sure if it was held in Australia and made record profits there's a good chance the IIHF would prefer it there as much as possible.

That said I sure understand Europeans not thrilled with having to watch the games at 3am...but that's the price you pay for not supporting it like Canadians do.
Agreed on all parts. Obviously it's over hyped, I'm probably the #1 hater for TSN's intro montages before all of Canada's games (remember the "Team Canada: the well oiled machine" one from last year? It was almost embarrassing) but it's once a year and I enjoy how much effort the players put into it.

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
Every single popular sporting event in the world is overhyped. Called profit, son.

See; Super Bowl, World Cup, etc.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Frolov, I think we get your point - its overhyped in Canada. But if someone comes on these boards and says "its the biggest sporting event of the year for him/her" - you shouldn't laugh or say they a wrong with their statement. Other people can't/shouldn't dictate to that person what they consider to be the most important sporting event.
Fair enough but IMO should be added IMO. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad