WJC: A bit overhyped perhaps?

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Canada love the WJC's. I like them too, I mean it's hockey I'll watch regardless who is playing. But I'm finding the hype to be getting a bit too much. TSN pushes this thing like it's the olympics or the FIFA world cup. Today there was a full slate of NHL games, 5 Canadian teams in action, and a Raptors game, and they lead off with the Canada-Czech Republic tune up game.

This tournament is actually very boring in comparison to the World Championships. It's basically let's watch Canada demolish everyone until they face the one or at most two other good teams that tend to show up every year. Sometimes it's the US, Russia or Sweden. Canada's depth is so much bigger than any other country's (although the US has been making strides), that they will always be the favorites. I like cheering more for the Canadian team in the World Championships where they aren't usually favored to spank everyone.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to watch or anything, but I just think had it not been for the TSN publicity machine pushing this thing like crazy, it would probably be something that really only mattered to die-hard fans who are interested in prospects.

The Big Swede*

The only think I like watching more then the WJC are watching the Leafs.

The World Juniors to me are much more exiting then both the World Championships(by far) and the Olympics.

These kids lay it on the line every single shift and are trying to prove to the teams that drafted them,that they made the right decision

alienanton*

uh last year canada went down to the last minute against the U.S., had to tie the game w/ 5 seconds left against russia, before even getting to sweden.

in no way are they 'demolishing' everyone to the gold medal game.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Canada love the WJC's. I like them too, I mean it's hockey I'll watch regardless who is playing. But I'm finding the hype to be getting a bit too much. TSN pushes this thing like it's the olympics or the FIFA world cup. Today there was a full slate of NHL games, 5 Canadian teams in action, and a Raptors game, and they lead off with the Canada-Czech Republic tune up game.

This tournament is actually very boring in comparison to the World Championships. It's basically let's watch Canada demolish everyone until they face the one or at most two other good teams that tend to show up every year. Sometimes it's the US, Russia or Sweden. Canada's depth is so much bigger than any other country's (although the US has been making strides), that they will always be the favorites. I like cheering more for the Canadian team in the World Championships where they aren't usually favored to spank everyone.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to watch or anything, but I just think had it not been for the TSN publicity machine pushing this thing like crazy, it would probably be something that really only mattered to die-hard fans who are interested in prospects.

The hype factor is huge but it is truly is great to watch. Tonight I was watching the game and even though it was exhibtion, it was still better to watch than an NHL game. At one point during the first period I flicked over to the Washington Caps game and it was like night and day. Part of it has to with TSN's superior presentation (sound, colour etc.) I think, but it is just better to watch than a regular season NHL game.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
uh last year canada went down to the last minute against the U.S., had to tie the game w/ 5 seconds left against russia, before even getting to sweden.

in no way are they 'demolishing' everyone to the gold medal game.

OK they had two close games. The game that everyone was looking forward to before the tournament, Canada-Sweden, was a snoozer.

I just think it would make for a better tournament if you don't have the same team winning it 6 times in a row.

Like I said, I like the tournament. There have been great games. The 04 final vs the US. The Toews Shootout. Halischuk scoring in overtime. Tavares vs. the US. The semi-final against Russia last season.

I just don't know if it's as important as people make it out to be. It seems like no other country even cares about it that much.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
I think alot of people forget that before this recent streak of 5 wins in a row, Canada didn't win a gold medal for 7 years in a row before that. There are cycles of wealth in junior hockey players, and eventually it turns its tide. Could very well start this year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The hype factor is huge but it is truly is great to watch. Tonight I was watching the game and even though it was exhibtion, it was still better to watch than an NHL game. At one point during the first period I flicked over to the Washington Caps game and it was like night and day. Part of it has to with TSN's superior presentation (sound, colour etc.) I think, but it is just better to watch than a regular season NHL game.

Yeah, a December/January NHL game is definitely a lot more boring than a WJC game.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006

I agree with you when its a tournament game, but not exhibition. If the effort and dedication isn't at full blast in this level, it doesn't make up for the vastly superior speed of game and skill level of a regular season NHL game.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Yeah, a December/January NHL game is definitely a lot more boring than a WJC game.

I think one may find it more interesting because each game means more. So a 2-1 SO win in a December NHL can seem boring, but the exact same game in the quarter finals of the WJC may seem riveting.

But there are a lot more clunkers in the WJC than in the NHL, because you have teams like Belarus, Latvia and Kazakhstan that simply cannot compete with the upper echelon teams, while that doesn't happen in the NHL. Even the Hurricanes are capable of beating anyone in the league.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The WJCs are extremely exciting are you kidding? And your comparing the WCs to this? The WCs is a damn joke. This tournament is filled with top prospects and top draftees. The WCs is filled with career AHLers (or other non NHL leagues) and a handful of decent NHL players.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
Christmas holidays would mean nothing to me without Junior hockey.
Me and my Dad used to watch all games we could together, may he rest in peace.

I look forward to this.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
to each their own i guess but i love the wjc. maybe its cuz the oilers routinely suck so i get more excited about our "future potential" than the actual team around this time of year. as noted wjc is all top talent i dont wanna watch hnat domechelli score on some unknown slovak goalie. when the nhl returns i will def follow more closely but watching hall vs fowler or mps rip past nhl'ers like sbisa and pietro just makes me more excited than horcoff and o sullivan combine for a -10

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
World Championships are better?

Blasphemy. I'm a hardcore Oilers fan who would prefer to watch a World Junior tune-up game to an Oilers game. And not because I'm down on the Oilers.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
The WJCs are extremely exciting are you kidding? And your comparing the WCs to this? The WCs is a damn joke. This tournament is filled with top prospects and top draftees. The WCs is filled with career AHLers (or other non NHL leagues) and a handful of decent NHL players.

1. Very few AHLers play in the WC.
2. With very, very few exceptions, pretty much all players in men's leagues are better hockey players than juniors. In fact, many, if not most WJC players, will not make the NHL.
3, I would much rather watch a regular season NHL game than a WJC exhibition game. I actually find the WJC rather dull until the semi-finals, when all the weak teams are weeded out.
4. This tournament is overhyped in Canada to the point where I usually find myself cheering against Canada.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
1. Very few AHLers play in the WC.
2. With very, very few exceptions, pretty much all players in men's leagues are better hockey players than juniors. In fact, many, if not most WJC players, will not make the NHL.
3, I would much rather watch a regular season NHL game than a WJC exhibition game. I actually find the WJC rather dull until the semi-finals, when all the weak teams are weeded out.
4. This tournament is overhyped in Canada to the point where I usually find myself cheering against Canada.

2. Which is why the hockey is worse. Junior hockey as a rule is more entertaining than NHL hockey.

3. There were no weak teams in these three exhibition games that were televised.

4. Separatists. :rolleyes:

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
so who do u choose to cheer for...latvia?
i think its hyped because the majority of canadian hockey fans love the tourny. it seems the minority may be a bit butt hurt but oh well

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
so who do u choose to cheer for...latvia?
i think its hyped because the majority of canadian hockey fans love the tourny. it seems the minority may be a bit butt hurt but oh well

What do you mean?
Hyped because of Canadians? Minority butt hurt? Who is the minority in your eyes?

I guess since you live where you live, you see things your way. You have no fair way to see what this tournament means to us.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007

100% agree. I like watching the upcoming prospects like Hall that get hype and this is my first chance to see them play. Also last years WJC was the most exciting in a long time.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Last years WJC was probably the most amazing experience anybody could experience.

The fans were crazy, the team was good, and the stories were unreal.

WJC is the best tourney behind the Olympics.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah there's a serious problem when highlights from an exhibition game lead off Sportcentre.

There are NHL and other pro sports going on tonight, including the Leafs and Habs and TSN leads off with Canada exhibition highlights? are you kidding me?

Who cares!!!! it's a freaking exhibition game. OMG Taylor Hall scored!!!!!!! wow.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
What do you mean?
Hyped because of Canadians? Minority butt hurt? Who is the minority in your eyes?

I guess since you live where you live, you see things your way. You have no fair way to see what this tournament means to us.

He was talking about the majority of Canadian hockey fans that like the WJCs, and the minority who don't. His post had nothing to do with anyone other than Canadians, so chill out a little.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
4. Separatists. :rolleyes:

ffs don't turn this into a political thread... I'm a separatist and I do not hate Canada for that matter... It's not a Us against You. It's a Us against Us. Ugh, you guys just won't understand I guess.

I will cheer for Canada.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
ffs don't turn this into a political thread... I'm a separatist and I do not hate Canada for that matter... It's not a Us against You. It's a Us against Us. Ugh, you guys just won't understand I guess.

I will cheer for Canada.

Oh wow, well thanks for that!

Really appreciate your support sepertist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad