A 32 team league.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I've heard rumours that the Milwaukee Bucks of the NBA are one of the franchises rumoured for relocation or contraction, one of the reasons being the arena itself.

Is this true?

The arena is only 22 years old. YOu would think they could spend $100 million or so to upgrade the concessions, replace seats, add suites, etc. to get another 20-30 years out of it rather than spend $300-$400 million on a brand new arena.

Regardless, I would think an NHL team would not be considered for Milwaukee until an upgrade of some kind is guaranteed.

The Bradley Center is a dump. It needs to be replaced fully

The Bucks are losing money and have been for years. The stadium doesn't compare well to other modern stadiums and the fan support just isn't there on a night to night basis

Milwaukee is not a viable option for NHL

Stadium isn't NHL quality and the city financially would not support another major team especially when the Bucks are having the problems they are having

And Hockey is not popular in Milwaukee area. Hockey is popular in Madison area of Wisconsin and other area's close to Minn border.

Madison is a college city nothing more so there is no viable NHL options in the state

The Bucks will never move as long as Herb Kohl owns the team. The problem with the Bradley Center is a lack of luxury suites and the smallest lower bowl in the NBA. The arena was built for hockey, that's why they talk about needing a new arena because the sightlines for basketball are extremely poor if you're not sitting between the baskets.

If Milwaukee was to ever get an NHL team (not likely) they would need to either upgrade the Bradley Center before the team moved or get a new stadium approved and get approval from the NHL to play in the Bradley Center as is for a few years until the new stadium is built.

The Bucks are losing money and once Kohl is gone that team is gone IMO

Stern has said several small market teams are in trouble. The Pacers and Bucks are both losing money in midwest (Pacers situation is real bad

And the Bradley Center was not built for hockey. That is wrong

Its sightlines are terrible fit for hockey. It reminds me at times of the Allstate Arena from the limited Buck games I have seen

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

The Bucks are losing money and have been for years. The stadium doesn't compare well to other modern stadiums and the fan support just isn't there on a night to night basis

Stadium isn't NHL quality and the city financially would not support another major team especially when the Bucks are having the problems they are having

And Hockey is not popular in Milwaukee area. Hockey is popular in Madison area of Wisconsin and other area's close to Minn border.

Madison is a college city nothing more so there is no viable NHL options in the state

Stern has said several small market teams are in trouble. The Pacers and Bucks are both losing money in midwest (Pacers situation is real bad

Its sightlines are terrible fit for hockey. It reminds me at times of the Allstate Arena from the limited Buck games I have seen

Not only all of that, but Milwaukee would be in Chicago's market area. The same roadblock would exist as in Hamilton (Toronto's market area), Cincinnati (Columbus market area) and Cleveland (Pittsburgh's market area and likely Columbus's as well).

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

Of course I already said that the Bradley Center isn't NHL quality now. I also said that it would need to be renovated or they would need to play there for a few years while a new arena is being built.

Yes, it actually is fairly popular. There is no doubt in my mind that attendance would be good if Milwaukee got an NHL team. They're always right around the top 10 or better in AHL attendance and when they were in the IHL they were the first team to average over 9,000 fans.

Most likely true.

100% not true. The Bradley Center was paid for 100% by the Pettits with the sole intention of bringing an NHL team to Milwaukee, that was Lloyd Pettit's dream.

That's something that we lost (and are just now starting to get back) when economics forced the Bucks into the Bradley Center in 1988. The Bradley Center was built to attract an NHL team to Milwaukee which never did surface. And since the seats are positioned with hockey in mind, it feels remote and distant compared to The MECCA Arena.

http://basketball.ballparks.com/NBA/MilwaukeeBucks/oldindex.htm

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I don't think Milwaukee can support the Brewers and the Bucks and another pro team [unless it's the Packers - and even then I think they take away from one of the first two teams mentioned]. Chicago may be too close to make an NHL team viable long-term; even in the most optimistic scenario, I think an NHL team in Milwaukee is a small-market team that relies on revenue sharing to some extent. That's really all Milwaukee is - the Brewers are a small market, small payroll team hoping to get lucky one year and get into the playoffs and catch lightning in a bottle, while the Bucks are the team guys go to either when they're drafted or the alternatives are the Bobcats, Clippers, Kings or Cavaliers [non-LeBron version].

I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I don't think Milwaukee can support the Brewers and the Bucks and another pro team [unless it's the Packers - and even then I think they take away from one of the first two teams mentioned]. Chicago may be too close to make an NHL team viable long-term; even in the most optimistic scenario, I think an NHL team in Milwaukee is a small-market team that relies on revenue sharing to some extent. That's really all Milwaukee is - the Brewers are a small market, small payroll team hoping to get lucky one year and get into the playoffs and catch lightning in a bottle, while the Bucks are the team guys go to either when they're drafted or the alternatives are the Bobcats, Clippers, Kings or Cavaliers [non-LeBron version].

I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

Obviously. There's no way Milwaukee gets an NHL team with the Bucks still here. The only chance is if the Bucks move and even then it's unlikely. There aren't many people in Wisconsin with the money and ambition to bring/own an NHL team here. The only person I can think of right now is Craig Leipold but he owns the Wild, I doubt he would want to sell again just to bring a team to Milwaukee.

The Brewers aren't really a small payroll team anymore. They were 18th in MLB last year, 17th in 2009 and 15th in 2008. They're more of a mid market team now.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

So, um.........what exactly makes the BRadley Center a dump? Is it not well-maintained.......... as in the washrooms are run-down, seats are broken, etc? I wouldn't think an arena that is barely 20 years old would become so undesirable.

HOw many suites does it have anyways?

I suppose, in the end it may not matter as someone pointed out............Milwaukee may have to pay for territorial rights with Chicago being so close.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
So, um.........what exactly makes the BRadley Center a dump? Is it not well-maintained.......... as in the washrooms are run-down, seats are broken, etc? I wouldn't think an arena that is barely 20 years old would become so undesirable.

Wikipedia said:
The lack of modern features such as revenue-boosting club seating, state-of-the-art sound and lighting systems, along with outdated heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems, deteriorating seating, outdated event production technology, and insufficient parking around the arena, have all contributed to the Bucks being the lowest-valued team in the NBA and near the bottom in team revenue.

The Bradley Center is unique in that it was a gift from a family without any provision for the building's long-term capital needs or annual operating expenses. While the facility is self-sufficient, Bradley Center tenants such as the Bucks are at a disadvantage compared with other NBA teams due to the arrangement.

HOw many suites does it have anyways?

Based on the picture on wikipedia, there looks to be a ring of suites between the lower and upper bowls, so I'd say about 25-30. Club seats are nil.

I suppose, in the end it may not matter as someone pointed out............Milwaukee may have to pay for territorial rights with Chicago being so close.

It'd be worth trying to negotiate again now that Old Man Wirtz has kicked off .. his son seems like a lot less of a jerk.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's interesting how quickly in NA nowadays an arena turn into a "dump". Both ARCO Arena and Bradley Center were built in the late 80s, so I guess 20 years is now the time span before an arena becomes undesirable.

United Center was built in the early 90s and I guess Bell Centre was around the same time. How long until they are "dumps" that need to be replaced?

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
That is what scuttled Pettit's Milwaukee bid for the 1992 expansion, where Tampa Bay and Ottawa were selected.
It'd be worth trying to negotiate again now that Old Man Wirtz has kicked off .. his son seems like a lot less of a jerk.
"Dollar Bill" effectively killed the Milwaukee bid. The expansion fee was $50 million; Mr. Wirtz wanted an additional $50 million from the Milwaukee bid for "territorial indemnification". It's amazing how that would quash this bid.
It's interesting how quickly in NA nowadays an arena turn into a "dump". Both ARCO Arena and Bradley Center were built in the late 80s, so I guess 20 years is now the time span before an arena becomes undesirable.

United Center was built in the early 90s and I guess Bell Centre was around the same time. How long until they are "dumps" that need to be replaced?
United Center apparently was built with the more lucrative luxury suites and club seating. It is United Center that started the entire need for replacement arenas. Take a look at how many NHL and NBA franchises received new arenas during the 1990's, with most coming online during the late 1990's.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
United Center apparently was built with the more lucrative luxury suites and club seating. It is United Center that started the entire need for replacement arenas. Take a look at how many NHL and NBA franchises received new arenas during the 1990's, with most coming online during the late 1990's.

Yeah but it seems like every new building sets the standard higher and people/owners really like the shiny new vibe that new arenas give. But I guess United Center just did a big renovation to update it so that should give it more time.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Yeah but it seems like every new building sets the standard higher and people/owners really like the shiny new vibe that new arenas give. But I guess United Center just did a big renovation to update it so that should give it more time.

There's definitely some one-upsmanship in play here, and it's the markets that can't afford to keep up with the Joneseseses that suffer, which is why you see the NBA Kings and Bucks and Oilers and Islanders in the positions you see them today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad