Confirmed with Link: a 5th to ott for sanford

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
What's the point? We're not making the playoffs, even if he's better than a 4th liner. It's just a 5th, but every pick still increases our odds of getting lucky (or added to a different meaningful trade...). I'd rather get another shot at a goalie or something... :dunno:

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Wow... tough crowd.
To be fair, given this team and this season, a tough crowd seems warranted.

I don’t see the point of this one at all, except as a justification for the Chevy “backfill” strategy.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
In a vacuum the value is fine and he's not a bad player.

But what is the point, Chevy clearly trying to fake that we can still make playoffs.

A 5th isn't a lot but every bullet in the chamber helps. Copp was a 4th, Helle a 5th, Appleton 7th, etc.

Reactions: JetsUK

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
In a vacuum the value is fine and he's not a bad player.

But what is the point, Chevy clearly trying to fake that we can still make playoffs.

A 5th isn't a lot but every bullet in the chamber helps. Copp was a 4th, Helle a 5th, Appleton 7th, etc.
Y’know, we actually can make the playoffs.

Sheesh, a lot of dramatic tears over a 5th round pick.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Right?

Overall, I think Chevy was trying to play the tdl politically the best he could.

He didn't want to send the sell message to the average fan or the players, but he did want to get something back for a team grown asset.

It's a 5th, and maybe being on a team in the hunt will revitalize Sanford. Guys like ves, brooks, poganski just weren't getting it done, and the Moose have something good going down there.

I don't mind the cost benefit on this deal at all.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
There was nothing dramatic about that post. I even said a 5th is not a lot?

Seems like you're the one making something out of nothing.

How much do you want to bet on us making the playoffs?

I think this is it -- Chevy has spent years dropping a 4th here, a 5th there, a 3rd and even 2nd there, and now we have a season's worth of complaints about how our thin prospect cupboard isn't getting it done. You want an in-house Copp-lite replacement? Look no further than the Apples/ Gus team. Want a big-bodied versatile player who might be able to get the job done on that 3rd or kick-start the 4th? Welcome, Mr Barron!

It isn't this 5th. It's all the 5ths -- and what has been the payoff? In this case, I suppose, the ideal is they Zach S can return to form and the Jets can extend him on s show-me for minimal cost. So we'll see.

And for the record, I doubt any casual fan read today's papers and thought,, "Man -- at last Chevy has landed Zach Sanford! Count me in for the rest of the season!" It may have been a low cost, but it was still a cost.

I'm happy to see Apples back, but I genuinely have no idea what Chevy's vision for this team is at this point. There seems to be so little logic in the moves that he makes. Maybe the offseason will clarify things.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
There was nothing dramatic about that post. I even said a 5th is not a lot?

Seems like you're the one making something out of nothing.

How much do you want to bet on us making the playoffs?

Vegas is in trouble (goalie hurt for awhile, Stone out, the TDL fiasco) so we can certainly overtake them. We then just need to beat out one of LA, Edmonton or Dallas. I am thinking LA.

Odds currently are not in our favour but it’s also not an impossible hill to climb. Our opponents for the next while are lesser teams.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I think this is it -- Chevy has spent years dropping a 4th here, a 5th there, a 3rd and even 2nd there, and now we have a season's worth of complaints about how our thin prospect cupboard isn't getting it done. You want an in-house Copp-lite replacement? Look no further than the Apples/ Gus team. Want a big-bodied versatile player who might be able to get the job done on that 3rd or kick-start the 4th? Welcome, Mr Barron!

It isn't this 5th. It's all the 5ths -- and what has been the payoff? In this case, I suppose, the ideal is they Zach S can return to form and the Jets can extend him on s show-me for minimal cost. So we'll see.

And for the record, I doubt any casual fan read today's papers and thought,, "Man -- at last Chevy has landed Zach Sanford! Count me in for the rest of the season!" It may have been a low cost, but it was still a cost.

I'm happy to see Apples back, but I genuinely have no idea what Chevy's vision for this team is at this point. There seems to be so little logic in the moves that he makes. Maybe the offseason will clarify things.

He explained his logic. He made a business decision with respect to Copp but didn’t want to leave the team with a glaring hole for this season as yes, we’re still in position to make the playoffs.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Vegas is in trouble (goalie hurt for awhile, Stone out, the TDL fiasco) so we can certainly overtake them. We then just need to beat out one of LA, Edmonton or Dallas. I am thinking LA.

Odds currently are not in our favour but it’s also not an impossible hill to climb. Our opponents for the next while are lesser teams.

No we don't.

The Central has 4 playoff teams - Colorado, St Louis, Minnesota, Nashville. One of those is a WC and we aren't catching them. So it's one spot.

The Pacific spots are Calgary, and then probably Edmonton. After that one of LA or Vegas, or even Vancouver will make it as the 3rd places team.

Dallas is the key team here as they're only going to make it as the last WC team. We still need more points than LA or Vancouver or Vegas even if Dallas falter, and right now LA is on 76 points to our 68. It's likely that the top 3 finish Calgary Edmonton and LA, leaving us to fight it out with Dallas, Vegas and Vancouver.

To say we just need to beat out one of those 3 teams is wrong, because A) two of those teams are almost 10 points up on the Jets already, and B) the teams closest to the Jets are all ahead or tied right now, so the Pacific teams are important to worry about too.

Dallas is the big competition right now. They also have games in hand. At least the Jets have a soft schedule coming up, bit it's still unlikely the team makes it, and Sanford doesn't improve those chances.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
He explained his logic. He made a business decision with respect to Copp but didn’t want to leave the team with a glaring hole for this season as yes, we’re still in position to make the playoffs.

Do you think Zach Sanford fills that Copp-sized hole? Or was that Mason Appleton? Or Morgan Barron?

Or is this cumulative backfill what is going to lift us to the playoffs?

Any glaring hole left by Copp is most likely filled by Apples, presumably. I view Sanford as someone who inevitably pushes a better player in Svetch down, or keeps a likely better one in Gus out.

OTOH, he has a history of decent production. If he comes good, I'll be delighted.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
No we don't.

The Central has 4 playoff teams - Colorado, St Louis, Minnesota, Nashville. One of those is a WC and we aren't catching them. So it's one spot.

The Pacific spots are Calgary, and then probably Edmonton. After that one of LA or Vegas, or even Vancouver will make it as the 3rd places team.

Dallas is the key team here as they're only going to make it as the last WC team. We still need more points than LA or Vancouver or Vegas even if Dallas falter, and right now LA is on 76 points to our 68. It's likely that the top 3 finish Calgary Edmonton and LA, leaving us to fight it out with Dallas, Vegas and Vancouver.

To say we just need to beat out one of those 3 teams is wrong, because A) two of those teams are almost 10 points up on the Jets already, and B) the teams closest to the Jets are all ahead or tied right now, so the Pacific teams are important to worry about too.

Dallas is the big competition right now. They also have games in hand. At least the Jets have a soft schedule coming up, bit it's still unlikely the team makes it, and Sanford doesn't improve those chances.

Oh crap... you're right. We are definitely farked! :eek3:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Do you think Zach Sanford fills that Copp-sized hole? Or was that Mason Appleton? Or Morgan Barron?

Or is this cumulative backfill what is going to lift us to the playoffs?

Any glaring hole left by Copp is most likely filled by Apples, presumably. I view Sanford as someone who inevitably pushes a better player in Svetch down, or keeps a likely better one in Gus out.

OTOH, he has a history of decent production. If he comes good, I'll be delighted.

Apples and Sanford are technically the replacement for Copp and pushing one of our AHL forwards out of the line-up. I am not saying that overall we improved. We didn't. Frankly, this probably all comes down to Hellebuyck being more consistent. Who knows what happens over the course of 19 games? All I know is that the Jets have the talent to put together a solid streak and secure that spot but will they? I dunno.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Apples and Sanford are technically the replacement for Copp and pushing one of our AHL forwards out of the line-up. I am not saying that overall we improved. We didn't. Frankly, this probably all comes down to Hellebuyck being more consistent. Who knows what happens over the course of 19 games? All I know is that the Jets have the talent to put together a solid streak and secure that spot but will they? I dunno.
That's it right there. Hellebuyck is the guy who will determine if we make it or not.

Reactions: thereturn

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

That's it right there. Hellebuyck is the guy who will determine if we make it or not.

Fair enough.

I have decided to reserve my angst for the offseason. If we get in, we get in. If we miss, as is most likely, as least there's the hope for significant positive changes going forward.

Reactions: thereturn and Jet

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
If someone had come on here back in the early part of the season, when the team was doing well and everyone was optimistic, and showed us what the team scoring stats were on March 22nd, we would have said "Great, it looks like everything is going well this year" - Connor is having a fantastic season, Scheifele and Wheeler are around a point per game, Dubois is way better than last year, Ehlers must have missed some games but is contributing a lot, Stastny has more goals than anyone would have expected ... until we got to Hellebuyck's stats and then it would have been ... "Uh, what's going on here?! Did they mix up Comrie with Hellebuyck?"

Reactions: Guffman and Jet

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island

I don't see tears, I see a lot of metaphorical shoulder shrugs and raised eyebrows. (of course, I could have missed the typical over the top "fire Chevy" posts - I'm skimming... Those would be silly.)

To be fair, as some have said, there's a "chance" - but we still have to go on a 10+ game winning streak (or spread out equivalent, above a normal .600 pace - haven't done the math recently, but it isn't better than 20 games ago...)

I can see that it's a morale thing, "look, I'm not giving up on you guys" - but I'd much rather get our prospects on ELC's NHL time than another below average player that won't stick around. But hey, maybe he's a diamond in the rough and he'll play with us for another 3-5 years - that would be best case scenario. But I wouldn't gamble on it.

I'm grateful that it's 'only' a 5th round. Much better than some previous trade deadline pickups. (And I love getting Apples back)

Last edited:
Reactions: Guffman

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I think he's clearly trying to do what he's always done here. Walk that line between rebuilding and competing.

This deadline seems reminiscent of those earlier ones where the team bought and sold.

I think he is trying to do what he did 15-18 and retool on the fly. But instead of the old core being Ladd, Buff, Little and Wheeler it is now Scheifele, JoMo, Conner, Ehlers, Helle.

So you will likely see a couple of kids like Cole in full time next year and him trying to build the right kind of line around Lowry.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
we seem to have a much easier time getting players to re-sign here then signing ufa's, sanford may have been a guy they were going to be looking at in the off season and spending a 5th to see the fit for both sides may be well worth it.

Reactions: GNP

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
No we don't.

All those lost points versus Dallas this season will ultimately be the downfall of the Jets when Dallas wins their games in hand to secure their spot in the playoffs

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
we seem to have a much easier time getting players to re-sign here then signing ufa's, sanford may have been a guy they were going to be looking at in the off season and spending a 5th to see the fit for both sides may be well worth it.

IDK, a bunch of Sens fans after the trade seemed to suggest that Sanford didn't like playing in Canada

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad