Prospect Info: #98 Nikita Popugaev (RW)

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Guy had the same number of points in the WHL as Yamamoto and is twice the size.

Anyone know the negatives on this guy?

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

Apparently requested a trade. Labelled with attitude issues and the classic "lazy Russian"

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

He's Russian and didn't score a lot the second half of the season, so that means he's lazy.

There's huge sleeper potential here. He could make a lot of teams look silly in a few years.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Quite a few shootout goals in that clip...our next Viktor Kozlov if nothing else ;)

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
He's Russian and didn't score a lot the second half of the season, so that means he's lazy.

There's huge sleeper potential here. He could make a lot of teams look silly in a few years.

Said it in the other thread but Sokolov fell to the 7th last year for similar reasons, had 48 goals this season

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Seems to have pretty nice hands in tight for such a tall guy with a long stick. Shot seems decent too. I do not see a lot of highlights where he looks like he is skating hard but tall guys sometimes look like they're skating lazy while their long strides eat up ice quickly. Highlights won't show if a guy works hard or not.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It's not a secret that if you're Russian, you're going to drop in the draft from where you "should" be taken. In that context, I love these late 3rd to whenever-after-that picks used on Russian players. This kid dropped like a lead-balloon over where he was projected. Just keep the Russian mafia or oligarchs away from his family, and you may just find a true gem.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
My favorite pick of the day so far. If he doesn't demand to be traded he probably would have been picked in the early 2nd round.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
This is my favorite pick of today. Take the shot with a 4th, its a no lose situation.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Nice! This is the type of drafting you want to see from Castron & co. I thought Popugaev would go earlier on in the draft. Very pleased with this. Boom/bust regardless but as a 4th round pick it's fine. Big guy with skill, I like it.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Between Popugaev and Boqvist I am one happy camper. Popugaev has so much potential. There are red flags for sure, and I'd say there is validity to them, but it's nothing he can't overcome. And if he does he can be a hell of a player. Someone with his size, skill and speed aren't common. Well worth taking at this point in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad